Author Topic: Gardulla's Palace - FINISHED 9/26/06  (Read 30295 times)

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Gardulla's Palace - WIP Updated 7/14/06
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2006, 03:39 AM »
i love it

great design and the details are so cool (not unlike mike beaulieu's dio of jabba's palace) 8)
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Thanks again for all the positive feedback. 

I think I'm going to do a major rework on one part of this diorama.  Inspiration hit over the weekend.  However, since I'm getting close to finishing things up so I'm thinking about holding off future updates until the Photonovel is ready so that there is some surprise...

As far as the comments go. 

Jedistyle - The general consensus is that the tables are the "weakest" part so far.  I kind of sculpted them on the fly.  I'm probably keep them but I might make some bigger versions too.

babyjawa - (1) to "thicken" the door arches, I glued a piece of styrene that I cut from a "for sale" sign.  (2) washes are applied with very watered down paints.  I but a base coat down of the lighter tan and then wash with a watered down dark brown.  I just brush it over and blot it dry if its too much.  I'm really just trying to bring out the details from the spackle. 

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #62 on: September 2, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Just a quick bump to let Brent know that I've some of the softgoods he asked for!  :)  Photos forthcoming pending his approval...

... the Findswoman

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 3, 2006, 09:38 AM »
Thanks again finds... Just to be a tease, I'm thinking about holding those back even a bit more.  This project is almost finished.  With any luck, I can put the finishing touches on it next week.  Shortly after that the Photonovel will be ready for its "debut"

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 5, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Personally I cant wait. ;D

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2006, 11:52 AM »
Bumpity, bump, bump.... I just got a PM from findswoman.  She was making some "soft goods" extras to help me complete this project.  Apparently, she's got them all finished and should be shipped soon.  That means that all the parts to make up this diorama project are finished. 

If all the stars align, I'll be able to take some photos on Friday night (before I leave for a weekend trip).  However, since this diorama was built entirely for photonovel work I'm probably going to have to wait for the next chapter to really show it off.

I'll try to give you at least one or two preview pics on Friday though :)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2006, 08:28 PM »
Dammit...YOU TEASE!!!! ;D

Cant wait. ;D

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2006, 10:38 PM »
Soft goods are on their way to you, Brent!  Expect them very soon!  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2006, 02:42 AM »
Well, I know that I said I wouldn't show the finished Palace until after the next chapter of the Photonovel is finished.  However, I just couldn't wait  :D I'm very pleased with how this whole project came together.  There will be many many more pictures in the photonovel and after the photonovel.

But for now, here are a few photos for your enjoyment:

A special HUGE thanks goes out to findswoman for her excellent "soft goods"  She is responsible for the rugs, blankets, pillows, and wall hangings.  THANKS again!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 02:48 AM by BrentS »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Gardulla's Palace - FINISHED 9/26/06
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2006, 03:53 AM »
I think it is fair to say this has completely blown my expectations out of the water. You really did a top notch job on this 'photonovel set.' It sure looks like a full blown dio to me. All the little details you've added since the last update look fantastic. Esther did a marvelous job on all the tapestries and pillows.

It's so hard to pick out a favorite aspect in all of this. there is so much to look at. The little stage lights really stand out for me though, it's the little details like that make this dio so visually appealing. I really like the little trinkets of the shelves in Shmi's little bedding area. The Gatorade bottle works very well as a coolant tank too. :)

I'm curios where are Shmi's bedroom and that droid in relation to the main room, are they through the door to the left of Gardulla there or do you clear out the main hall and rearrange it for those particular shots? From what I can tell you've done a very good job with the layout. It should be fairly easy to shoot different spots in different angles with a slightly different furniture set-up to make it look like a completely different dio.

I can't wait to see it in action!
"This is the way."

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2006, 11:51 AM »
This is absolutley a fantastic dio!  I really like all the little touches you added, like that cool machine the droid is using.  The walls and floor look fantastic, and all your characters you made for it look great!  Can't wait to see it in action!
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2006, 05:20 PM »
I am totally speechless. This is AWESOME!!! Well worth the wait. I wanna see more pictures. You have done a fantastic job on this Brent.

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 1, 2006, 09:39 AM »
Well done I saw the first test shots of it and nwo I see the finished oen it rocks well done, this looks cool.

Love the machine that the 2-1B is operating what is it, drinks dispenser perhaps.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 1, 2006, 09:39 PM »
I just creamed myself. I love it.  :-*

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 3, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm glad everyone likes it so much.  Its been a great project to work on and took so much longer than I ever expected.

Jediknight - hope you had a towel handy  ;)  but come on, its not that good.

Captain J Sparrow - thanks!  as far as the machine... you'll have to wait for the Photonovel to find that out.

Ennis - Thanks again!  I know you've been waiting for these.  Once I realized that it was going to take so long to finish up the PN photography, I figured I couldn't keep you waiting to much more.  There are lots and lots of more pictures planned.

CC - glad you liked it.  I really think its the little touches that set these apart.  I'm not conviced I added enough but I'm going with it as is for now!

Ryan - Too much praise!  It really was built to be a photonovel set.  However, it certainly looks and feels like a full diorama.  Most of time I put these up and take a few photos and then take it back down.  I left this up for a few days and just sort of looked at it :)  As far as how the diorama is put together.  The droid room is off to the left throught he curtain.  However, since each of those other rooms is just part of the "set" it doesn't exactly flow together.  If you look behind the curtain you can see the door that is beside the medical droid.  For the main chamber, I just pushed the other items in that room to the side.  Shmi's chamber is in a room directly behind the main chamber (to the left of the gate).  You can't actually see it in any of the shots I provided.