Author Topic: 10,000 Days  (Read 1519 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
10,000 Days
« on: June 1, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Tool's "10,000 Days" has been out for just short of a month now...shame on me for just now getting a topic started on it.  :)

It took me a while to really get into it.  I bought it the day it came out and listened to it that day, but didn't listen to it again for another week.  At first, while I liked it, all I could think was "It's good, but not as good as Lateralus."  Hard to top that CD though.  Now that I've listened to it more and given it a chance to sink in, I can't get it out of my CD player.  I actually think they might have toped their effort of Lateralus, which I thought would be impossible.

Wings For Marie/10,000 Days and Blame Hoffman/Rosetta Stoned are ******* mind blowing, particularly Rosetta Stoned.  Some of the timings and changes in that song took me a few listens to figure out, and I'm usually damn good out figuring out odd times.  :)  Very little 4/4 on the entire album, a lot more polymeters than they've used in the past (how about Danny Carey playing in 3/4 and 5/8 at the same time...bloody freakin' hell), but they continue to use odd times without making some of it incomprehensible.  What I really like about the CD is that it doesn't rely on being heavy as much to relay its more powerful moments, the way Lateralus did and Aenima to a greater degree.    The gradual build-up in "10,000 Days" through the first half of the song is a good example, as is the end of "Right In Two".  And I think Justin Chancellor really established himself with the various melodic basslines in some of the tunes.  About the only song I don't really get into is "The Pot".  Decent riffs, but I'm not a big fan of the way Maynard uses his voice through some of it.

So what do you all think of it?

John

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: 10,000 Days
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2006, 12:39 PM »
I love it. I still like Aenima the best, but then again, I still need to listen to it more to let in sink in. Tool can do no wrong. One thing I did notice about this CD is that there seems to be more instrumental parts (sans vocals) than on past releases. And the time signatures are awesome, I agree, but that's nothing new--though they are getting more numerous.

I just wish I had the time and money to go see them live again. Of all the live shows I've seen, Tool was simply the best. The sound, the visual, everything. Thanks for reminding me to slip this disc back in the player for the commute. 

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2006, 05:10 AM »
It's a mindblower, all right.  I don't think it's all around as cohesive as either Aenima or Lateralus, but it's a very rich record that gets better with repeat listens.  I think Lateralus is an entirely perfect record, so it's pretty tough to top, but 10,000 Days is better than anything else I've heard since Lateralus came out.

Definite favorites are Wings 1 & 2, Jambi, and Right in Two.

There are parts of the album, though (e.g., various verses from "Vicarious"), that sound a lot more "A Perfect Circle" than Tool, and I don't mean that in a good way.  The music's obviously better, but Maynard seems to be playing similar vocal tricks.  I can't really put my finger on it, but do you know what I mean?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2006, 06:48 PM »
And the time signatures are awesome, I agree, but that's nothing new--though they are getting more numerous.

It's insane.  They used a ton in Lateralus and came back with even more for 10000 Days.  What I dig is the polymeters.  As much as I love to hear them, odd times can get a little stale if overused, but throwing various times on top of each other makes it interesting.  I find it funny that they've kind of made 5 their standard time.  :)

There are parts of the album, though (e.g., various verses from "Vicarious"), that sound a lot more "A Perfect Circle" than Tool, and I don't mean that in a good way.  The music's obviously better, but Maynard seems to be playing similar vocal tricks.  I can't really put my finger on it, but do you know what I mean?

Not really.  :)  Got any specific examples?  I have been listening to it today and haven't heard anything vocally that I found to be "recycled".  Obviously when you're listening to any guy that's done 8 albums you're going to find a certain amount of that. 

John

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Not only is the music great, but I like what they've done with the CD case!  That 3-D effect is so cool!
This is the way.

I have spoken.