Author Topic: Why Speederbikes On Endor?  (Read 6808 times)

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Re: Why Speederbikes On Endor?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 01:26 AM »
BF has speeder bikes on Tatooine.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 03:12 AM »
Battlefront you mean?

BF is, in my opinion, very loose source material for Star Wars...  A vehicle in it may look cool (the skiffs for instance) but as far as what's in it being good sources to cite in a discussion or debate, I think it falls sort of short in credibility...  That's not to say it's wrong though as the films have established that repulsor craft of all types work on Tatooine anyway, but Battlefront really hasn't ever struck me as something that would be good back-up to one's argument. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Not in the least, as Battlefront also features the Rebel Alliance boarding Imperial Star Destroyers in Republic LAAT Gunships.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 08:28 PM »
Exactly...  What I'd say BF is good for is some reference material from time to time...  The battle skiff for instance is a cool design, it's plausible as a field piece for either side...  It's cool.  But at the same time vehicles materialize before your eyes on planets, they're readily available to either side to just hop in and operate...

Plus I'd take issue with the look and style of character designs...  Fleet Troopers are only seen running in battle with ehavy weapons and no camo, while Commandoes are the grunts...  Pilots are running around assembling field necessities that an engineering unit would do...  And that's not even getting into BF2 with its half-hearted clone designs that aren't specific to planets and such as they should be... 

BF is just something I look at and don't look to at all for hard "facts" to pull into debate.  There's some cool designs I'd incorporate, but BF hardly had a single-player storyline to it, and that it did have was really hollow at best.  It's not like a game like say X-Wing or Force Commander where story is integral to the game...  Where elements that erupt in battle are plot points and such.  In BF2 Obi-Wan Kenobi just all of a sudden runs into Grievous in a hangar...  story is out the window, and with that I'd say that the game's credibility as a source also goes out the window.  The battle skiff is cool and believable as a weapon in any setting almost but that's the only kinda crap I'd pull from that game as something I'd want in "my" Star Wars.  If that makes sense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 04:24 PM »
This is the ******* stupidest story of all time. I'll just go on assuming she was another one of the "Star Whores". I hate how all these stories have to criss-cross one another and end up with everyone "bein' friends"...it makes the "wretched hive of scum and villainy" into the ******* happy hands club.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 07:11 PM »
This is the ******* stupidest story of all time. I'll just go on assuming she was another one of the "Star Whores". I hate how all these stories have to criss-cross one another and end up with everyone "bein' friends"...it makes the "wretched hive of scum and villainy" into the ******* happy hands club.
What does this have to do with speeder bikes on Endor???

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 01:32 PM »
Absolutely nothing. But I was actually replying to this post...

From "the man" - aka Starwars.com :

A dewback is able to withstand the heat and dust that often leads to mechanical breakdown in modern high-tech conveyances.

How does this translate into what you are claiming? That that the Imperials could not make use of Speeder Bikes due to the elements?

Like Jesse said :
I buy absolutely NOTHING about sand damaging equipment.  It didn't damage swoops or land/air speeders, so speederbikes wouldn't be adversely effected either...  Or so one would think, despite what some half-assed EU maybe says.

And yes, the Star Wars Databanks count in my mind as Half-assed EU... This is the same source that says the 501st served in every major on-screen campaign during the Clone Wars, and Rebellion.
Oh look... the Star Wars Databanks are half assed EU stories.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Ohhh, ok, gotcha. :)