Author Topic: Luke and Darth: A New Hope...What are they?  (Read 9897 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Luke and Darth: A New Hope...What are they?
« on: May 20, 2003, 09:48 AM »
A month or so ago TPU posted a retailer order sheet which contained a new Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader separate from the ROTJ versions.  Kebco recently posted the same bit of news but added that they were from ANH.

Are they repacks or are they new figures.  And if they are repacks, which ones do you think they are?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Luke and Darth: A New Hope...What are they?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 11:20 AM »
I noticed that last night as well when I was checking what my next shipment of figures from Kebco will be.  They do say they're from ANH, but I can't find any information about these two figures anywhere.

I'm dying to know as well.
dustrho

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 12:22 PM »
Well, with the way reHashbro has been going, I'd say they are repacks of Darth (maybe from the Masters 2-apck) and Luke with Floppy hat.  Maybe they will toss in a poncho
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 03:19 PM »
If Hasbro's got half a brain, the Vader will indeed be the same one from the next-to-impossible to find MOTDS 2-pack - ala the single carded MOTDS Maul already announced.  It's the ANH version of Vader, and a very nice one at that.  If Hasbro stuck with figures of this nature - VHTF stuff that was one of the better figure versions (Commtech R2, Stormie, Leia, Ep.1 later waves), the repacks wouldn't be such a big deal.  In fact they'd be highly anticipated and appreciated.

And yes, I realize that whole need to keep some of the main characters "fresh" at the retail pegs, which I can live with.  But at least pick some that aren't STILL at retail, like that damned KE Jango!  What's up with that?!?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Like FX-7 said, it's Hasbro..they have to be repacks.  I thought it was an error actually (that TRU put ANH instead of ROTJ) but if it's not, I hope it's Vader from the sith lord two pack.  As for Luke, well it doesn't really matter which one because I have all that I need and will pass on it.

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 03:29 PM »
When this first came up I thought they were just the ROTJ Vader and Luke on new cards, I'm sticking by that until I see more proof, but this was just the second confirmation

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 11:41 PM »
I guess I'll have a little optimism here, and pray that this is what Hasbro has in store for us:

Vader - MOTD version, it's a great figure already and too hard to get

Luke - new Stormtrooper version - would anyone pass it up?

I truly hope the Luke is an all new Luke, and not a Tatooine version.  I would really like a new Stormtrooper version, but could live with one of him in X-Wing gear or Ceremony gear.  But not Tatooine gear.  Yuck.  And if they re-release the floppy hat version, I think it would be a dumb move since it was just offered again with the TRU Landspeeder.  Oh, how I hope it's an all new Stormtrooper Luke...

:P

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 10:07 AM »
I could see Hasbro releasing the MOTDS Vader on a card and reissuing the POTJ X-wing Luke.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 10:10 AM »
That X-Wing Luke was such a pegwarmer that I hope they don't  I picked up around 30 of him to do some helmet customs and head swaps and complete Red and Yellow Squadrons as well as a mess of generic Blue Decaled pilots.  Still haven't done much with them

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 11:44 AM »
My money is on repacks. Considering Hasbro's reissuing Darth Maul from the Masters of the Dark Side 2-pack, I'd bet they're doing the same with Vader. This is a great vanilla ANH Vader sculpt and deserves to be offered again.

As for Luke, I'm expecting any one of the recent Tatooine versions (TRU Landspeeder, maybe?) finally with a poncho.
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2003, 04:22 PM »
I am hoping Luke will come with a poncho regardless if it's a rehash or not.  I think I'm all Vadered out at the moment.  

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 03:31 PM »
When this first came up I thought they were just the ROTJ Vader and Luke on new cards, I'm sticking by that until I see more proof, but this was just the second confirmation

I would have to agree with you.

The Jedi Duel Vader and Jedi Luke due this summer are planned as the last wave of Collection 1 before it switches to "Clone Wars".

So, when I initially read of the "re-issue" Luke and Vader being in future Collection 2 Saga cases, I just assumed that these were the Jedi Duel figures re-carded onto Collection 2 cards in order to pump out more of the figures to the market.

That way, they don't have to include the "collection 1" Luke and Vader in the future collection 1 "clone wars" assortment cases to mix up retailers.  They just move them to Collection 2 and move on.

Probably their way of insuring that whole "everyone who wants one gets one" for Luke and Vader since so many fans are crying out for a new Jedi Luke!

So, until I read proof otherwise, I'll just assume it's the Jedi Duel Vader and Luke we already know about...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 06:56 AM »
They are the ROTJ Vader and Luke that have been displayed at various toy conventions

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2003, 09:19 PM »
Just cruising around Amok Toys contemplating the Cantina sets and I stumbled across this image:

or if the image doesn't work clicky me

Here is the Luke, similar to the images seen previously from the toys shows, as mentioned above:

again, just in case clicky 2

Nice stuff.  I really like the Luke, though not sure how to get a Vader into the appropriate position (perhaps the one above works for what I have in mind).  Always welcome a RH Vader.  I have a loose and carded from POTF2, but the more, the merrier ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2003, 11:05 PM »
That Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker look pretty good!  The only way I'll get them is through Kebco.
dustrho