Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2006  (Read 71506 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2006
« Reply #165 on: September 1, 2006, 08:41 AM »

I could have taken him, I'd rather have my two guys...my great football mind will prove me right, yet again

Yet again?

You got beat by Kev last year (no disrespect Kev) and the year before that when Rob won you finished 12th.

"Great football mind"?  More like "mind of a football".

;)
The only reason I lost last year is because my RB's were done in Week 15 due to clkinching divisions far too early, hopefully that doesn't happen again

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 1, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Well I know what I'm doing for the most part when it comes to FF (Hell, I got a 1400 yard / 14 TD year out of Owens en route to a championship) and I passed on him twice this time through.  I'm trying to avoid the risks this year - Jamal Lewis notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2006, 10:23 AM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 1, 2006, 12:14 PM »
I remain convinced that luck still has tons to do with it.  Solid drafting is fine and all, but there will always be injuries and surprises from guys.  I think my team is pretty solid, but it's still a tough call because you just never know who will show. 

I agonized over who to pick when I saw the order.  Edge was there, but so many questions about the line in Arizona.  But who else to take?  Thankfully Jordan was there when it came back, so we'll see if we can't duplicate Scott's success with him last year. 

In retrospect, I'd rather pick at the top of the order than the bottom, Arod in baseball notwithstanding.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 1, 2006, 12:24 PM »
No doubt - every team in the league is one or two major injuries away from being complete crap at all times.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 1, 2006, 01:22 PM »
I just want to say "notwithstanding" because I never do, and Bug and Zod both just used it back to back.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 2, 2006, 04:59 PM »
Ouch.

Texans | D. Davis placed on IR
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:57:15 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have placed RB Domanick Davis (knee) on Injured Reserve, ending his 2006 season.

Kevin's repeat chances just took their biggest hit since he drafted a kicker in the fifth.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2006, 05:00 PM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 2, 2006, 11:12 PM »
Ouch.

Texans | D. Davis placed on IR
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:57:15 -0700

HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have placed RB Domanick Davis (knee) on Injured Reserve, ending his 2006 season.

Kevin's repeat chances just took their biggest hit since he drafted a kicker in the fifth.

Means nothing.  His best player was taken in the 7th round last year, and his 1st rounder sucked, then got injured and sat out the rest of the season.

You should just worry about facing me in Week 1 for now.  I know I wouldn't want to.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 2, 2006, 11:28 PM »
Spending your third rounder on a TE, losing your fourth rounder for the year before the season starts, and drafting a kicker in the fifth round definitely means something.

As for facing you, remind me real quick of how many times your ff team has beaten mine head-to-head?

« Last Edit: September 2, 2006, 11:29 PM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 2, 2006, 11:41 PM »
Spending your third rounder on a TE, losing your fourth rounder for the year before the season starts, and drafting a kicker in the fifth round definitely means something.

It didn't last year.

As for facing you, remind me real quick of how many times your ff team has beaten mine head-to-head?

That's all fine and good, but look at this team here and now, and tell me you're optimistic about your chances.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 3, 2006, 12:48 AM »
Hey but with this Domanick Davis development, the daring stunt during the draft by the Texans, bypassing Reggie Bush to take Mario Williams, is looking pretty ugly at the moment. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 3, 2006, 01:31 AM »
That's all fine and good, but look at this team here and now, and tell me you're optimistic about your chances.

Absolutely.  While I definitely think you had one of the top 3 or 4 drafts out of the 12, I think mine was better.    I like your team a lot, but I think I have the edge at every position save RB - because Jamal Lewis is a big question mark for me.

If you go back and look at the draft, a lot of the guys you have, are guys I directly passed on.  Sure I might end up being wrong, but I can certainly look at your team and the matchup and be very optimistic about my chances - because I left McNabb on the board when I took Hasselbeck.  I left Owens on the board when I took Fitzgerald, and again when I took Harrison.  I left Tomlinson on the board when I took Larry Johnson, I left Ben Watson on the board when I took Todd Heap..   Same thing with Ahman Green (the one that I think I'll end up regretting) and Baltimore's defense. 

For the most part I have the team I was hoping to get entering the draft, I valued my guys above the guys that you ended up with.  Of course I have no idea how it will turn out because it's possible to lose to a better team or to have your players going up against better defenses on a given week or to have injuries kill you (you certainly can appreciate that given your Baseball fiasco) or to have guys disappoint like Lewis and Moss did for me last year (my #1 and #2 picks) but at the moment I'm thrilled and I really really like my chances at this point in the season to have a very good team.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2006, 02:00 AM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 3, 2006, 01:41 AM »
Know who Wali Lundy is now? ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 3, 2006, 01:58 AM »
You betcha.  Maybe he'll be this year's Lamont Jordan.

Either way, the Texans definitely look even more stupid passing on Reggie Bush now.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 3, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Know who Wali Lundy is now? ;)

NFL fans may never know.  We'll see.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 3, 2006, 02:37 AM »

Absolutely.  While I definitely think you had one of the top 3 or 4 drafts out of the 12, I think mine was better.    I like your team a lot, but I think I have the edge at every position save RB - because Jamal Lewis is a big question mark for me.

If you go back and look at the draft, a lot of the guys you have, are guys I directly passed on.  Sure I might end up being wrong, but I can certainly look at your team and the matchup and be very optimistic about my chances - because I left McNabb on the board when I took Hasselbeck.  I left Owens on the board when I took Fitzgerald, and again when I took Harrison.  I left Tomlinson on the board when I took Larry Johnson, I left Ben Watson on the board when I took Todd Heap..   Same thing with Ahman Green (the one that I think I'll end up regretting) and Baltimore's defense.

Okay.....

QB:  McNabb vs. Hasselbeck, you cannot say your's is "an edge".  McNabb with Stallworth and Westbrook could easily regain his super bowl form from the year before last that made him a first round pick last season.  You can flip a coin here between him and Hasselbeck.

WR:  Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison and his 34 year old wheels is not "an edge" over Terrell Owens and Torry Holt.  You did not pass on Torry Holt to get Larry Fitzgerald, quite the opposite.  I took Holt, and then you took your 2 WR's.  Not the other way around.

RB:  Tomlinson and Dillon/Green is better than LJ who lost Roaf and can only run to one side now and Jamal Lewis and his broken hip.  Lewis is worthless without Mike Anderson on your roster, if I remember correctly he did very well for Ryan's team last year.  If I had the first overall pick of this draft, and not the fourth, I'd still have taken LaDainian Tomlinson.

TE: Wash.  Heap vs. Watson, we'll see.

K and DEF:  whatever. 

For the most part I have the team I was hoping to get entering the draft, I valued my guys above the guys that you ended up with.  Of course I have no idea how it will turn out because it's possible to lose to a better team or to have your players going up against better defenses on a given week or to have injuries kill you (you certainly can appreciate that given your Baseball fiasco) or to have guys disappoint like Lewis and Moss did for me last year (my #1 and #2 picks) but at the moment I'm thrilled and I really really like my chances at this point in the season to have a very good team.

Agreed.  Injuries are injuries, unpredictable and every team has an equal chance.  That incident in baseball this year was unprecedented for me in over a decade of fantasy baseball play, i've never even heard of a team being decimated like mine by injuries.  A pitching staff of Harden, Sheets, Peavy, Burnett, Prior etc. is a slam dunk win in almost every other season for the last several years, with the 2nd place team not even having a prayer by the all star break.

But yeah, injuries and stars who disappoint is not even a factor here, could happen to any team.  I don't think my guys or your guys are more likely to get hurt than the other's.  Except Jamal Lewis, I don't even know what you're thinking with that one.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2006, 11:12 AM by Dressel Rebel »