Author Topic: What brand and model of camera does everyone use?  (Read 11708 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
What brand and model of camera does everyone use?
« on: October 31, 2005, 12:16 PM »
Mods, I'm posting this here because people in this forum use these often.

Any suggestions on a good digital camera?  If you have one you love, let me know.  If you can, post a pic taken with the camera too. Thanks.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Digital Camera?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:38 PM »
I have 2 "consumer" grade and 1 'professional" grade digital cameras

Consumers:
Konica Minolta Dimage F100 4.0 mpx (3 yrs old)

Konica Minolta Dimage G600 6.1 mpx (1 yr old)

Pro Grade:
Nikon D100 6.1 (4 yrs) old with several lenses

A big tip to shooting digital photos is use a tripod. Digital photos tend to magnify your movements quite a bit and lead to blurry or fuzzy images.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:47 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 03:44 PM »
yes they do.Whrere the heck do you get a tri pod tho.Circut city?
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 03:46 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 09:10 PM »
Neat think they will have them in the Saugus MA store?(if theres a store finder/prouct availble thing i guess im just lazy then.)
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2005, 03:17 AM »
You may have better luck with this thread in Watto's general discussion board Steve, but only because there's some "Pro's" that don't peruse the customs area.  Our own Jared is a bit of a camera expert for instance, and guys like Brad (Angry Ewok) and Rob know a lot as well...  Also Jeff and others on staff know quite a bit but I'll let this stay here if it's where you want.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2005, 04:37 PM »
I use a Sony Cyber-shot 3.2 mega pixel digital camera.  Not really high quality, but as long as I don't try and do extreme close ups or far away shots, it works ok.  Never used a tripod but I'm sure it would be a good idea.

:P

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 02:27 PM »
same here........ hwat are your settings on it.(I posted at ffurg that my grand father works for Marriot so he drives people to the hotel and someone left a camera on it but the memory stick won't go in.(i mean it goes in but the camera dosent dectect it.)it's a Canon power shot S410 digital Elph
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
What brand and model of camera does everyone use?
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Title pretty much says it all. I talked to a guy at Best Buy about looking inot getting a new camera. I told him what I did and he said I would probably need an optical zoom. Everyone else's pics are crystal clear, especially CHEWIE's and hemble's, as well as many others. If you guys could just let me know what camera you have it would be greatly appreciated.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: What brand and model of camera does everyone use?
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2006, 02:16 PM »
I now use a Sony Cyber Shot 4.1 megapixel.  It's not the best, but good enough for what I try and do.

:)

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Great topic!

I use a Canon Rebel XT.  A little on the expensive side, but I got so fed up with every other camera I tried, seemed like everything always turned out looking like rubbish.

Prior to my Canon, I had stuck with Olympus for a while, but after medicore results decided to try Sony.  All their camera's I tried out produced great results.  If I ever get an additional camera, it'd be either Canon or Sony.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Actually, the brand and price of the camera don't really matter. And if you want the camera mostly for taking pictures of your custom figures, then the amount of megapixels doesn't really matter either, because you don't want to try and upload several 4 MB pictures of your figure - it will take too long to upload, and too long to download.

What you should look for are the type of lens, the amount of optical zoom (completely ignore any kind of digital zoom - you should actually turn this off if you're camera has any), and make sure it has a macro mode. This will allow you to get as close physically with your camera as you can, and actually you won't even need to use much of a zoom if you have a macro mode.

Another key factor in getting get pictures is where you are taking your photos. Make sure it's a well lit area, and that the subject of your shots is in a good light. Sometimes extra lamps can he helpful, but try to get as much "natural" light as possible. If you take a look at our image archives here at the site, you can see that Jared gets some great photos of his figures, using a dedicated setup that is relatively simple to make.

I can expand on these points and/or explain how to make a setup like this later on tonight if anyone wants, I'm at work right now and really can't do it. But let me know if anyone wants any more info.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2006, 02:52 PM »
I'm currently using a Canon Powershot SD500.  It is the best point and shoot digital camera I've had (and I'm onto my third one).  The key for taking pictures of customs is good lighting and "Macro" mode setting.  On the camera, it looks like the Flower Icon.

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2006, 03:50 PM »
jokabofe-

I'd really like to hear more about a good 'lighting set-up' when you have the time, etc.  I'm still having to tweak the photos I take in photshop afterwards (colors always seem to be a bit off or its too bright, etc etc) and while I think i have a decent set-up as far as lighting goes. . .maybe I actually don't, lol.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2006, 04:07 PM »

I can expand on these points and/or explain how to make a setup like this later on tonight if anyone wants, I'm at work right now and really can't do it. But let me know if anyone wants any more info.

I'm all for hearing more about this too!