Author Topic: Casting Pigments  (Read 3086 times)

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Casting Pigments
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:45 PM »
OK, I've gotten all my supplies for molding and casting except the casting pigments to change the resin to a different color.  Its pretty expensive after looking through the different sites!  The cheapest I found was castin craft pigment at micromark for $33, plus like $9 for shipping.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83094

So, is there any other way to change the color of your cast besides using these things?  I know it may be a long shot, but what about food coloring?
Also, glassman I believe stated earlier that he found some kind of pigment that worked at Lowes.  Can you tell me more about this like what it was called?  Thanks!  :)
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Re: Casting Pigments
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 05:11 PM »
What about RIT dye you can buy from walmart? 

While researching this, I found a site that sells the molding and casting material I use for cheaper (smoothon).  Its at misterart.com
http://www.misterart.com/store/browse/001/cat_id/5841/Art-Supplies-Sculpting-Mold-Making--Casting-Materials--Smooth-On.htm

Its about 5 bucks cheaper there if anyone is thinking of getting this.
www.coreplanets.com

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 05:29 PM »
actually, I think I may have solved my problem with the RIT dyes.  I went to their site and they say in the faq section that their dyes DO dye plastics and vinyls.  Here:
Instructions:

Make a concentrated dye solution in a stainless steel or glass container. Dissolve 1 package Rit powder dye in 1 pint (2 cups) hot water (or use 1/2 cup Rit liquid dye) and then mix with 1 quart hot water (140º F). Stir well. Be sure to use enough water so item will be covered and can be moved around without crowding.

Gently stir item continuously while it is in the dye solution, using metal spoon or wooden stick to lift and turn it in the dyebath, until desired color is developed. Use low heat (do not simmer) to warm the dye solution; higher temperatures may damage or melt the item.

When item reaches the desired color, rinse well in warm running water until water appears clear. Let dry on paper towels. (If color is not dark enough, simply add more dye to the solution, thoroughly dissolving powder dye first, and continue tinting the item in the hot dye solution for a longer period of time.)
www.coreplanets.com

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 05:33 PM »
Its pretty expensive after looking through the different sites!  The cheapest I found was castin craft pigment at micromark for $33, plus like $9 for shipping.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83094

Wow... that's expensive -- I think I paid $2-3 per bottle at Pearl.  Bad thing is you can only get it at the stores.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 05:34 PM »
Noooooo, dont do it these are for dying plastics that have already been cured or molded. Any water based dyes or pigments will cause your resin to foam and give you a bad cast.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Rolla, You dont have to buy them all.  If you are used to mixing paints, you can mix them like paint,  therefore you only need the primary colors plus black and white.

Plus, you would probably use these for years.  I use white the most and its only half way done. Had them since last summer, almost a year. 

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Yeah, I kinda figured I'd have them for a while.  I'm thinkin of gettin them, but when I went to the wm last night for grocieries, I meandered into the aisle with the dyes.  They have the powder and now a liquid form also.  I wasnt actually thinking of putting the dyes into the liquid cast, I was really thinking of dying the cast AFTER it has hardened.  I got on some car modeling sites and a lot of people actually do this instead of painting their plastic parts. 
I figured what the heck.  Its only a couple bucks.  Might as well try it.  I'll let you all know how it goes.
www.coreplanets.com