Author Topic: Former President of Kenner Bernard Loomis, Dies at 82  (Read 2980 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
I just saw this posted at RS.   :'(

Bernard Loomis, 82; Turned Ads for Toys Into TV Cartoons

Loomis had already moved on to General Mills, where he was president of Kenner Toys. He turned down the chance to license Steven Spielberg's new movie, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," considering it not "toyetic," meaning that its characters would not make good toys.

But he spotted a small notice for a movie called "Star Wars" in a Hollywood trade magazine that sounded more likely: Its characters wore distinctive costumes.

In keeping with standard practice, the "Star Wars" toys were not supposed to appear until about a year after the movie opened. But the immediate success of the film prompted Loomis to reconsider.

Unable to speed up production, and with the all-important Christmas season nearing, Loomis ordered paper certificates sold in colorful boxes for the price of the toy. Kenner promised to deliver the toys by mail eight months later, and then a second wave of demand crested, as youngsters competed to get what their friends had.

Take some time to read the interview of Bernard Loomis from RS & know the history of the man who brought you the Star Wars toys.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Former President of Kenner Bernard Loomis, Dies at 82
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2006, 08:50 PM »
What an interesting man to read about.  So he brought us Star Wars toys and Saturday morning cartoons.  A genius no doubt.  ;)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2006, 05:03 PM »
If it weren't for this man, my life would've been completely different!

I'm not saying that to be cheeky....watching cartoons and playing with all those action figures made me dream of being an astronaut and is the main reason I'm in the Air Force today.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Star Wars.com has an interesting feature up on Bernard Loomis and his involvement with Kenner and the Star Wars vintage line.  Its a fun read, at least for me, and really makes you nostalgic for the times of "less then $2 action figures" and "affordable vehicles and beasts".  This as I contemplate the upcoming $90 AT-AT Walker at TRU :P.  It is amazing how his ideas (and his team) really revolutionized the toy industry.  Its true, we do sort of take the 3 3/4" scale for granted at times, but it really opened a lot of doors for kids and collectors as far as toys go.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Hasbro should make a tribute figure of him.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 05:24 PM »
We thank George Lucas a lot for bringing Star Wars into our lives, but we should also thank Bernard Loomis for all of his contributions. Imagine how much different our lives would be without the work he did to create the Kenner Vintage line from 77 through 85.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot