Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 305722 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Hasbro Weekly Q and A
« Reply #390 on: January 3, 2007, 04:50 PM »
You keep saying you understand, but it still seems like you don't "get it"...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 3, 2007, 05:18 PM »

Nicklab, you make good points and I understand exactly what you're saying.  But I look at the tooling that was required for a Gunship or the ARC-170, and see perhaps even less tooling to go into a simple modular playset.  All you really need is a floor (which is essentially just a sheet of plastic), a few walls that snap on the sides, and a ceiling.  It could be just a few pieces of plastic that interlock.  Throw in a couple accessories and an exclusive figure or any army builder and package it nicely, and I don't think TRU or Target would turn their nose up to the idea of carrying it.  I just don't think it would be that expensive.  Just my opinion.   :)

;)

Remember the EPISODE I playsets?  Specifically the Theed Hangar and the Theed Generator playsets?  Those playsets were almost exactly what you're describing.  And those weren't exactly flying off of shelves, and I also can't seem to recall much critical collector acclaim about those sets.

For what a number of collectors seems to be clamoring for, it only seems that what Attakus is doing will fit the bill.  And those pieces cost thousands of dollars.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #392 on: January 3, 2007, 05:27 PM »
it at at least has to be getting the point across though that there's interest out there for them.

Or it's simply something they roll their eyes at week-in-and-week-out because they know they've answered WHY they don't do what they do.  To them, they think the playsets they've done were pretty sharp with play features, detail and the like.  We may not agree on that, but that's how they feel...  And telling them "but that sucked" seems to only inspire a reply like, "Well we think we did a good job".

But anyway, nobody's here to dispute the right to ask a question to Hasbro if someone has the means to do so...  Again that's not the point of this thread, and this particular question that is the focus of the thread right now.  Everyone here is just sharing their really different opinion of what the question-asker asked, and how they basically wasted a slot in a Q&A one week by asking something there are clear answers on already.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 3, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Nicklab, I think the EPI one playsets were actually pretty bad but I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro uses that as an example of playsets not selling, you are right they didn't sell...  The hangar area somewhat looked like something from the film but was terribly constructed and had a huge handle on it. It was ridiculous looking.  I'm not sure that anything from EPI can really be fairly used as an example, the whole line seemed to do poorly from a combination of higher prices and a weak film as compared to the other movies.  Basically everything from EPI when it is released is a slow seller even now.  And those playsets from Naboo aren't really fan favorite areas as compared to a Death Star or something Imperial. 

The Attakus set is awesome though,  I wonder how hard it would be for Hasbro to just make a section of something like that (like where the wall section is).   

Anyways, whatever guys.  I hope none of you have hard feelings towards me now.  We just disagree on this. 

;)
« Last Edit: January 3, 2007, 08:19 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 3, 2007, 10:39 PM »
Chewie, I'm sorry to say that after all of this I have actually come to hate both you and Yakface.

And I hate playsets now, too. 

I'm going to limit my collecting to Micro Machines and 7" Unleashed.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 3, 2007, 11:00 PM »
The impression I got when reading the question was not a redundant playset query, but rather as a way to get more explanation from something that doesn't seem completely accurate.  I'd agree that SW choppers and SW Transformers gathering dust in Hasbro warehouses or on retail shelves seems worse than the tried and true playset formula that's been around since the beginning.  I think 4 playsets per store instead of dozens of those other gamble toy lines makes more sense, but I guess I need to understand the specific monies involved.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #396 on: January 4, 2007, 01:43 AM »
Hasbro's said (of the Choppers and stuff, which I too hate so don't get me wrong here I'm not defending the product, it blows) that the choppers and things are a means of keeping kids attention...  They're the pretty twinkling lights to keep their eyes focused on THIS toy line instead of drifting off as they so easily do to video games or whatnot.  That really is the motive though and those toys may be a risk unto themselves but they're a risk to keep a market's interest in your brand by any means. 

A wholely separate argument then is whether or not that is a good business sense move on Hasbro's part.  I don't personally get it, but hey sometimes you hit a home run like Galactic Heroes that shocks you, or Darth Tater and such.

And Hasbro's answered the playset formula too...  It seems obvious to us, maybe because we grew up in the eighties with the original line or GI Joe, or MASK, or the other playset-large ticket-centric lines, but to Hasbro they claim the market isn't there for playsets anymore, and that it takes more than collectors to keep playsets "out there" without eating it on them...  Hasbro says kids are/were the target on playsets, and that kids just don't have the attention spans to get into those bigger items in the line anymore because their interest wavers too fast. 

Add to that the issues with shelf space in today's retail market that were NOT as big an issue in 198(_), and there's a whole other consideration really...  It spells a bad formula for playsets these days.  I mean, I look at Zizzles ship and building sets thinking how awesome they are and how if I were a kid I'd be dying for that line and the playsets and stuff...  But they also sell like poo, at least around me.

Taking it a step further...  I LOVE the 21st Cent. Toys XD line, something that has had pretty big feet under it since its inception...  It's really a great line, very collector-oriented, the line changes with the collector's wishes (for the most part)...  Back a few years ago they tried playsets, and when I say "playsets" I mean they tried what any collector would give his left nut for in this hobby for a Star Wars "playset", not something half-assed thing with play features, midget scale, and lacking detail...  They did a destroyed 3-level French Farmhouse that makes the Hasbro figure sculpts weep due to the detail this thing had.  There's a cheaper "European Fountain" set that's simply gorgeous, a destroyed governement building section with wall section, and an outstanding Barn to go with the farmhouse set...  These things featured openening doors, multiple levels, and pack-in figures to boot...  All for fair prices too, nothing over $40 mind you, and the bigger sets are BIG.  They're great display stuff. 

There was a second line planned that never saw daylight because the first line tanked...  Why?  I guess cost, maybe size...  This in a toy line that really aims at collectors even though they want the kid market too.  They love collectors in that line though, no doubt, but playsets just tanked at retail... 

My point here is that these sets were everything collectors wanted, they were fairly complex (comprised of more parts than just 2 walls slapped together, even the fountain was made up of a number of parts), and collectors really wanted them too, but they didn't do well at retail...  I think Hasbro faces that same issue with their playsets, and they know it more than we think we know the contrary I'm afraid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #397 on: January 4, 2007, 10:43 AM »
If you haven't already (and if you can stomach it), I'd strongly recommend checking out TF.N's podcast from 12-22.  Almost the whole show is an interview they did with Hasbro's Derryl DePriest.

Direct MP3 file (also available at iTunes)

The interview starts around four minutes in, and lasts a good forty-five minutes.  He gives quite a bit of insight into Hasbro's approach to the line, and hints at a couple of upcoming things, too.

Of particular interest (and the reason I bring this up here) is that about thirty-four minutes in, the discussion turns to vehicles and playsets, which goes on for another seven minutes.

Anyway, it's worth checking out, unless you're one of the blessed who knows more about the toy business than Hasbro does.

;)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 4, 2007, 11:53 AM »
A tough read to be sure

Chewie- what angle are you going to try next for argument?

apples and oranges (doesn't follow fallacy)--  failed

hypothetical situation (purely fantasy what if)--  failed

so what's next ..assumed authority? What, you going to get a celebrity to come in here and argue with us or against Hasbro ..to lobby for a playset?

Though 'interesting' it's obviously a 20:1(or higher ratio ::)) thread against you here. I suppose you could smack your head against the wall enough times to see if that turns up a playset from Hasbro and..miraculously, if it happened, you could be a sudden genius as Matt mentioned.

One thing is clear though--

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FINALLY GET YOUR ******* PLAYSET FROM HASBRO     ....anytime soon

So, smack your head against the machine a few more times, it's entertaining in the least.

You've been very patient with him so far in your more than adequate replies, Jesse. I'm not so patient though...while I would like a new playset as others would... I know the reality.

Let's move on then?

Slothus

Offline megaman

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 4, 2007, 01:35 PM »
Nicklab, I think the EPI one playsets were actually pretty bad but I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro uses that as an example of playsets not selling, you are right they didn't sell...  The hangar area somewhat looked like something from the film but was terribly constructed and had a huge handle on it. It was ridiculous looking.  I'm not sure that anything from EPI can really be fairly used as an example, the whole line seemed to do poorly from a combination of higher prices and a weak film as compared to the other movies.  Basically everything from EPI when it is released is a slow seller even now.  And those playsets from Naboo aren't really fan favorite areas as compared to a Death Star or something Imperial. 

The Attakus set is awesome though,  I wonder how hard it would be for Hasbro to just make a section of something like that (like where the wall section is).   

Anyways, whatever guys.  I hope none of you have hard feelings towards me now.  We just disagree on this. 

;)

go away.  nobody likes you here.  everyone is sick of hearing your retard opinins, and your photo-novels and all your customs are overrated!!! 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 4, 2007, 02:42 PM »
Personally, I'd rather read Chewie's opinions as compared to poorly written posts that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

With that said, I'd like to throw my two cents in on the QNA matter. 

Hasbro has stockholders to appease unlike some of the other toy companies that can afford to invest in large playsets (Zizzle for example).  Every dollar Hasbro spends in capital (tooling new toys) will be scrutinized and thefore, must be justified before it can be spent.

They must ask themselves, how can we maximize our investment dollars?  What will give us the most bang for our buck? 

Why do you think we see so many reissues of figures and ships?

Those tins that are so eloquently packaged with rehased figures on all of the retailers' shelves cost absolutely nothing in regards to capital.  The tins were most likely purchased from a third party vendor and you know the story with the figures. 

You have to admit, it's a smart strategy.  Maxmizing your return with minimal investment (and risk) is a very simple, yet effective way to run your business and make your shareholders happy.

There's ALWAYS a reason why companies do what they do.  There's a reason why the mid scale assault vehicles are $19.99.  Hasbro has been in the business long enough to know what their consumers want.  Yes, there is demand for SW playsets, but the demand does not warrant the investment. 

They know this - I guarantee it. 

With a privately held company, there's only a handful of people to please - and more often than not, smaller overhead expenses (A LOT smaller).

In a nutshell, believe it or not, they can get away with taking bigger risks. 

« Last Edit: January 4, 2007, 03:07 PM by ruiner »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #401 on: January 4, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Seriously.

Anyways, are we having a Q&A this week?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 4, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Same here!  What's with the actual hostility to Chewie?  Both his and Jesse's discussion is good stuff (and a few other people too), but a few people insulting him and claiming "nobody" likes him?  I think he's great and his customizing skills are enviable!  Geez, this is a discussion about toy-producing questions and answers.  While we (the collector sites) may have SOME influence over Hasbro decisions, face facts that they make decisions and then let out a little info as they see fit.  We're not going to run the department as much as we'd like.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #403 on: January 4, 2007, 02:56 PM »
are we having a Q&A this week?

Nope.  No new answers until next week...

And, a note:  Due to the upcoming Holidays, Hasbro will be taking a Q&A break. Look for the Weekly Q&A to resume on January 12th!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #404 on: January 4, 2007, 05:54 PM »
About all this playset hubbub...maybe we should ask Hasbro if they would ever consider sharing some playset designs that they have created, but will never be made.  Just like Lucasfilm shows preproduction art from the films, Hasbro could show us some "what If" stuff.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com