Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 305793 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #555 on: July 7, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Outside of employee theft, I don't see how they could lose a mold.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 7, 2007, 01:10 PM »
I've never understood that.  I would think that with a figure that's in existance, they could make a new mold if the old one was lost?

:P

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #557 on: July 7, 2007, 01:46 PM »
My guess would be that Hasbro destroys the original mold that they use to create the die-cast metal molds to provide to the Chinese factories for production. So they don't have the original mold any longer and so they have to rely on the factory to retain the metal mold. The problem there is that the factory probably has thousands of those types of molds from various customers and if they're not paying close attention one can easily get misplaced (thrown out or placed in a wrong pile) by a poorly paid employee.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #558 on: July 8, 2007, 03:02 AM »
I think there's lots of good opinions that all could be why they "lose" a mold for sure.

Theft, poor archiving, destruction, etc., are all very plausible.  I know from some experiences with injection molds overseas that factories do indeed have TONS of molds, sometimes anything from plastic utensils to model kits, in their factories, and they're easily misplaced. 

Consider this...  I live near an operating specialty steel mill...  People walked out for years with TONS of stuff from the mills when I was growing up, and even with security tightened substantially, things still turn up missing...  Mills like that and toy production factories in China aren't too dissimilar I'd wager. 

I'm just playing devil's advocate...  It sounds like Hasbro's trying to pick up the slack on those one way or the other, so I'm not too angry with them...  yet.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 8, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Oh I understand they could lose something or have it stolen whatever.  However, could they not reproduce something that comes darn close to the mold they lost?  Or is a mold like that super expensive?  I don't know?  I am not up on how a figure is made to be quite honest.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 8, 2007, 12:18 PM »
Hasbro 'dreads re-releasing Ephant Mon.'  >:(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 10, 2007, 09:30 AM »
I've never understood that.  I would think that with a figure that's in existance, they could make a new mold if the old one was lost?

I'm fairly certain that Hasbro uses a "2" or "4 up" process which means that the master mold is larger (at least twice the size) to maximize detail. From there it's reduced to a production mold. Therefore, if both molds are lost (they should be archived together) a mold struck from a production piece would not be as precise as the original.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 10, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Hasbro 'dreads re-releasing Ephant Mon.'  >:(

You can get him on eBay for around $10-12 shipped.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Hasbro Weekly Q and A
« Reply #563 on: July 20, 2007, 06:21 PM »
The latest Hasbro QnA has been posted.

- Can we get a Galactic Heroes Bantha or Rancor?
- Who made up that EE Mystery Pack anyway?
- AT-RT Driver Sculpt?  (obivously, we asked the question before we got the pic yesterday  :P)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 20, 2007, 09:02 PM »
I have clicked on it a few times and it appears to be an error :(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 20, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Tis the same error from the link on the front page as well.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #566 on: July 20, 2007, 10:13 PM »
We are apparently having some front page issues (we had some the other day too unfortunately). 

Hopefully it will be fixed soon, we have top men working on it.  ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 20, 2007, 10:19 PM »
Dang, Jayson forgets to send Yak's questions and now THIS?  What is the world coming to?   :-*

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #568 on: July 20, 2007, 10:41 PM »
Hopefully it will be fixed soon, we have top men working on it.  ;)

Everything seems to be working again.  Here are the questions & answers just in case though. ;)

1. In your Marvel Heroes line, you guys are doing a few large scaled Marvel characters (Sentinel, Galactus). Is there any chance of carrying the idea over to Star Wars for a Rancor or a Bantha pack in the Galactic Heroes line? Our Galactic Hero Wampa and Taun-Taun need some more friends!

**That's a good idea, and we are looking at how we can keep adding to the creature/vehicle play pattern. While those ideas are not the first ones in the queue, we are hopeful they will get into the mix at some point.

2. The Entertainment Earth "Mystery Pack" has many fans talking. It seems like there is a back story developing with the figures announced thus far. Just who is behind the back story to the "Mystery Pack" figures? Is it Lucasfilm's doing completely (perhaps based on some upcoming or existing EU continuity) or are the creative minds at Hasbro writing up all the background on the figures in the "Mystery Pack"?

**It's a bit of both. Some of the characters are existing (or will exist) from publishing, and some of the characters were proposed by our team and added into the storyline as it came together. To go back in time to the specific point when the idea for the pack began, the starting point was a Star Wars Insider feature a couple years back by Karen Traviss. This story really intrigued us, and provided a jumping in point into a previously unexplored area that became the basis for the sets. More details will be revealed at Comic Con, so stay tuned.

3. Pictures of the upcoming AT-RT Patrol battle pack have surfaced, but it's hard to tell from the picture exactly what we're getting. More specifically, the sculpts on the AT-RT Drivers included in the pack - are they the original AT-RT Driver pack-in figure sculpt or are they based on the basic carded AT-RT Driver sculpt (RotS #54)?

**Details will be revealed next week at Comic Con, but the figure used in this pack is based on the carded figure, and not the reduced-articulation pack-in driver.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #569 on: July 20, 2007, 10:55 PM »
Dang, Jayson forgets to send Yak's questions and now THIS?  What is the world coming to?   :-*

:-*
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird