Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 307386 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #615 on: September 30, 2007, 12:58 AM »
Yeah i agree about the same questions being asked. Sucks becuase it gets us less answers.
I noticed that too, but really, it seems as though there isn't much left to ask.  I mean, every time I read the round up reports, most questions are about whether Hasbro will do something requested, and they always say thanks for the suggestion and it's on the short list of things to do, or maybe in 2009.  Fact is, they do what they want, and are rarely influenced by collector questions or requests.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #616 on: September 30, 2007, 01:46 AM »
I agree and disagree...

I think there's a certain trick to getting the information you want.  Look at our question on the Preview Wookiee for instance.  It wasn't going out on a limb really by many people's standards in questioning Hasbro, but at the same time it got some "teaser" info to us about 2008 too...  Wookiee's are coming in some form, and it's the preview sculpt (unaltered unfortunately).

I think they mix up the answers some when they want to and when it's a question not everyone's looking for answers to (or thought of to ask).  Otherwise you get the Cookie Cutter answers like "it's on the short list", and "soon but not now".

I hate the redundancy too...  JD was the first site to ask about a resculpted Speederbike, and at the time Hasbro replied that it was a good idea and they liked the concept of a "stand" to simulate it floating.  Since then I know I've seen the same friggin' question from other sites asked, right down to the stand (which I don't know if it's just copying ideas for the sake of sounding like you asked it "first" or if it's just genuine coincidence).  That's a waste.

The Rebel Trooper question that was in this week was a waste too...  Been there, asked that, got the same answer basically. 

Redundancy is avoidable by all sites on their own really, but I think not every site is really focused on avoiding it, and sometimes even if you are things slip through (IE: ****/mistakes happen).  Usually as new news/rumors come up though, new, good questions do as well.  That's a positive for sure...  The Hoth pack thing was an inevitable cluster of questions from sites though, so some sites saw fit to avoid it.  :-*
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 01:48 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #617 on: September 30, 2007, 05:15 AM »
Good news on the Wookiee figure(s), IMO.  I really believe that's a great figure that was overlooked for re-release in 2007...

The Sneak Preview Wookiee Warrior was possibly the biggest pegwarmer of the year after it hit shelves.  In fact, I'm pretty sure there's still a few of them hanging at some of our local stores to this day.  The re-release they did of it in one of those VHTF final ROTS waves even hung for quite some time around here.  Frightening to think Hasbro is contemplating re-releasing that thing, especially without a resculpt.  More pegwarming glut, no doubt.  I'm sure I could still dig a few up at some of our KBs and WMs if anyone is that desperate for some more.  Just LMK...

As for the questions in general, yeah, after 39 sessions there's bound to be very little that hasn't been posed to Hasbro already (like Greg just mentioned).  With that in mind, it makes perfect sense that many sites would submit a question regarding the hot topic of the week in the Hoth BP.  I certainly don't fault them for that, nor do I take issue with them not knowing that other sites received the same question (possibly from the same person).  I hope we're not suggesting that asking a question on the hottest new topic from the previous couple weeks is stupid, or potentially repetitive.  I'm sure there's going to be a few questions about the final outcome in the Legends voting this upcoming session, which I'm looking forward to reading.  I hope we wouldn't nix any potential questions on the matter here at JD simply because it's "too popular" a topic, and will likely be covered by the other sites...

I would also imagine that after 39 sessions with 15 or so different sites, not every site is going to have such a keen recollection as JD does (thanks MB) as to what's already been asked before (especially some of the newer sites), so duplicate questions are bound to occur from time to time.  I don't mind a repetitive question here and there if it further drives a valid point at Hasbro (like SA Rebel Troopers, Bespin Cloud Cars, playsets, floating Speederbikes, etc.)

I think some of the expectations around here are a tad too high regarding these Q & A sessions at this point.  We should just be thankful that Hasbro's even still doing them, and that they're allowing every last SW collecting site to participate, even if it affords us only a minor tease or two every couple weeks.  I guess at this late juncture, I look at the Q & A's as more of a vehicle to offer our thoughts, suggestions and feedback to Hasbro, as opposed to something that's supposed to give us some definitive answers on what's upcoming from them.  Seems most people view it as the latter, which is pretty fruitless most weeks.  I think the more constructive use of the Q & A would be the former, but I guess I'm in the minority with that view.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:16 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 30, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Yeah, I should rephrase in that I think collector sites DO have some manner of influence on future product with enough repetitive type questions or general comments.  If enough sites mention the desire for a new cloud car or rebel soldiers, Hasbro is bound to consider those things more than if they never read such requests/questions.  But I think the production team basically picks a line-up of figures for future assortments that they think will sell, and whenever we ask about the likelihood of a character being made, we get the standard answer: something along the lines of short list, get to it eventually, or not in 2008.  Gee, thanks Hasbro- I realize we'll get it eventually  ;D

I like what J-Mac said about the Q and A, though- we really are fortunate to have a regular interaction with a toy manufacturer.  I'm not of the type that thinks Hasbro is above its consumer or anything, but this is so different from the old days when the consumer was never involved at all except with their dollars in the store.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Just wanted to point out something regarding Hasbro's mantra of "No Comment" on the Hoth set in any way, shape, or form:  They utilized the exact same tactics and wording last year in relation to the Imperial Shuttle, sometimes seemingly to the point of denying its existence until it actually hit.  Given their tactics last year, I'd be willing to bet that the Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack is the *exact* same situation as the Shuttle in terms of the when, where, and most specifically, the fact that Hasbro isn't going to answer any more questions about it. 

So, um, yeah, some other sites that will remain nameless: DON'T ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE HOTH SET, okay?  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #620 on: October 1, 2007, 01:37 AM »
The re-release they did of it in one of those VHTF final ROTS waves even hung for quite some time around here.

Must've been like the gluts of Y-Wings and Tatooine Skiffs that some wrote about, and how they "clearanced", while the rest of the country did without. ;)  I don't think everyone was nearly as lucky to have the glut of HTF figures like that.  I, at least, can speak for my neck of the woods on the Wookiee repaint...  Very uncommon and still fetches a decent price at shows (unfortunately).

The preview sculpt was a good figure that sold decently well with a Legends/Battles re-release, even with a very heavy distribution of the Preview figure initially...  To me, that's a figure that's begging to get re-released since he made his run through already, especially if it's new paintjobs.  The headsculpt changes (or lack thereof in this case) are a disappointment though, still.  Clones and Stormtroopers are backing up at retail some, but I bet they're still logging some great sales numbers, and I think the Wookiee probably had something similar going for it as well.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 03:00 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 1, 2007, 09:40 AM »
I agree that the Preview Wookiee was one of the unsung figures of the ROTS line, and it would be nice to see some wookiees out there again.  I know the ROTS Chewie and Tarfful seemed kind of lame by comparison to that preview figure (as well as the "regular" line wookiee).  Maybe we'll see some sort of Kashyyyk battle pack full o' wookiees.  We'll see.

I wasn't surprised by all of the questions about the Hoth BP this week either, but it did seem really redundant overall for this session.  Like others have said, there isn't a lot to ask sometimes and its nice to still have this to look forward to every couple weeks and give us little glimpses here and there towards the future.  I think others are on the mark with that Hoth BP being "this year's Shuttle".  We know its coming to Target (according to that pic), and its being consistently "no comment"-ed by Hasbro (much like the Shuttle last year).  Heck, I think some people even found them early last year and Hasbro still pretended to know nothing about them.  Anyways, I hope they are easy enough to get a hold of, I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 1, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I agree that the Preview Wookiee was one of the unsung figures of the ROTS line, and it would be nice to see some wookiees out there again.  I know the ROTS Chewie and Tarfful seemed kind of lame by comparison to that preview figure (as well as the "regular" line wookiee).  Maybe we'll see some sort of Kashyyyk battle pack full o' wookiees.  We'll see.

I'm thinking Battle Pack as well for any potential Wookiees.  Probably a Battle of Kashyyyk pack.  Ideally I'd like to get Merumeru, but even a new sculpt of Tarfful would be most welcome.  The ROTS Tarfful was not well executed.  And neither was the ROTS Chewbacca, for that matter.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 1, 2007, 09:56 AM »
Thanks again to Matt for compiling all of this info every week. 

This saves a lot of us time and searching.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #624 on: October 1, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Oh, stop it.  It's really no big deal.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #625 on: October 1, 2007, 06:59 PM »

You may think its no big deal but i know i really appreciate it. I would like to extend my thanks as well.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 1, 2007, 08:09 PM »

So you are the one that does it...Thanks man! 8)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #627 on: October 1, 2007, 10:50 PM »
Thanks, fellas.

Now, knock it the **** off.

:-*
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 1, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Actually Matt, it is really nice of you to compile all of those.   

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #629 on: October 2, 2007, 12:31 AM »
Actually Matt, it is really nice of you to compile all of those.   

Great.

Now, what part of "knock it the **** off" don't you understand?