Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 307831 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #735 on: March 20, 2008, 10:51 PM »
According to the RS Q&A, possibly new Slave Leia for 09.

Actually it was Yakface's QnA  ;D

Sorry  :-\
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #736 on: March 20, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Welcome news on nekked Leia.  Hoping for a nice looking figure with nice poseability.  I really think Yarna looks decent, but her pudgey joints maybe help her look better than thin Leia will with various points of articulation.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #737 on: March 20, 2008, 10:59 PM »
Welcome news on nekked Leia.  Hoping for a nice looking figure with nice poseability.  I really think Yarna looks decent, but her pudgey joints maybe help her look better than thin Leia will with various points of articulation.   :-\

As discussed at one of out recent MN JD meetings, Leia seems to be getting a ton of love in the coming year:

Hoth Leia
SOTE Leia
Sniper Leia
Slave Leia (2009)
Sandstorm Leia (2009)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 25, 2008, 04:26 PM »
I was just listening to the Star Wars Action News podcast, and at the 1:23:42 mark, they begin their Hasbro Q and A sessions.  There are some interesting things covered in there:

*Asking about the absence of Jar Jar, Hasbro said that they should have something to announce regarding Jar Jar around Comic Con

*Asking about VOTC in 2009, Hasbro mentions that they can't say when it is coming back, but when it does it likely won't be called VOTC, since it will encompass more than just the "OTC"

There are a few other questions, but I found these the most interesting.  I'm wondering/thinking that maybe we'll be getting a new Jar Jar in the rumored TPM wave for 2009.  An all-new, super articulated version would be nice.  It also sounds like the beloved VOTC line will now include the entire Saga.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #739 on: March 25, 2008, 04:30 PM »
It also sounds like the beloved VOTC line will now include the entire Saga.

If it does, I won't be keeping a carded collection of those. Prequel stuff on Vintage-style cards is total bullflop. They might as well start coloring OT Stormtroopers... oh wait.  ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #740 on: March 25, 2008, 08:23 PM »
I kept my packaging for my Vintage figures and don't know how I'll be with PTC figures...  Keeping the package, or tossing it, is at least an easy decision. 

I'm more hopeful we'll see OTC figures that weren't ever made, rather than PTC figures I didn't really want to see on vintage cardbacks.  Tarkin and the gang on Vintage cards did appeal to me though since they were planned but unreleased.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 25, 2008, 08:45 PM »
More VOTC, but with prequel characters?  Sounds pretty lame to me.  At one time, I thought the idea was fine, but that was in 2004 when the rest of the line pretty much paled in comparison to the VOTC quality.

Now we see great sculpts and articulation in most of the basic line, plus there's the evolutions.

Why pay $10-$12 for prequel figures (or OT characters) to have old school packaging?  Why is this line even overpriced for that matter?  They should be the same price as regular figures, but without the clam shells.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 26, 2008, 09:33 AM »
I'm not thrilled with the idea of seeing prequel characters in the "VOTC" line either.  I understand that the well of "main characters/army builders" might be running a little bit thin now with the OT, but I think that they could get another wave or two out of that series.  I realize that the higher price stinks, but I have to say that the VOTC/VTSC have been my favorite part of the line since they first started out.  Sure, they haven't all been perfect, but most have been pretty good - and the vintage packaging is just a spiffy bonus.

Like others, creating "vintage-like" packaging for prequel characters seems wrong.  If they wanted to recreate the cards the figures/characters originally came on, that might be more acceptable - but like its been said, the regular line quality has basically come up to VOTC now, so they could just as well do these in the regular line.  Also, sticking with the formula that they have used with the OT characters - many of the main characters from the prequels have been done pretty well (or will be coming shortly).  Aside from maybe a few tweaks here and there, we already have nearly "ultimate" versions of Maul (Evolutions), Dooku (ROTS/Evolutions), Jango (Evolutions), Qui-Gon (Evolutions), Anakins (Evolutions), Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS and possibly upcoming figures that are now confirmed), Padme (Evolutions), SBD/Destroyer Droids (TAC), Palpatine (Evolutions), Clonetroopers (various lines), and the list goes on.  Aside from a few changes (maybe adding in ball jointed elbow on some, paint differences on others), we're getting closer to getting an "ultimate" lineup from the prequels as well.  That being the case, we'd basically be getting repacks for $10 each.

Just keep cranking out remaining figures like TPM/AOTC Obi-Wan, Jar Jar, more Padmes, a good Battle Droid and others in the basic line - and leave the VOTC line for the OT characters.  There's still good versions of the main characters to be done for Han (Bespin), Luke (Hoth/Jedi), Leia (Hoth); army builders (Rebel Soldiers - all, TIE Pilot), or even miscellaneous characters (Gamorrean Guard, Zuckuss, Admiral Ackbar, etc.)  I think there is at least enough left to make another wave or two.  Finishing out the entire vintage run would be cool too, but seems unlikely.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 26, 2008, 10:53 AM »
*Asking about the absence of Jar Jar, Hasbro said that they should have something to announce regarding Jar Jar around Comic Con

*Asking about VOTC in 2009, Hasbro mentions that they can't say when it is coming back, but when it does it likely won't be called VOTC, since it will encompass more than just the "OTC"

What if they started the "VPTC" with Jar Jar?  Wouldn't that just be a huge kick in the nads?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 27, 2008, 01:59 AM »
More VOTC, but with prequel characters?  Sounds pretty lame to me.  At one time, I thought the idea was fine, but that was in 2004 when the rest of the line pretty much paled in comparison to the VOTC quality.

Now we see great sculpts and articulation in most of the basic line, plus there's the evolutions.

Why pay $10-$12 for prequel figures (or OT characters) to have old school packaging?  Why is this line even overpriced for that matter?  They should be the same price as regular figures, but without the clam shells.

Never mind the price!  Characters dreamed up in the late 1990's don't belong on vintage style card backs - period.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 29, 2008, 11:54 PM »
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the VOTC concept will return in 2009 with a small sub-line of 6 - 8 figures based on characters from TPM - Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Watto, Darth Maul, Qui-Gon, Battledroid and Jar Jar Binks are my guesses when it comes to a TPM 10th anniversary vintage tribute line.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 30, 2008, 11:48 AM »
I notice everyone does not like the idea of having PT characters in the vintage line because they shouldn't be on vintage cards. However Hasbro never even said they would put them on vintage cards, heck what if this vintage like is the same as lasts years only instead of made up vintage cards the figures are placed on the episode 1 card packs? I think that would make more sense, and heck I'd be pretty happy if they did that.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #747 on: March 30, 2008, 08:34 PM »
First off, I'd like Prequel characters on Vinatge cards.   I think it would be a cool sort of "what if..." sceneario.  Also, putting them on retro 1999 cards would be a huge mistake.  That cardback caused many retailers to hate the SW line, and in some cases, that cardback can still be found in stores!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #748 on: March 31, 2008, 05:27 PM »
First off, I'd like Prequel characters on Vinatge cards.   I think it would be a cool sort of "what if..." sceneario.  Also, putting them on retro 1999 cards would be a huge mistake.  That cardback caused many retailers to hate the SW line, and in some cases, that cardback can still be found in stores!

It's funny you said that because I actually just found the Boxed EP 1 Vulture Droid 3pack at Wal-Mart today. It rang up and 14.98. They still have EP1 **** in their systems!!! I thought I would get it for a buck.

I am one who feels the prequels should not be given the VOTC treatment. I would rather they get the EVO treatment in 3 pack. Leave the true Vintage nostalgia to the OT. Anytime I see the EP1 red card I have visions of dirty flee markets and clearance bins. That package should never be produced again.......
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 31, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I suspect completists would have the biggest problem with the vintage cardbacks for prequel characters, because you'd feel like you "had" to buy them to have a full set.  Since I don't buy anything prequel, it doesn't bother me much; but one thing I don't like is to actually make it a Kenner reproduction (since it never really happened).  If they wanted to start a unified line with all film characters on a cardback STYLE like vintage, I wouldn't see the problem.  But to actually make a fake reproduction makes no sense to me, and frankly kind of insults the greatness of vintage  :-\
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke