Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 305719 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #1140 on: February 3, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Why wouldn't you standardize on neck peg size across the board so you can save money on sculpting.  I get the whole sourcing thing, I get the whole different factory thing.  But, being an engineer, why keep reinventing the wheel every single time.  That gets damn expensive.

I think we've all been wondering this for a long time, so you've summarized it perfectly Scott.  WHY don't they have a standard peg size?

This is actually somewhat difficult to achieve given the different proportions between characters. With Joe they have a few different body types (All Human with more standardized chassis) and head sizes so there is more cross compatibility but not it's not 100%. With Troopers this should be easier to achieve. With Aliens it's much more difficult given the funky styles. Hasbro screwed up a lot but this is one issue I cannot fault them for. It's very restrictive and would affect overall sculpts. If they can limit the sizes down to 3-4 Human sizes that would be great but I think everyone is taking this issue too personally. As a designer I understand why this would be a challenge.

a Dremmel and sometimes a little Greenstuff is all you need to have heads fit each other. I am more concerned about the future of the movie than swapping heads. 2010 will be a make or break year for this lines future.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1141 on: February 4, 2010, 11:18 AM »
I agree that is difficult for aliens and such based on scale head size etc...but not for humans.  Human heads are human heads.  ANH Luke is ANH Luke (except for Trash Compactor)...ANH Han is ANH Han...Lando is Lando etc.  It seriously can't be that hard to standardize on the neck peg for humans to make sure you don't have to waste tooling time and resources on a perfected head.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #1142 on: February 4, 2010, 11:56 AM »
I do not disagree on the humans overall, they should be able to get those to 3-4 sizes. Believe me if they could standardize this I am all for it but it's more involved than one thinks. Troopers without removable helmets on other hand are another story. That should be easy for them to do.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 4, 2010, 01:10 PM »
best news out of the QnA, for me atleast, is that a Chukha-Trok sculpt has been made.  Of course though Hasbro has to dish out the bad now a days and go on to say  "that pack has been put by the wayside".

I guess I can still maybe hope for a 2012 release... ::)

edit:  odd that Hasbro didn't mention anything about Kaink.  I asked about all the Ewoks from the Ewok movies a few months back at RS.com and Hasbro said that they were all on the short list.  Perhaps in their neglect to comment on her there could be the possibility she is comming?  I do find that unlikely with the Vintage line just starting - I would not bet against Logray or Wicket for any Ewok slots.

double edit:  Hasbro also mentions a "pack".  So now I gotta wonder, are we talking 2-pack (not likely on a vintage card imo) or an Ewok themed battle pack?...
« Last Edit: February 4, 2010, 01:20 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 4, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I was just reading through some of the Q and A's, and something I noticed (maybe a minor note) is that they are planning on re-releasing the Landspeeder, likely in 2011.  I know it isn't major news or anything, and most of us probably already have it - but I always thought that was a really nicely done vehicle, and I'm glad it will be making it out there again in some way.  I also noticed that in the cardback answer at Han's Hideout Hasbro mentioned that the "vintage line look" would be lasting at least two years - good to hear!  I'd just as soon see the regular "movie" line stick with that look anyways, so I'm glad they are thinking somewhat long term.  I just hope the "two years" comment doesn't mean "we'll see if there is still a market for movie figures after two years" :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1145 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Another round of questions with Hasbro came in today...

-What's your plan to recapture that collector-targeted market you feel was lost during the Legacy run?

-What's the deal with Bespin Luke getting a resculpt so soon?

The answers await you in our latest Hasbro Q&A Session!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 22, 2010, 09:35 PM »
we'll soon have new collectors coming into the fold to take their place

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen    (Hasbro)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1147 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Yeah that was a really interesting answer I thought...

It makes one wonder how they'll change the landscape of the hobby going forward.  The Vintage stuff clearly isn't aimed at the young adult collectors getting into now that were into the PT...  It's a weird thing they've got to deal with.  I also wonder how "devoted" the people who were young when the PT came out are going to be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1148 on: February 22, 2010, 09:56 PM »
The Q&A at Han's Hideout offers up another confirmation that Bom Vimdin, Dr. Evazan, and Ponda Baba are all still coming in 2011.

Three quality choices if you ask me.  I've been wanting Bom forever and Evazan and Ponda are way in need of resculpts.  Very glad to hear they are still on track for 2011.  Also glad to see updates to Snaggletooth, Wuher, and Bith are likely for 2012/2013. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:08 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1149 on: February 22, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Yeah for sure...  Bom's been my most wanted alien for a little while now (they got to everything else I was really after), and Evazan and Ponda were my next wants from the Cantina.  That's 3 quality choices knocked out.  I seriously won't know what I want from there then aside from Garrouf Lafoe and Yerka Migg...  Humans get screwed so badly when it comes to Cantina choices.

Jabba's SE goons are my next choices but they're really not Cantina guys.

I'm truly moving into where humans are my precedence right now though, especiall Garrouf.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1150 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Good to hear about them.  Bom is really the last major alien I want.  Major being a relative term here.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1151 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18 AM »
I'm with Darby, a long time ago, I made a list of major Cantina Aliens...they have now made them all!

The minor ones still haven't been made...BTW...stan strikes again...good call buddy!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 23, 2010, 12:20 AM »
Finally Bom Vimdin!!! Of course Evazan and Ponda are way overdue.  I am looking forward to the vintage cards to! Unfortunately we have to wait another year and a half for them  :'(

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 23, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Good news and bad news. I was expecting these to show as the first wave of 2011, not some undetermined time in the autumn/winter!

Are we likely to get any new Cantina Aliens in the early ANH wave?

If so i guess Bannis Keeg and a minor re tool for geedo or new Hammerhead. Faling that- and considering how popular Rum Sleg has been- i'd guess Dans Borin. Hasbro can basicaly "millitarize" his outfit to suit the market.

Whatever the outcome, i would like to know!

I wonder if Stan could shed any light?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 23, 2010, 12:07 PM »
I thought Hasbro's answer to the recent Q&A regarding their strategy about how to bring collectors back in was their best response on the state of the hobby in a long, long time.  They actually seem to understand in that statement the views of a lot of the collecting community.  That's great to see and I hope they adapt well.