Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 305749 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #1440 on: December 8, 2011, 09:09 AM »
I think because CW is aimed at kids, that they don't really need to make many more figures.  Sure, I could think of dozens I'd like, but the kids want the clones, and heroes.  At this point, the line should be mostly profit with little development of new product.  It's a cash cow.   

That is certainly a valid viewpoint, and I'm sure Hasbro would concur, but I can't help but disagree.

I think kids enjoy variety just as much as collectors. There's tons of variety in the GI JOE line for example. You can't really simulate exciting play with just good guys, you need villains too.

If kids were only interested in core characters, then I would be picking through a sea of pegwarming Armored Savages and Seripas' while trying to find that elusive Anakin or Obi-Wan figure.

Obviously, that is not the case.

Typically in this line, the weird characters sell through pretty well. (Cato Parasitti notwithstanding) So who's buying them up? Apparently not collectors, according to Hasbro, because this is a line aimed only at kids.  ::)

I understand the need to repack core characters, but the whole argument for that is to increase profit margins in order to allocate increased funding for new tooling, character development, etc.

I think they need to strike a balance between the cash cow mentality and a more forward-thinking "let's reinvest to keep this line strong" mentality.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments, there is a lot of rancor over this topic at otheR Sites I notice.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1441 on: December 8, 2011, 09:48 AM »
This all reminds me so much of 1999.

I'm sure all the old timers will remember how pissed everyone was when Hasbro basically confirmed there were only going to be ten new OT figures on the CommTech cards (and those 10 were like 70% resculpts) and the rest of the focus would be the "exciting" new movie stuff.  Then the year 2000 was even worse - only what, 3-4 new OT figures the whole year!

Once again a glut of unwanted TPM stuff is screwing over an existing fanbase, but this time it's CW not OT. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1442 on: December 8, 2011, 01:23 PM »
You know, I was just thinking that.  Very similar circumstances.  And virtually the same products.  Hopefully the retil situation doesn't repeat...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 8, 2011, 02:12 PM »
It does seem awfully similar to the '99 release.  As far as the CW line drought, I'm a bit surprised as well.  I mean, we did have this information initially, but it seems now it wasn't a misprint/quote/etc., and it is really surprising that there are so few figures coming from that line next year.  Even less "new" when we already know about the first couple waves for 2012.  I'm primarily a vintage collector, but do pick up CW stuff here and there too, and it really is a nice line and I'm surprised to see it getting so forgotten.

Even worse is that this is only the first of the "movie" years - and the least liked movie overall at that.  It could be an extended drought for the CW line, unless the TPM push really tanks like it did with the original release.  Then maybe they would change their strategy up a bit.  The Clone Wars line was once so hot, particularly in the first year+, so it is surprising that Hasbro would abandon it so much - unless it (1) really is losing its steam or (2) they are banking on repacks to put the line on cruise control for a bit.

It is funny, we aren't that far off from a time when the Q and A's kept telling us how Legacy was basically on life support, and the CW was selling like gangbusters.  Now vintage is getting more attention (although probably not as much as "Movie Heroes"), and CW is essentially getting put on the back burner.  It will be interesting to see how the line as a whole does next year - and if we're in for another post-TPM glut.  Let's hope not.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 8, 2011, 03:45 PM »
The thing that I'm wondering is if CW is only planned for a few more years and is getting pushed back due to the 3D movies, then is it going to be pushed back for five more years of movie-themed toys? I know they are trying to draw kids in with action features again but most of us care less about those and we laugh at the Saga and Sith figures that had those. I don't know. It's Hasbro's game, I guess.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 8, 2011, 06:37 PM »
When I look at the diminished number of Clone Wars animated figures that are scheduled for next year, it would leave ANYBODY wondering where this line is going.  But then I think back to this figure that was shown at NYCC:

Could this new movie-realistic CW Anakin Skywalker be the new direction of Clone Wars figures?  And could we see some kind of a consolidation of the Star Wars basic figure lines?  Given the way things appear to be selling, I think that may be a distinct possibility.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1446 on: December 8, 2011, 07:21 PM »
I was sort of speculating that with some folks recently, that Clone Wars may be getting some realistics in an attempt to move away from animated completely and meld everything into one line (possibly looking at the line's eventual end with the cartoon's eventual end).  That's fine by me.

I will say though, I can't agree on the "secondary" characters selling well with Clone Wars...  I think, if anything, Hasbro's proven that they don't do well.

Embo, Cato Parasitti, Worm Loathsome, Adm. Yularren...  They all did poorly.  Embo was hard to find for about a month, then he's everywhere.  If it wasn't shorted at retail, it wasn't hard to find (IE: Jar Jar, or Onaka, etc.).  Right now Seripas is still relatively new, and hasn't exactly shipped in good quantity.  I've yet to EVER see one on the pegs, but I've also yet to see a glut of any of the last couple waves either.  Ship enough, and he'll pegwarm too.  Same with armored Savage, though I consider him a little more of a main guy since he has that whole Maul thing going on, and kids love Maul or anything Maul-Like it seems.  But still, Shirtless Savage...  Very easy to find at retail, and do kids really give a poop about him having a shirt or not?

If anything I think CW has shown that kids do NOT care about the lower level characters though, and that collectors don't support CW enough to warrant heavy investment in the more obscure.  Just my opinion though.

I think they still could do more figures for the line next year, as has been pointed out with just doing repaints and part swapping, and minor retooling.  Clones could just get new gear and I think they would still do ok.  Droids could get changes and not do too badly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #1447 on: December 9, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Man, if all future CW figures go realistic I would absolutley love that. They lost a lot of money with me because of the animated look. Having everything under 2 banners is the best thing they can do. (Movie Heroes/CW and Vintage). 3 lines was/has been overkill. It always goes back to basics with the tried and true realistic figures eventually.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 10, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Well, for every collector whose money was left on the table because they decided to go animated, there is always someone like me who was ONLY attracted to this line in the first place because of the animated style.

This is the whole reason I am even on this website, or back into collecting at all. The animated styling brought me back. The animated figures actually look like the characters they are based on. I just like them better. I have no interest in realistic styled figures from an animated show anymore than most realistic collectors are interested in having animated figures made from the OT and PT movies. Just two different animals, we don't need some creepy abomination of a synthesis between the two.

I agree there should only be 2 lines. Vintage and Clone Wars.  ;D

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 1, 2012, 08:58 AM »
Anyone know if these are these ever coming back?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1450 on: March 1, 2012, 02:27 PM »
No word.  They'll contact us when they're ready, if they ultimately do decide to get back to them.  Part of me thinks they're ready to can the idea, but then again I feel that way about every year anymore.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77