Author Topic: UGP - a Star Wars WORLD! - news thread  (Read 44179 times)

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - a Star Wars WORLD!
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Ross, New Baltimore, MI (near Detroit)

P.S. I love the 3-D, but i think the wall chould be higher.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2006, 10:04 PM »
Adam, Fort collins, But no customizers live in FOCO anymore now that Ryan went back to Denver for summer break. Plus, I don't think my mom would allow me to hang out with "strangers" ::) Maybe we could do something I dunno, we'll see.

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2006, 10:18 PM »
If you guys think that's a good Idea.. just Quote mine and add to it ;)

JoeRhyno-Chicago, IL
CHEWIE - St. Louis, MO
Ross, New Baltimore, MI
Adam, Fort collins,??

Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2006, 10:19 PM »
I hear ya Sparty panty.. if my son asked me if he could go hang out with a bunch of 20-30something year old guys.. I'd say no too  ;D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:20 PM by Joerhyno »
Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2006, 10:21 PM »

...but if those ships are to scale I think we are going over the top with this poject, ;D lol.
roron corobb

Yeah, i realize that its not to scale, it's just the concept. The ships i just scaled down so they could fit. Maybe big crusiers cant land here. Maybe shuttles are the biggest ship this port cna handle?  That will keep the size down to a more reasonable one.

But again this is just one idea, i'm sure once everyone gets going there will be better and more realistic.  I hope.
Good call on the forest chewie & CC1.

Just playing Glassman, even know I would love to make something that big. My scale Tantive has been placed on hold forever it seems, but one day I'll start it back up and hopefully finish it.

roron corobb - Redding, California
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2006, 10:29 PM »

JoeRhyno-Chicago, IL
CHEWIE - St. Louis, MO
Ross, New Baltimore, MI
Adam, Fort collins, CO
roron - Redding, CA

I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2006, 10:41 PM »

JoeRhyno-Chicago, IL
CHEWIE - St. Louis, MO
Ross, New Baltimore, MI
Adam, Fort collins, CO
roron - Redding, CA
jedistyle - victorville, CA

again, i'd like to participate and help in anyway i can!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2006, 11:12 PM »

JoeRhyno-Chicago, IL
CHEWIE - St. Louis, MO
Ross, New Baltimore, MI
Adam, Fort collins, CO
roron - Redding, CA
CC1-Saint Louis, MO

It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2006, 11:31 PM »
Should our first course of action be to confirm a size for the entire project, and work from there?

Kevin

That's probably a very good idea, a few rough mock ups before hand wouldn't hurt, but before we really get into the design phase we are going to need to know how big of an area we will have to work with. That way we have a better idea of what sort of features we will actually be able to fit.

Everyone needs to slow down a bit. It's great that everyone is so excited for this project, but we still have almost a year until it needs to be finished. We have plenty of time, there is no sense in getting in so far over our heads now. We need to make sure how we are going to go about all of this. I'm glad there are people who already have figures, we will need them sometime, but we are nowhere near that stage yet, so just hang onto them for awhile.

Until we pick the various teams, team leaders, and the assistant project managers we really can't do very much besides some basic concept art. We need to find out how much booth space costs, actually get a booth, etc. As cool as this is going to be it won't be cheap, we need to get costs and booth space before we can even begin talking about the dimensions of the diorama. There is no sense in building a massive display with no place to put it. We also need to figure out it they have tables or if some of the local guys will have to rent/buy them from elsewhere. Logistics have to come first. There is a bunch to do before we get to the real fun part. And it is something we should do sooner rather than later.

One thing people could start doing is beginning to draw some concept sketches of the architecture the planet may have. These won't be exact blueprints for the buildings so scale isn't too much of an issue. And it doesn't even have to be based on a building that we would use, all we really need is the style. Just get some basic ideas on paper. Since we haven't chosen a style yet just draw whatever comes to mind and we can sort it all out later. It is always better to have too much concept art to choose from rather than not enough.

I know it is hard to hold of on all the diorama/figure planning, I’ve had a bunch of ideas I've had to hold back myself. Everything will run much smoother if we wait though, like I’ve been saying we really need a clear cut plan before we get to the best part.

JoeRhyno- I think eventually we will have to make some sort of terrain samples, so save that idea. Again I don’t think we are quite there yet, but if you want to get a head start by yourself so you’ve got something to show us later, that’d be fine.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:49 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2006, 11:33 PM »

JoeRhyno-Chicago, IL
CHEWIE - St. Louis, MO
Ross, New Baltimore, MI
Adam, Fort collins, CO
roron - Redding, CA
CC1-Saint Louis, MO
Ryan- Fort Collins/Denver, CO

"This is the way."

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2006, 11:56 PM »

JoeRhyno-Chicago, IL
CHEWIE - St. Louis, MO
Ross, New Baltimore, MI
Adam, Fort collins, CO
roron - Redding, CA
CC1-Saint Louis, MO
Ryan- Fort Collins/Denver, CO

I dont know if its necessary to do this, Once the team leaders are established, then one of them can compile this list and the people who are close will get the necessary info.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:58 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2006, 12:24 AM »
Should our first course of action be to confirm a size for the entire project, and work from there?

Kevin

That's probably a very good idea, a few rough mock ups before hand wouldn't hurt, but before we really get into the design phase we are going to need to know how big of an area we will have to work with. That way we have a better idea of what sort of features we will actually be able to fit.

Everyone needs to slow down a bit. It's great that everyone is so excited for this project, but we still have almost a year until it needs to be finished. We have plenty of time, there is no sense in getting in so far over our heads now. We need to make sure how we are going to go about all of this. I'm glad there are people who already have figures, we will need them sometime, but we are nowhere near that stage yet, so just hang onto them for awhile.

Until we pick the various teams, team leaders, and the assistant project managers we really can't do very much besides some basic concept art. We need to find out how much booth space costs, actually get a booth, etc. As cool as this is going to be it won't be cheap, we need to get costs and booth space before we can even begin talking about the dimensions of the diorama. There is no sense in building a massive display with no place to put it. We also need to figure out it they have tables or if some of the local guys will have to rent/buy them from elsewhere. Logistics have to come first. There is a bunch to do before we get to the real fun part. And it is something we should do sooner rather than later.

One thing people could start doing is beginning to draw some concept sketches of the architecture the planet may have. These won't be exact blueprints for the buildings so scale isn't too much of an issue. And it doesn't even have to be based on a building that we would use, all we really need is the style. Just get some basic ideas on paper. Since we haven't chosen a style yet just draw whatever comes to mind and we can sort it all out later. It is always better to have too much concept art to choose from rather than not enough.

I know it is hard to hold of on all the diorama/figure planning, I’ve had a bunch of to hold back myself. Everything will run much smoother if we wait though, like I’ve been saying we really need a clear cut plan before we get to the best part.

JoeRhyno- I think eventually we will have to make some sort of terrain samples, so save that idea. Again I don’t think we are quite there yet, but if you want to get a head start by yourself so you’ve got something to show us later, that’d be fine.

Very good post Ryan.  People do need to slow down, there is a lot of zealousness on this (which is good to see) but we can't get ahead of ourselves.  We need to create a Project Plan for this.

Getting the actual information on tables/booths/price/dimensions really should be the first thing that is set.  It would be foolish to go much beyond that at this point, other than some sketches.

:)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2006, 12:31 AM »
Hrmmmm....Imperial attack and enslavement of Kashyyyk anyone?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2006, 01:30 AM »
I agree with Ryan and Chewie. WE need to start setting the bases for this project. I think the team leader needs to set a game plan and we can go from there.

Also the Kashyyyk idea is cool, but most of that planet is in trees. I don't think many non-Wookiee types would be there too. Could work though.
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2006, 01:52 AM »
Could work, as Dressel has hundreds of Sneak Peak Wookiee Warriors he would donate to this.   ;D

Actually, Dressel I'll shoot you a PM about something similar to what you are thinking, on a smaller project I might have coming up with Owen.

:)