Author Topic: Star Wars on DVD - the future  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Star Wars on DVD - the future
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:42 AM »
As some of you may know, I have many friends who work in the DVD industry in various capacities. One of them has passed along an interesting piece of information that has not and will not be released to the public that you'll certainly find interesting:

Lucasfilm is planning to release new Star Wars DVD's every November for the next 10 years.

The content of those DVD's is not known to my contact, however he did confirm that many at Lucasfilm insisted that they take the time to do the anamorphic transfer for this years release. Obviously, they were shot down.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 11:43 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on DVD - the future
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Normally I'd scoff at an idea like this as an obviously false rumor - but with Lucas, anything is possible.

If it helps keep the toys going, I guess I'm okay with it.  Now I feel better about my decision to not partake in this year's upcoming release.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:50 AM »
As some of you may know, I have many friends who work in the DVD industry in various capacities. One of them has passed along an interesting piece of information that has not and will not be release to the public that you'll certainly find interesting:

Lucasfilm is planning to release new Star Wars DVD's every November for the next 10 years.

The content of those DVD's is not known to my contact, however he did confirm that many at Lucasfilm insisted that they take the time to do the anamorphic transfer for this years release. Obviously, they were shot down.

That is absolutely and completely ridiculously untrue, in every possible way.  Clearly, with the upcoming animated series, the upcoming live-action series, and Indiana Jones 4, Lucasland has way too much on their table right now to bother releasing a different DVD set every year.  And even if they didn't, in no way they would take advantage of their fans by pulling some stunt like that.

DVD has been around for nine years, and it's only had two releases of the original trilogy in that entire time!  The first in Fall 2004, and the next in Fall 2005.  And then there's the set that's due this fall.  And we still have the re-release of that set with anamorphic versions of the originals, because "the fans demanded it."  Of course, the 30th anniversary is next year; surely there'll be some new DVDs to commemorate that.  Don't forget about the 3D versions of the complete saga that they're working on.  Us fans are going to want to own those, too.  And then there's the high-definition versions.  Maybe we'll get separate, vastly-different versions for each of the two formats, if we're lucky.  And a year or two after they come out, we can expect a new release of the original-original trilogy, again because "the fans demanded it."  (But they'll be in standard-DVD format only, because Lucasfilm "won't have the time/money/technology" to transfer them to high-definition.  And looming on the horizon is the ultimate, mega 50th anniversary set due in 2027, on the brand-new holographic disc format.  And then there's Anyone still reading this?  Seriously?  bull****.  It's too small!  The only way you can possibly still be reading this at this size is if you've quoted my post, and are reading it in your reply window, where it appears completely normal, until it's posted, and the little "size tags" do their dirty work, rendering it all illegible again. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:59 AM »
November 2006: Unaltered OT
November 2007: Probably a box set of all 6
November 2008: Animated Series DVD
November 2009: Something having to do with the movies
November 2010: Live Action Show DVD
November 2011-2016: Who knows?
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:48 PM »
Quote from: Rob link=topic=12801.msg237038#msg237038 date=1150899149...
but with Lucas, anything is possible.

I couldn't have said it better myself.... Lucas will bleed this property for all it's worth and now with HD and Blu-Ray I can easily see them putting something out every year in various formats...

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Code: [Select]
mega 50th anniversary set due in 2027, on the brand-new holographic disc format.  And then there's 
There's going to be a holographic edition?  Well, shoot...I should just save up for that I guess.
Got Clones?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Call me crazy, but I still want the complete Droids/Ewoks cartoon series released on DVD.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 11:09 PM »
Call me crazy, but I still want the complete Droids/Ewoks cartoon series released on DVD.

Crazy. :P
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(