Author Topic: Your Judicial Philosophy  (Read 9867 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Your Judicial Philosophy
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 06:49 PM »
It's the same thing with all sorts of things... bad parents are always looking for someone to blame, be it rock music, video games, or now myspace.  Violence existed before all of those things.

It's crap - and hopefully the judges can see through it.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 07:12 PM »
I agree with everyone else. Not MySpace's fault, bad parents, etc. Also, MySpace automatically makes profiles Private for people under 16, where only people on your Friend List can see your profile - meaning that this girl either gave a false age or accepted this guy as a Friend.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 09:26 AM »
So let me make sure that I'm clear on this:

Daughter gave a false age
19 year old told her that he was on the Senior football team, so she thought he was . .what. . 17 0r 18 instead of 19.
Daughter still met with dude.

Oh yeah.  Definitely Myspace's fault.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 10:24 AM »
So let me make sure that I'm clear on this:

Daughter gave a false age
19 year old told her that he was on the Senior football team, so she thought he was . .what. . 17 0r 18 instead of 19.
Daughter still met with dude.

Oh yeah.  Definitely Myspace's fault.

Yup  :)

If you give a gun to a chimp (or 2 chimps), and the chimp shoots somebody, you don't blame the chimp.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 10:46 AM »
If you give a gun to a chimp (or 2 chimps), and the chimp shoots somebody, you don't blame the chimp.
I sure hope you're kidding...my sarcasm sensor just isn't working like it used to.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 11:08 PM »
Just watching the local news, the 19 year old was interviewed today. He said that the girl lied about her age, and he thought she was older, which is making him think of "taking legal action" as well. Very brief, but it helped prove that these people are idiots.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 11:11 PM »
If this kid is proven guilty, he needs to spend 40 years in the can, no parole.

This girls parents should have been on top of things, for sure.

Myspace is not to blame here, it's bad parenting.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 06:25 PM »
If the girl lied about her age, too bad, it's still a crime. These types of crimes have been happening ever since chat rooms appeared. The Internet provider and/or the website can not over see everyones activity they are providing a service to people that wish to use the site.

For years numerous news organization have said "Watch what your kids are doing online."  Talk to your kids be a parent, not the friend. Snoop through emails and web history. Talk to your children about the possible dangers of a stranger.

Myspace- not responsible

parents- maybe will now take some responibility in their kids life

assualtor- 20 years tops
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 09:14 PM »
Jeez, I'm about as shyster as they come, and I wouldn't touch this case with a ten foot pole.

Adam Loewy, the plaintiffs' attorney, is a real estate and corporate attorney who dabbles in a little bit of bankruptcy.  He's no "trial lawyer," as we're called by the media.  My guess is he's doing this case strictly for the PR.

I'd love to get a copy of that complaint to see what theories are alleged.  But according to Loewy, the web site is being sued for its "failure to protect her online when they knew sexual predators were on that site."

Let's break it down:

When distilled, there are only so many reasons you can sue--they're called "causes of action."  If you don't have a cause of action, a court can't grant you relief, and the other side is entitled to dismissal of the case.

Unless there's some sort of statutory cause of action with which I'm unfamiliar, these plaintiffs have no cause of action.

To state a claim in tort, you (generally) either have to have an intentional tort (which the girl undeniably has against the perpetrator), or negligence.  To establish negligence, you have to show 1) the existence of a duty of care; 2) the defendant breached the duty; 3) the defendant's breach proximately caused the plaintiff's injuries; and 4) damages.

She isn't even close to being able to show the existence of a duty--MySpace does not, and indeed, cannot, owe its users a duty of care "to protect [users] online when [MySpace] knew sexual predators were on that site."

(Sidenote: that obviously presupposes MySpace knew, or should have known, that sexual predators were on the site.  It's a long shot, but I can see why a lawyer would at least attempt to make that argument).

Even if it did owe such a duty, it's obligation to reasonably perform that duty goes away the instant the user voluntarily enters false information in accessing the site and its contents.

Furthermore, even if MySpace did owe such a duty, it has no duty to affirmatively protect the users from voluntarily meeting each other out in the real world.  What the claim amounts to is that if MySpace is going to run the way it runs, it should appoint a full-time babysitter to each user to monitor their offline behavior.

Ridiculous.

I suppose there are other theories out there, but I have a tough time conjuring them up.  For instance, MySpace's user agreement does not include a contractual obligation to protect its users from online predators, much less the actions of online predators with whom users voluntarily choose to meet up with in the real world.  Thus, there's no claim in contract, i.e., no cause of action.

Even if you can establish a cause of action, i.e., state a claim for which relief can be granted, there are so many defenses to this (subsequent intervening cause; failure to join an indespensible party (the molestor), etc.), it's not even funny.

This lawyer's capitalizing on his clients because he doesn't want to shell out for Yellow Pages ads.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:15 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 09:22 PM »
By the way, what does this case really have to do with anyone's judicial philosophy?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 09:23 PM »

Who died and made you Judge Wapner Sprry75???

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 09:26 PM »
That doesn't matter; I find you in contempt.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 09:28 PM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 09:29 PM »

Sorry, my mistake, you remind me much, much more of Judge Judy...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 10:16 PM »

"Got a job? Git [sic] one!"
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life