Author Topic: TRU Exclusive TSC TIE Fighter  (Read 23916 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Exclusive TSC TIE Fighter
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 03:25 PM »
So... how soon until we get the updated version with the proper wings and the proper hatch? :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 03:56 AM »
The hatch is one of those things that I find dubious...  I don't see it as proper or improper, honestly.  The films don't clarify how a hatch opens on the thing, and the models don't give it away either when you see them up close.  Even EU seems to imply different ways of opening for the hatch so it's anyone's guess.  I really don't understand why Hasbro did that little update then.

If I can find (I'd like 2) the new TIE I'll try picking it up...  I'd love a couple for flanking a (hopefully) grey Vader's TIE down the road at some point. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 09:59 AM »
Right. Then perhaps I should have wrote "Proper." :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 04:40 PM »
It just strikes me as really odd...  I don't get why Hasbro put forth the effort on it when there's nothing to imply what they have is "inaccurate"...  The split cannopy actually makes more sense from an "ejection" standpoint...

Hasbro's weird though, as that had to require tooling costs...  I don't get what their thinking was on it though.  Why bother, ya know?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 04:50 PM »
I don't get what their thinking was on it though.  Why bother, ya know?

From the RS Week 9 Q&A:

It starts with our strategy of wanting to get an everyday priced $20 TIE fighter out there for kids and collectors in our Starfighter Vehicle Asst. We could have taken the existing version, but we wanted to make it new, rather than a straight repack. In addition to deco, we wanted to affect another aesthetic change to the hatch change. We didn't have a lot of tooling dollars to use (we were saving those for the new 2007 vehicles) but we could afford to update the hatch. This was a nice aesthetic change that we were able to execute.

In other words, "we knew suckers like Jeff wouldn't buy it if it was just another TIE repaint, so we re-tooled the hatch to make sure that folks like him pony up the cash for one since it's technically new".  :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Wait, so they changed the hatch? How? I've been out of the loop on this whole ship.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Instead of the hatch being two pieces (opening in the middle), the hatch is now one piece.  It's really a better design for kids because it's easier to open/close. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Ah, gotcha.

Still on the fence about this one. $45 is a lot of cash, but the TIE is pretty cool...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Wait, so they changed the hatch? How? I've been out of the loop on this whole ship.

The TRU Exclusive TIE ($45) that is out now is just a repaint of the Target TIE from last year (the one with the larger wings).

The new hatch is on the White TIE Fighter ($20) that is coming in 2007 (and it has the old small vintage wings). 

Just to be clear, the TRU TIE does NOT have the new hatch...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 10:15 AM »
The new hatch (on the smaller one) is Hasbro's version of Malibu Stacy with a new hat.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:16 AM by Darth_Anton »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 11:48 AM »
I'm still undecided on the new TIE(s) that are coming out.  I wanted to pick up the larger winged version at Target last year, but just couldn't justify the price at the time.  This year, the timing isn't much better, so I'm not sure.  I'd like to get all of the OT ships (eventually), but I'm wondering if the "larger wings" are worth $45 to me or not.  I have the regular, earlier version (KB Toys Exc. from a couple years back I believe)  Although it is not scaled correctly, the upcoming white TIE is more of a price range I can handle at $20.  For those of you that have it, do you feel the larger wings are "worth" the purchase?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Brian,

I had one and sold it - it just wasn't worth paying 2X what a regular TIE goes for.  That and I wasn't happy with the "sloppiness" of the attachment method used for the wings.

Jeff - thanks for clarifying the hatch thingy - I was unaware that the change was only to the $20 version.

Really, that does not make sense as they probably could sell a few more TRU versions if they had put the new hatch on it.  It's the same body as the $20 version.... ???

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Brian,

I had one and sold it - it just wasn't worth paying 2X what a regular TIE goes for.  That and I wasn't happy with the "sloppiness" of the attachment method used for the wings.

Thanks, that is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for.  I'm trying to decide if its really worth $45 to me to have larger wings.  Sure, its more accurate, and I'd like to have it - just not at that price necessarily.  Heck, I could pick up a couple of the "regular" version and have a small fleet for the price I'd pay for the wings.  I'll have to think about it I guess, but with space dwindling and trying to reign in spending, I have to think of what's really worth it at this point.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2006, 12:46 PM »
I felt that the larger wings were worth the $30 purchase, but not for $45 - that's just plain overkill.  I really like the larger winged version as it really made the older ties look like the "toys" they are.  I do think that $30 was a fair price for this vehicle though the saggy wings really detract from the overall look.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 06:22 PM »
The new hatch (on the smaller one) is Hasbro's version of Malibu Stacy with a new hat.
LOL. Don't forget Boussh Chewie! :P
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m