Author Topic: Assault Vehicles - Rumors and Speculation  (Read 33816 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Assault Vehicles - Rumors and Speculation
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2007, 02:33 PM »
The two new OT vehicles I'd like the most are a Lars Family Speeder and the Rebel sleds from the hangars.  The Cloud Car is a close 3rd then, but really I guess I've always jsut figured I'd paint up a vintage one someday since they're quite inexpensive.  I can dig why anyone wants a new one though too.

I think in '08 with the CW line, that OT stuff is just gonna suffer though...

Snowspeeder and AT-ST are my most desired resculpts though on OT ships.  Both are grossly out of scale, and the AT-ST's sculpt just doesn't translate these days.  The Speeder's got the detail but not the right size. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2007, 03:02 PM »
I am actually surprised that many people are not happy with the Snowspeeder. I have zero complaints on that vehicle. Having it smaller I find to be less desirable in many ways. I am happy with all 3 they have released and do not see the need for a redo.
I agree 100% the AT-ST is too dated, wrong scale and really needs a re-sculpt.

here are my top wants for the OT

1. AT-ST
2. Jabba's sail Barge
3. Hanger Bay Transport (Can pack the sled, ladders and fuel pipes to round it out)
4. Skiff Resculpt so it fits the right amount of dudes
5. Rebel Troop transport (old school sculpt with killer paint job)

Beasts
1. Jabba
2. Taun - Taun
3. Dewback
4. Rancor
5. Kryat Dragon
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2007, 04:09 PM »
I think the most telling thing about the Snowspeeder has come from Hasbro in the Q&A process.  When Hasbro asked which of the original Kenner molds needed to be brought up to date they responded the Snowspeeder first, and the AT-ST second.  And understandably so.  The interior alone is pretty bare and doesn't measure up with the modern vehicles.  Plus it should be pretty cramped inside, but you'll notice the figures always flop around in the vintage ship as well as the modern re-releases.

In the case of the AT-ST, we've gotten a really good look inside the vehicle in ROTJ.  That vehicle should be able to hold the VOTC Chewbacca as well as 2 Ewoks, or two Imperial drivers.  So the crew cabin needs to be updated to accomodate that AND look a bit more accurate.  I think we'll get that at some point, but it has to be when the line is ready to support it.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I am actually surprised that many people are not happy with the Snowspeeder. I have zero complaints on that vehicle. Having it smaller I find to be less desirable in many ways. I am happy with all 3 they have released and do not see the need for a redo.

I agree, but I do have one complaint, I'd like to see the seat moved forward.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2007, 10:14 PM »
So it appears after all the promises from Hasbro that the Obi-Wan/Anakin Utapau/Mustafar Jedi Starfighters would be unchanged from their original release, at least the Obi-Wan JSF is apparently going to be made more film accurate, with silver/gray in place of the original white plastic.

EE's listing for the ship

While I'm not thrilled about spending another 20 dollars on this ship (especially after the endless nightmare of trying to get the correct label sheet for the 2005 TRU version), the film-accurate paintjob looks sharp and superior to the original TRU version.  I'll definitely be picking it up when it's released.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Between this year's Darth Vader Starfighter and this Obi-Wan, I don't know which one I like better.  While I wasn't thrilled earlier in the year to see them release a completely EU starfighter, again, they really did do a good job on the DV starfighter.  Looks like we can be prepared for the full rainbow of Jedi starfighters to hit in '08.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2007, 01:51 AM »
I have no problem at all with this repainted Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Interceptor.  It's a far superior paintjob to the original.  Which begs the question of why was the original so messed up?

The rumor mill also has it that Hasbro is re-doing the green Anakin Jedi Interceptor as well.  And the original release on that suffered from the same inaccurate paintjob as the original Obi-Wan fighter.  It's good to see Hasbro making good on this at the very least.

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2007, 09:11 AM »
It's a nice coincidence that I never picked up an extra blue Obi-Wan fighter to open, so as far as I'm concerned, they made the right choice.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2007, 05:21 PM »
I can't recall which site it was off hand (I think it might have been JTA), but in the recent Q and A, someone asked about the recent pic on EE of Obi-Wan's starfighter, and Hasbro didn't know where they got that from, and sounded like it would indeed be the original blue/white colors - the same as the initial release.  Personally, I really hope that isn't the case, I like the look of the recent EE pic much better, and I was looking forward to picking it up.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2007, 09:15 AM »
EE is listing the Walker, Grevious' ship and Obi-wan's as '08 releases. Has anyone else confirmed that?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Hasbro has said all along that they most likey wouldn't get here until 2008.   

From the SDCC slides:  "we will continue with new in 2008"

And then from the Q&A:

Will we ever see a re-release of the Toys R Us exclusive Anakin and Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighters with the blue & green color schemes? (JI, 07/20/07)

Yes, our plan is to bring this into the 85196 Starfighter Vehicle Assortment, for a national release, early in 2008.

I think it was just wishful thinking that they would slip out early... and that may still happen depending on how fast things sell at Christmas.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 1, 2007, 03:55 PM »
I was at my local comic shop today and thumbed through the new edition of Diamond Previews.  In it was a green Anakin Skywalker Jedi starfighter.  And it was decoed very much like this one:

So much for a straight reissue of the 2005 ROTS TRU exclusive fighters.

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 2, 2007, 09:08 AM »
What's different about that deco? Could it also be that they just tweaked another ship in Photoshop as to not photograph another fighter?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 2, 2007, 01:34 PM »
What's different about that deco? Could it also be that they just tweaked another ship in Photoshop as to not photograph another fighter?

The photo Nick posted is pretty much the same one that EE had on their site a few weeks back (and which I mentioned on 10/21/2007 earlier in this thread) for the Obi-Wan JSF.  And, as Brian mentioned a few posts earlier, Hasbro said in a Q&A that the photograph was a mistake of some sort and that the ship that would be released would be identical to the 2005 TRU exclusive and *not* this (film accurate) repainted version.

For the record, the main difference in the two is that the original Utapau JSF was a brilliant white with blue accents and (as I complained about endlessly at the time) came with an incorrect sticker sheet (of Anakin's yellow JSF).  In the film (as in the Titanium 3" vehicle), Obi-Wan's JSF he took to Utapau was silver/gray with blue accents (as seen in the photo Nick posted and that I linked to on EE's site earlier in the thread).  I'm hoping that, regardless of which version they go with for the actual release, Hasbro sees fit to at least include the correct sticker sheet and not Anakin's yellow JSF sheet like the original release.

(For the record, Hasbro did eventually send out replacement corrected sticker sheets free of charge to most people who complained on their site, but that was also the beginning of the slightly-off-kilter sticker width/length on the astromech droid bodies that has sadly continued into the Mace and Vader JSF label sheets)

Most of the photos of Anakin's green JSF he takes to Mustafar are really poorly lit and the actual set prop (built full-scale) seems to differ from the CG model (just watch the Hopalong Artoo in the Droid Socket flub during the scene on Padme's veranda; as they said on Futurama: "You watched it, you can't unwatch it!").  Even the Chronicles: The Prequels book has no clear shot, CG or otherwise, of the actual Mustafar JSF, and if someone has a clear and well-lit photo of it, I'd appreciate seeing it for my own information. :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 2, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Actually, this was Hasbro's response to JTA on this very subject:

JEDI TEMPLE ARCHIVES

QUESTION:  You had indicated in a previous Q&A sessions that the re-released blue Obi-Wan Starfighter and the green Anakin Jedi Starfighter would have the same white paint applications as the original release.  This picture from Entertainment Earth
seems to indicate that the paint apps have been updated to better reflect what we saw in the film and we like what we see.  Can you tell us if this new "grey" paint application is what we'll see on these re-released vehicles?

ANSWER:  Ok, this is an odd one.  We did not spec any changes to this vehicle, and have no record of a new paint master. Which means that the product that is shipping will most likely be the same one released before but in a new (closed) box. We do not know where the shot referenced came from. We'll dig into it some more...

Hasbro's response seemed to indicate that even they are confused about the situation.  If they're mistaken and we've got these fighters coming out in more accurate paint schemes, I'm that much happier.

Also, the photo I posted was the one from the EE product listing.  Previously EE had photoshopped the image of the Darth Vader Sith Starfighter, and they had posted as much in that product listing.  However the new product listing for the Obi-Wan fighter does not have any such disclaimer.  And neither does the product listing in the new edition of Diamond Previews that shows the green Anakin Skywalker Jedi starfighter.

Feedback