Author Topic: UGP Custom Figures and Vehicles thread.  (Read 98266 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: UGP Custom Figures and Vehicles thread.
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Pendragon - Phruby, Glass, Ryan and I basically shot each other a lot of PM's this past week, that's all it was.  Your points are very well noted though and we can certainly discuss and see what we can do for sure.  Thanks on the Jedi, I hope it looks ok for the project.

Famine - I like the idea of Swoops a little more than a hover tank just because this strike team would probably not have the resources to get a tank, or get it close to the city without it being destroyed before it even got close... maybe Swoops though on the outside of the city?

:P

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2007, 10:19 PM »
 :o :o :o That is another SWEET Jedi!!  8) 8)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: FEB 14th - Tracking down what we have SO FAR...
« Reply #227 on: April 1, 2007, 01:49 AM »
Am I the only one worried about the Citizen to Imperial ratio on this project?

Without posting pics, can we get an estimate on who is bringing what along the lines of citizens? We've got so many damn imperials I can only hope we'll have enough Joe and Jane customs to fill the streets and such.

I personally can guarantee 7 Citizens right now, without making any customs between now and then. I will be making more, though.

Who else is sending citizens, and how many?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: FEB 14th - Tracking down what we have SO FAR...
« Reply #228 on: April 1, 2007, 02:00 AM »
That's a very good point that you are raising.

I've got a lot of sorting to do in the next week Kevin since I'm having to move my whole collection right now, but I think I can send anywhere from 30-50 custom citizens (most are just past customs I've made of generic background characters).  I know I've already got a lot boxed up ready to ship to Phruby.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
I am. Hence my stance against using more than 6-8 Rebels, and against using any Imperial customs other than Daigo-Bah's and this latest one from Fritz. The way I see it the time spent on every Imperial custom is time that could have been a citizen or two. Part of the reason we took Anton's army was so that we wouldn't have to worry about any Imperial customs, the other part is so we actually have Imperials that look alike.

Just for reference: At the moment there are 483,791 Coalition and Iraqi troops in Iraq. Iraq has a population of 26,783,383. That's a ratio of approximately 55.4 civilians for every 1 trooper. We would need about 3988.8 civilians to match that.... Granted this right on the hub of the military base so we can get away with fudging that ratio a bit since we are concentrated on just this one heavily militarized area. There would be a bunch of civvies just outside the diorama, in the surrounding city. But we still need the civvies to outnumber the Imperials at least 2:1 better yet 3:1 or 4:1. Meaning we have to get cracking on civilian customs and stop all together on all Imperials. 4:1 means 288 civvies, which may be a bit unrealistic, but I think we can hit between 216 and 144. So anyone working on Imperials for this project needs to stop now at switch to civilians.

Also as to why I wanted so few Rebels...

It is estimated that there are 13000-17000 insurgents in Iraq, that makes a 1575.5:1 ratio of Rebels to Civilians and a 28.6:1 Trooper to Insurgent ratio. Based off that we SHOULD have 2.51 Rebels. But since that is ridiculously small we can have a few more. This small group would have no access whatsoever to heavy armor, and as such would have no business even attempting a frontal assault on the city. I could maybe see a rebel swoop or two, but no armor. The Rebels need to be able to blend in with the crowd, they don't stand a chance at any tactic other than guerilla warfare. And if this is still early on between Episodes 3 and 4, the Alliance has little to no organization and very little manpower. More reason to have no logos of any kind on the rebels. And their cloths need to be fairly inconspicuous as well, so I don't particularly like and of the fleet trooper helmets. They need every advantage they can get without the numbers or technology of the Empire. A big white helmet in the middle of the forest might as well be a bright orange vest that hunters wear. Not the kind of advantage they are looking for. I think a small party (3-4) ambushing a small Imperial patrol in the wilderness and maybe a few (3-4) in the city is plenty. There could be more rebels if this was part of a large attack but they would be in other parts of the city away from the main base here, avoiding the main gate. Perhaps they could be creating a diversion for the Jedi we will have who are attempting to get to the Imperial Command center, and destroy it. More rebels beyond the 6-8 is overkill. Oh and Fritz I agree with Chewie that the Heavy ordinance Rebel looks better without most of the gear. The accessories just look too GiJoe to me, I think it is mainly the heavy weapon; the other parts sans the white helmet are fine. Like Chewie said go with an Endor helmet here. And maybe you could remove the Rebel logos from all the arm pads.

I don't need to explain vehicles anymore as Justin did a good job presenting what we talked about and no one really seems to have a problem with those numbers.

I have several civilian types already made to contribute as well, at least 6 maybe 10. And I will be making more too hopefully I'll send around 15.
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Oh, BTW, I vote on replacing jedistyle's first custom Jedi (The four armed one) with his newest Force Unleashed style Jedi. The four armed Jedi feels more traditional and pre-Order 66 style. It still is a fantastic figure I just think the new one fits what we are going for with the Force Unleashed theme.
"This is the way."

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #231 on: April 1, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Jesus PenDragon, you're a pain right in the ass.  ;)

Yes, yes I am ;)

But since you seem to have some similar concerns, I'm still glad I brought it up  ;D

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #232 on: April 1, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Pen be sure to check out the Finalizing Decisions thread as the discusion continues there. We have kind of branched out everywhere with it as it is relavent in a few threads. I'm going to try and keep in condensed there for now.
"This is the way."

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
I'd like to do a couple citizens. Are there any species that are NOT wanted? I haven't been able to follow the various threads so sorry if this is mentioned somewhere already.

Also, what about stuff like custom R2s and protocol droids? Needed?

E>
« Last Edit: April 1, 2007, 06:03 PM by elmeaux »

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
And, in addition to my assigned project, I am still shooting to add some filler citizens to the city, just random characters from my fan fiction misc stuff over here.
"A great warrior, you say? Wars do not make one great." Master Yoda, TESB

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
I'd like to do a couple citizens. Are there any species that are NOT wanted? I haven't been able to follow the various threads so sorry if this is mentioned somewhere already.

Also, what about stuff like custom R2s and protocol droids? Needed?

E>

We don't have any kind of species bans in effect I don't believe. Droids are more than welcomed too, as long as we don't have excessive numbers of them.

And, in addition to my assigned project, I am still shooting to add some filler citizens to the city, just random characters from my fan fiction misc stuff over here.

Good to hear Sarge. Some of those feel a little too much like GiJoe, or POTF2 figures, when I look at them, but that might just be me. Looking at all those I think we could use any of the following:

Alsowana D-Ukalero; Mercenary
Bria Tharen; Bounty Hunter
Ca Vel Gulad; Miner
Cam Bison; Bounty Hunter
Eeva Malkah; Moisture farmer
Grautoo; Entrepreneur
Kedim; Socialite
Lissa Karan; Smuggler
Clecur Piuta; Entrepreneur
Comac Jaroslav; Political Activist
Fee Decinus; Entrepreneur
Icyl Naquid; Senate Aide
Leek Madra; Confederate Operative
Norval; Opera Promoter
Rahel Gimsa; Industrisist
Dathagnde; Smuggler
Shors; Pilot-for-hire

Again that's just my opinion so we shall have to see what the others leaders think.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2007, 07:32 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 1, 2007, 09:22 PM »
In spite of being ordered to do otherwise I decided to make some more  UGP Imperials. I really think that we need to add custom troopers as well. Lets face it Star Wars fans love troopers and we as customizers love to make them. Just look at the responses you get from a cool trooper custom compared to the responses you get from a Jedi or alien custom.

Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #237 on: April 1, 2007, 09:33 PM »
They are definitely very fantastic figures Fritz.

I just think we don't need them and we are wasting our time making them. We only have one month until all these have to be shipped. I explained this more in the Finalizing Decisions sticky thread but we need citizens. Darth Anton has been kind enough to supply us with a full army so we have more time to devote to civilian customs. If anything we shouldn't have ANY trooper customs and maybe we'd have a few officers. But based off the five custom Imperial officers we now have, we'd already be about done. We don't want more than 72 Imperials but we also don't want to break down the sqaud structure and have too many officers. We really need to do something about the Civilian to Trooper ratio, and building Imperials is going in the wrong direction.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
You didn't think you were gonna do this witout me did you. ;D

Sorry for the absence guys,I've been blocked as far as customs go, and in the meantime I have done quite a bit of soul searchin, and I have come up with a decision.

If you'll still have me I would love to be a part of this. Now that we are so close to the deadline, I would like to see this out to the bitter end.

I basically bowed out for a little while due to the extreme lack of response to just about anything I tried, and if you don't beleive me look at the challenge threads I started.

Are we gonna do this or not. And If I start something will I get any reaponse. If there is no cooperation then there is no point in me even being a group leader.

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
Well Ryan, like I told Chewie the Heavy Ordanance Rebel looks like crap without his gear so, I'd rather not use him at all. I have a head like that one I could slap on a Endor rebel body, since that seems to be what your going for. I no you've got all this real-world logic your trying to work into this thing, but real-world logic never much applied in Star Wars. I'd rather people say Wow! that looks cool, than worry about a Rebel insignia being to obvoius. Hell you've already taken all the creativity out of the Imperial customs, lets dilute the few actual custom figs we will have in the dio. It seems that this project is turning more into to a Diorama project rather than a custom project.
Fritzkrieg