Author Topic: UGP Custom Figures and Vehicles thread.  (Read 98137 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Everything looks so great!  I think upping the rebels to 8 is a great idea, and that wookiee NEEDS to be in there!  If we go with Chewie's green rebel transport, then perhaps Fritz's imperial colored vehicles can be utilized within and outside the city.  We are going to need a similar thread for buildings and structures, by the way.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
Re: UGP Custom Figures and Vehicles thread.
« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Well, maybe we don't even need firefighters, it's not like there's going to be a fire in this that they're putting out...

I thought the rebs were in the midst of attacking? Did I miss something? Cuz this is where I was getting the Q about only having 6 (or even 8 for that matter) rebels. And all but 2 are human? And those all ware the same uniform?

I guess, the more I see of this plan, the more it feels like (except for some anachronistic jedi) post-Hoth rather than pre-Yavin.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:49 PM by PenDragon »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2007, 03:04 PM »
Well, maybe we don't even need firefighters, it's not like there's going to be a fire in this that they're putting out...

I thought the rebs were in the midst of attacking? Did I miss something? Cuz this is where I was getting the Q about only having 6 (or even 8 for that matter) rebels. And all but 2 are human? And those all ware the same uniform?

I guess, the more I see of this plan, the more it feels like (except for some anachronistic jedi) post-Hoth rather than pre-Yavin.

I think it seems very pre-Yavin still... I'm sure there's some non human Rebels defying the Empire prior to Hoth. 

There are some Rebels in the midst of attacking, that's not being taken out by any means.  Just not a full scale assault.  It's more of a rag tag group of Rebels, and they're not all in the same uniform - I'm seeing similarities but not a consistent outfit like we see the Rebels wearing in the OT.  Did you want them to all be of the same uniform or different?  I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're aiming at here - uniformity or individuality?  Right now it looks like only a couple of them are in the same uniform.  If they were all to be the same, it looks to me like we'd have to make up a whole new batch of Rebels.

:P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
I agree, the Wookiee is a must for the diorama (I think the Mon Cal is too).  And I'm thinking 8 or so Rebels in the city is the way to go, along with 4 Jedi in a different area facing Vader.

If we go with the green Rebel speeder, it would definitely need to be outside the city walls like you said.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11 PM »
 ;D Sorry - trying to do too many things at once. I'll try to keep my thoughts a bit more ... cohesive ;)

My first concern is that most of the rebs are human. (The human to 'other' species ratio has nothing to do with the feeling of post-Hothiness. It's more the uniformity of the rebels' looks & use of an ATST/ATAT that's giving me that take on it.) I'd love to see more non-humans. Especially ones that didn't look similar in dress to the Fritz's rebs.

This brings up my second concern. This being that the humans & calamari all look enough alike. It feels like they might as well be from an established millitary. I could get behind the exclusive use Fritz's rebels if they didn't look like they all came from the same former military organization (in that they may have different ranks or different jobs, but they all seem to have the same colors & style). So, way more individuality would be something that I'd love to see.

These guys just don't scream rag-tag, assembled from different back-grounds, proto-rebels to me. As a force unto themselves anyway.

The exceptions here being the Wookie & the 2 commandos. They, at least, look different enough. The wookie is wicked awesome - I agree he should definitely be part of it. But the rebel commandos look far too much like comic book Rebel Commandos (in fact, I have two comic-book inspired rebel commandos on the back burner that use a similar recipe to what Fritz has here). So, as different as they look, those 2 just don't do it for me.

My third, final ("thank god, maybe he'll shut up soon"), but most nagging concern is that I can not seem to make myself believe that a band of 6 rebellious military types would ever bring on a mini-assault. Even when backed by 4 Jedi , they'd use stealth, not a hover APC. (On a side note, I thought that 3 jedi was a little much. 4 seems like it's starting to wander into overkill - to me anyway :-[ )

The only way I can seem to make this work in my head, is if a huge group of rebs got together and staged an all-or-nothin'  "lets destroy the Imperial Command Center" kinda shindig.

Unless maybe the Rebs were being held prisoner & the Jedi staged a hit & run rescue. Or, vice versa. Or perhaps your Beat-to-heck Jedi is the prisoner, and the rebs busted down the gate with the help of the other Jedi, and are making a hit & run rescue.

Anywho, there may be a lot of words in my post here, but it's still only my 0.02$ so take it for what it's worth ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:39 PM by PenDragon »

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2007, 04:22 PM »
 ;D i love the Jedi! Chewie! All the rest look great too!Great job to all! 8)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Well,

That was a lot to digest. When I designed my Rebels I kind of invisioned them as a small harrassment force put together by a newly formed Rebelion. This groups main function was to disrupt the flow of resources to the empire. They don't have to be a large force because their mission is not to completely rid the planet of the imperial garrison but to bog it down using guerilla tasctics. Just another wrench wedged in the cogs of the Imperial machine. The speeder was designed to be an improvised peice of equipment salvaged from a wrecked Imperial speeder not a piece of standard issue Rebel equipment. When the idea of a Force unleashed theme was introduced I had to reimagine how my Rebels would fit into this theme. Considering there mission I figured, they could have learned that a Jedi or a small group of Jedi was pinned down or captured by the Imperials and the Genral decides that rescueing some of the few remaining Jedi in the Galaxy takes priority over there current mission.

That's how I imagined the Rebels fitting into this project. But I'll go along with the majority on how the would best fit in.

Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2007, 06:54 PM »
Well, personally I really like look of the Rebels that have been made and like the fact that they have a somewhat uniform look - but there are some differences.  We could just say the Rebels were from Correlia or something and that should cover why they look similar.

Ryan and I have had a few discussions about this, and we are thinking we only want a small group of Rebels in the whole diorama.  This diorama is for an Imperial dominated world that has a firm grip. 

That being said, I started thinking that the Rebels are there for a reason - I don't think we've 100% established this reason yet?  A couple days ago I started working on a small plot line that maybe we could add into the website description and also have laminated and mounted on all sides of the display (at the bottom of it)

The description I was thinking of is something like this -

It is a period of darkness.  The Jedi Order has become all but extinct under the might of the Galactic Empire.

A small band of Correlian Rebels, allied with a group Jedi survivors, have infiltrated the Imperial stronghold JUDDE LULOS.  During the attack, the Rebels have attempted to steal secret plans to a new Imperial super weapon, rumored to be nearing the final stages of construction. 

As the Rebels find themselves surrounded by Imperial Stormtroopers, the Jedi are confronted by the Emperor's apprentice, the dreaded Darth Vader.  It soon becomes clear to the small band of freedom fighters that their efforts to restore liberty to the galaxy have failed....

Of course we could change the words a lot, that's just what I came up with just now.  I think it would be great to have something like to describe what is actually going on in the diorama... make sense?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:05 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2007, 07:37 PM »
Well,

That was a lot to digest.

Yeah, I can get wordy ;)

Oh, and for the record, I think your rebs are beautiful looking Fritz  ;D

Anywho, I just got to thinking about the already established story - the one that (I thought) won the rights to the Official UGP background in the Vote for Planet Story thread.

And I've been trying to keep with in that paradigm. I mean, heck, it's the opening scroll to our web site (to be launched Monday if all goes well). To bring it back & also try to answer your question, Chewie:

Story 9:

Judde Lulos (The Empire's Jewel)...
When Separatists got word of the existence of this world, they secretly provided the native rebels with weapons and training to hopefully overthrow the imperial command center. Doing so would provide a great resource of credits for the growing rebellion against the Empire….

Please understand that all of my concerns are all based on trying to stay true to Glassman's winning story. If that story is no longer the official story, or Glass doesn't care, then I must have missed something and should have read more carefully. And I apologize for rockin' the boat or causing any ill will.   :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 08:01 PM by PenDragon »

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I think Chewie's custom fig of a Jedi is the best ever!!!

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2007, 09:36 PM »
 ;D I agree IT ROCKS!!! 8)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2007, 11:03 PM »
I think we are making a mistake not including more Imperial Customs in this project. Here is a custom I whipped up tonight to prove that Imperial customs can fit well into this project without looking too out of place.

LMK what you think.

UGP Imperial Officer

Here's the Recipe

Fritzkrieg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:18 AM by Fritzkrieg »
Fritzkrieg

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2007, 11:49 PM »
Thanks on the custom Jedi guys, but I have to say that Jedistyle made a Force Unleashed style custom Jedi that is just awesome -

Anyways, Pen - I'm not trying to change the theme of the diorama at all.  There's been a lot of discussions lately that I guess should have been done publically between a few of the designated leaders and we've come to some agreements on a few things, like a limited number of Rebels for example. 

I don't know, I just think it's a lot easier to change a few things here and there and try and be as flexible as we can as we are creating physical pieces to this project.  It's a lot easier to tweak a general idea here and there to accomodate the physical aspect of creating customs, landscape, buildings, walls, etc.  I don't think we're getting away from the theme at all, I just think it is evolving some, and has to in order for us to get this project ready in time.  We have so much to do and need to have all the pieces in Phruby's hands by May 1st.  So going and trying to make more Rebels now when we have some that really seem to fit the bill to me, is a little bit hard - we need to concentrate on buildings and the sort at this point or I'm afraid we'll have a diorama of customs, not really of a "city."

Now if Glassman or anyone wants to try and stay completely true to the original vision, then by all means we should discuss.  But things have evolved quite a bit on this project and I am sure more things are going to change here and there each week moving forward as we realize what is and is not realisitic.  Really, the idea for the theme was almost an entire YEAR ago.  Some small things have changed - we also wanted to have a native species with 4 arms that are miners, but realized later on that we couldn't do that.  Some ideas are fantastic but may not be as practical as we'd like.  I totally understand what you are saying in your points, but I mean we're still doing the planet basically in the same theme, are we not?

Fritz - when you are talking about Imperial custom that look like THAT, I agree 100% with you.  The more stuff like that we have the better - but if we start creating fan fic designs of new troopers and stuff - that's what I think we need to avoid at this point.   That officer looks wonderful and would be a fantastic addition to the project - for sure!

Anyways, I'll jump on here again soon I hope to discuss further, but I am in the process of moving over 2,000 loose figures and vehicles, not to mention 7 giant metal shelving units to the basement this weekend (finally got the carpet put into the basement today, thank God).  I have to get it done and start on the baby room immediately.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2007, 09:21 AM »
...There's been a lot of discussions lately that I guess should have been done publically ...
That would have been cool ;)

And I see your points. Guess I'm being kinda idealistic.

Oh, and also for the record, you're jedi are beautiful. Good luck with the moving & start to your baby room. :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2007, 12:12 PM »
Jesus PenDragon, you're a pain right in the ass.  ;)

I like CHEWIE's description, but I'm in the same boat that feels perhaps we should have 2 Rebel teams attacking. Perhaps a hit and run squad in a hover tank or on swoops, and then the aforementioned 6 elsewhere.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...