Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126040 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 01:34 AM »
Here is my WIP with the smaller scale walls.  I added smaller door that is offset from the main wall.  I also added a little ledge to the window because I felt like it needed something!  I'm much happier with the scale like this.  Thanks Phruby for the suggestion.

With the Ki Adi Mundi figure in the door I think you can get idea of the actual scale.  It think the walls are about 6" tall and the roof another 2-3 inches.

I've got the walls all spackled up and drying tonight.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Brent- awesome!  That scale looks perfect, and good idea with the door frame being over the cut in the wall, so that you can make it any size you want.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2006, 09:57 AM »
That is much better. The scale is more what I had in mind. I like the little detail of the ledge under the window. I definitely think little details like that make houses look lived in and not like office complexes. Remember, houses don't have to look the same. They can be different colors and have different architectural details. They should look lived in and reflect the personality of the occupant. That's not something you see in scifi very offend. That's probably due to budget constraints and the fact that low budget shows are often filmed in office complexes. Lets not make the final diorama look like a set of boring office buildings.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Hope you guys don't mind the incremental WIPs in this thread.  If you want me to update them some where else I can.  In the meantime.  Here is the building with a coat of spackle and first layer of tan paint.  A couple of custom figures are thrown in too boot.

Is anyone else out there working on buildings?  Our assignments are due next Friday!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:13 AM by BrentS »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2006, 02:40 AM »
Hope you guys don't mind the incremental WIPs in this thread.  If you want me to update them some where else I can.  In the meantime.  Here is the building with a coat of spackle and first layer of tan paint.  A couple of custom figures are thrown in too boot.

Not at all Brent. That's exactly what this thread is for, I'm glad someone is doing it. :)

You are off to a great start so far. I like the add-ons you put on the door and the window sill. If I had to make one suggestion on the texture it would be to sand down some of the bigger parts. If you were to translate the building into our scale some of those imperfections (which adobe buildings do have) would be almost the size of a human head. Looking at it I think there are only a few spots that need sanding on the roof, other than that it looks great.

Is anyone else out there working on buildings? Our assignments are due next Friday!

Things have been really hectic for me the last two weeks, I've been doing site stuff here, family stuff, I've spent awhile moving in and getting all situated in the new apartment, and have been getting ready for school. So I'm just getting started tonight unfortunately. :-X

As such I've decided to bump back the deadline until the following Monday, August 28th, in order to give everyone an extra weekend to work on these and finish them up. That being said Monday is going to be the deadline for sure, I'm not going to bump it back any farther, because quite frankly we are starting to run out of time, and September is rapidly approaching, so it can't be bumped back any farther.

"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2006, 11:12 AM »
So far so good Brent! The spackle looks good. What else are you planning for the building? Any outside pipes or details? Any glass for the window? Cloth for the door?

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2006, 01:48 PM »
This is great brentS,  have you tried those SPray texture paints?  You can get them at craft stores.
I think that would make for an easy way to add texture to the buildings.
You could just cover the rough courners with masking tape and spray the entire building.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Glassman - I haven't tried the spray textures.  I should definitley look into that.  Spackleing takes much longer than I would like.  Maybe I'll try that next time.

Phruby - Since I'm going with Ryan's sketch as my inspiration.  I'm going to add a cloth window curtain (open air).  I'll do something similar to the curtain I put in the Gardulla's Palace project.  I'm going to go with a metal door frame (in classic SW style).  I'm also going to add Poles supporting the ceiling over-hangs.  Ryan's drawing said wood, but I'm going to go with a gunmetal gray finish.  I'm planning on using this building as part of my PN project too and I think wood would be hard to come by on Tatooine  ;)  I'm also planning on adding some greebles from my fodder boxes to give it some character.

Ryan - I may try to knock down some of the bigger spackle spots on the roof.  However, I want to avoid having to give it another coat of tan paint. 

I don't anticipate having any more time until the weekend to work on this one.  Hopefully I can come in under the deadline  ;D

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Color me a liar again.  I found some time for a small update before the big weekend finish!

Here is the dwelling with the second coat of darker wash.  I elected to go with a darker tone on the roof than the walls just to try to add some extra character.  There is a picture of the front and the back.

I've also started the construction of some of the metal accents for the building.  There is a metal support piece that I felt like needed to be there to support the overhang.  I will add some "bolts" to this as well and paint it up.  I've also added a "Star Wars Style" door to the entry way.  Both of these additions were created with styrene strips ands sheets.

I think its all starting to come together.  I'm not sure these are my best photos.  I think it looks better in person.

In unrelated other news.  I've been PMing other members of the diorama crew (Clone Commander, Joerhyno, Famine, and Ryan).  They are all working on their assignments.  Hopefully everyone will have something to show by the deadline of Monday Aug 28th;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2006, 09:57 AM »
This house keeps getting better and better. I like the star wars type door. Does it slide open? The coloring also has a great mix of browns. The gutter is also a good idea. Maybe some trim around the window to make it more square?

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2006, 09:30 PM »
Just wondering before I get too deep to change this, but how big are we wanting the adobe houses?  I can cut all my walls down to the sizes we want, so what is good? 
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I would say make it in scale with a normal star wars figure.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2006, 10:28 PM »
But I meant how big.  Like How Deep Really.  Its about a foot wide, so what do you think on depth?  6 inches?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2006, 10:46 PM »
Mine is 14 inches wide and 6.5 inches deep.  The roof overhang is about another 1.5 inches.  Hope that helps.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2006, 10:50 PM »
Thank you!  I'll do something along those lines.