Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126050 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2006, 01:58 AM »
Major Update.

I'm going to call this Building 99% finished.  The pictures reveal there is some touch up painting still to do.  However for all practical purposes, lets say its finished:

The sand base was something from my PNs.  I just wanted to get the floor some context.  I realize the sandbox is too small  :D

and just for fun, with some customs of mine...

Even though its actually Saturday morning, I'm going to say I hit the original deadline of Aug 25  :D

Any comments, criticisms, questions, etc, etc, let me know.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2006, 02:15 AM »
AWESOME sample Brent. That turned out looking much better than my concept. I really like the add ons around the door and windows. I prefer the durasteel supports over wood too, It really helps to add some SW-ish feel, without making it look too technologicaly advanced. Nice work on hitting the original deadline BTW. ;)

But I meant how big. Like How Deep Really. Its about a foot wide, so what do you think on depth? 6 inches?

For this sample it really is up to you. Mine is a smaller building, it is 6" x 9" x 6". Really as long as it is 1:18 scale the dimensions are up to you.
"This is the way."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2006, 10:24 AM »
OMG. Brent- that looks fantastic!  The door and little details are wonderful!  This needs to be in the UGP, and not just a concept!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2006, 04:22 PM »
OMG. Brent- that looks fantastic! The door and little details are wonderful! This needs to be in the UGP, and not just a concept!

At this point, I think most of the samples will. Brent's will certaily look great in it. :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 04:23 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline starkid500

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2006, 08:00 PM »
cool! heres a thought add chairs outside and put a bed  inside.
Edit by AngryEwok - Don't put images in your signature.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2006, 10:35 PM »
add chairs outside

You can certainly put my relaxing spacer on the porch if you want!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline starkid500

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2006, 12:10 AM »
add chairs outside

You can certainly put my relaxing spacer on the porch if you want!

yeah he can great idea

Edit by AngryEwok - Don't put images in your signature.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2006, 06:27 AM »
Just a reminder to the dio team: The final deadline for these samples is Tomorrow (Monday) at 11:59 PM Mountain time, since I'm Mountain. Please do whatever you can to get them done.

I've made a bunch of progress on mine today. I got all the walls up and glued together, covered up all the corners so no foam is showing, textured it, and applied the base coat of paint. All that really leaves me to do is finish up that paint job, add on a few greeblies, finish the last few details on the roof, paint the roof, and glue it on. Baring some sort of emergency this will be done in time.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 06:28 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Same With Me.  I have all the walls textured, so I just need to paint, add details, and finish up the roof.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2006, 07:15 PM »
Well, I'm trying, but not being able to paint cause this horible weather we had all day really sucks.
I do have to say, I'm really lovin' my tower... I think the next one I make will have an interior, with a nice couch.. desk with a picture of Mrs. Moff and Moff Jr. lol...
Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2006, 10:24 PM »
I ran out of plaster, so I couldn't finish the roof.  As soon as I get some more, I'll finish it off, as well as add a few more metalic touches to the house.  I'm really not sure how I did on this one, I'm not as happy with it as I thought I'd be, so some suggestions and crituques would be appreciated.

And for fun, a Stormie Raid.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2006, 11:49 PM »
Paprika is good for iron rich soil. I used it in me dio for Endor.
You can also use terrarium sand from the pet store. it comes in different colors I used it for Geonosis

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2006, 04:02 AM »
I'll go ahead and explain what exactly it is you are looking at. When I assigned this project I said something simple would be just fine. I wanted to avoid any windows so I could skip making an interior. In order to do that I had to think of a building that wouldn't have any need for windows, so I elected to make some sort of water pump house/power generator building. I did a quick google image search to get some reference. From the shots I saw most were all very simple and had no windows and a fairly simple design.

The tank on the side is supposed to be some sort of coolant or gas that the generator inside would use. The little panels are supposed to be some of the internal workings. The gizmo in the ottom right of the front side is some sort of Water/Electrical line, with a little meter so the techs can take readings of it from the outside. The door unfortunately doesn't open. I cut the doorwar in the outer layer of foamcore and then scored the inside along the seam of the door, to give the illusion it was a working door but it was just closed. As for the doorway on the back, you may have noticed it was sealed off. I didn't want to have a flat wall back there, but at the same time I didn't want a second door, so I added a doorway that just appears to be sealed off, as if the is equipment behind it. The roof is supposed to simulate sheets of steel. I used poster board, and then I scored the foamcore, like I did with the door.

The texture of concrete was achieved with a spray on drywall spackling, and then knocked down with a putty kinfe. And then sanded down a little to get it closer to scale. There are a few different layers of color, and the pictures don't really show the waethering too well, but I did elect to go a little light on it.

Let me know what you guys think. :)

CC1- Your's is looking pretty good. I really like how the texure and paint turned out. That's exactly what I was hopong for when I assigned that style to you. The canvas curtains and awning look great. I'm not sure that I like the walls being in four seperate pieces, it doesn't seem like there is any practical reason for it so it just looks kind of goofy. Keep us apprised of the roof, and post it as soon as you can. Thanks for at least posting what you have.

Joe and Kevin you guys have any progrss pictures at least?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:38 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2006, 02:58 PM »
I'll snap some pics tonight, I'll try to do wha I can, I tried adding another coat, but then it started sprinkling outside, so not I think my tower is shot, unless you like small little bubbles everywhere, lol...
I think the one thing I can eake from this is we shouldn't use foamcore for imp buildings, usless you're a master at covering the edges(which I'm not) :'(
Anyway, I'll do as much as I can and then post some pics tonight, if anything, we can use mine as a DO NOT DO THIS, kinda thing, lol.

Ryan, I love the look yours has, not too primitive, not too modern, looks like it was plucked right out of a SW world...

CC1, I like yours too, the only suggestion I'd make is to connect the parts before you do the spackling/plastering... I really like the look of the texture and well, over all look, I think that if it looked like one solid building, that it'd fall right into some semi-primitive town/settlement.

Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2006, 07:00 PM »
CC!

Remember the Alamo!!!!!

I like it
 I find that paper towel soaked in paint is good for making fabric. At that scale can look like leather or canvas.