Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126524 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #90 on: September 9, 2006, 06:09 AM »
Alright guys I know you are anxious to get started on the next set of samples. This time around we are all going to be making the wilderness terrain samples. This is going to be a little less structured than the last time in terms of the specifics I'll be assigning. Just so were are clear on this now these samples WILL NOT be used in the final project, they are just so we can begin to get some direction as to what we want this to look like.

So what I want everyone to do is make their own sample using whatever materials you want, just remember that it may need to be replicated on a large scale so try and avoid anything that is incredibly time consuming or expensive. That being said, don't go skimping on this either, we want to make it look as good as we can get it.

There are a few requirements for these samples, most of which will make much more sense when they are applied to the final project. The first thing that needs to be the same on everyone's sample is the base. What I want is for everyone to use a foamcore box that is 1.5" tall. This is just practice for the final product. When it is assembled we want a very sturdy base with an even height. The box also allows for the use of negative terrain. Be sure to support the box very well on the inside. Wood would have been ideal to use as a base, because it is quite sturdy, but it is way too heavy to ship. Foamcore bases will give us strength without much weight. Once you have a box built feel free to do whatever you want on top. Negative terrain is alright as long as it isn't any deeper that 1". So if you want to put a pond in the middle feel free to cut into the base and build it in.

The other requirement is the size, I'm not going to limit how big these can be, I'll leave that up to you guys, but remember they need to done by the deadline. But I am going to put a minimum size on these to insure that we have samples that are big enough to see. The smallest I want to see is 6" x 6" x 1.5" tall. That shouldn't be too hard.

Again feel free to put whatever you want on top. Remember we are going for a Dantooine type look, so try and incorporate that in if possible. This isn't going to be a sand planet so I don't want to see any samples that look like Tatooine. They aren't required but try and get some sort of tree, bush, boulder, shrubbery, or other plant life in there. What that combination is, is completely up to you guys.

Looking at the Dio-team roster I expect samples from the following people:

• Myself
  • BrentS
  • Daigo-Bah
  • CloneCommander1
  • Joerhyno
  • patreektherodian
  • Famine

Anyone not on that list is also welcome to make a sample.

The deadline for these is going to be October 9th. That is a bit later than I would have liked to set it but I don’t think 3 weeks will be enough time judging by the last time. That date may change in the next few days though so keep watching the thread here. If anything it will be moved closer to the beginning of October or the end of September. It WILL NOT be delayed anymore, so don’t expect an extension.

Let's get crackin! :)
"This is the way."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: UGP - Diorama Construction/Design Updated 9/8 With New Assignments
« Reply #91 on: September 9, 2006, 10:06 AM »
Sounds great, Ryan.  I'd like to suggest to everyone the use of "instant papier mache'" for ground terrain.  It works wonderfully; I used it in an Endor dio I made and the texture of the ground was perfect.  It's sold at most hobby shops in a medium tub, and looks like chopped up thick paper.  You crumble some of it into a mixing container, and pour in water to get a paste-like consistency.  Paint it onto your surface, and when dry looks like ground.  You can then paint it any color.  It doesn't look like the wet newspaper projects you did in grade school, I promise!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2006, 03:40 AM »
Don't know if this fits in the what Ryan is wanting, but I want to get some input before I continue and finish this plant. My idea was for it to be like a strawberry plant with runners to spread. If you every grown strawberries you know what I mean. Also this versatile in the sense that it can be a plant or tree.

Size of it is about waist high on a Stormtrooper. If you want I can snap a shot with a figure for size. Also I have some other ideas for trees and plants, which I should have pictures for everyone to see in a week or two. What do you guys think?
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2006, 04:35 AM »
 :-X

I looked at that 'detail' in the center there, between the mini chocolate chip looking items, and a strawberry type plant certainly wasn't the fist thing that came to mind.

I think if you rework the plant's special area a bit there so it looks a little less like a human body part and add some more texture and a nice paint app, and that could turn out to be a very nice looking bush shrub.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 04:37 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2006, 01:39 PM »
I actually like roron's plant. It's very unusual looking and has a kind of Audrey II feel to it. What if the top part opened up and could be the home to some kind of animal? I like the idea of a 'strawberry patch' with runners to each of these plants. These vinyards could the be home to some of our native animals. I could see a whole area of these with maybe somekind of flytrap-like creature in the middle of them eating a stormtrooper.

Patreektherodian that sculpture is not funny. Please don't do that again.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2006, 04:25 PM »
You know what, the more I look at Roron's plant the more I like it. I'm sure with some paint and some added foliage around it that would look pretty nice, kind of Felucia-ish.

Patreek that was pretty disgusting.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2006, 06:08 PM »
i.m sorry I won't do anything like that again. I would have never noticed the unique feature.  I Think Roron's plant was awesome an nothing should be changed. I was just goin for a cheap laugh.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2006, 08:09 PM »
Time to move out of the gutter with the minds ::).

Anyway, I'm going to rework it a bit. Need to add detail anyway, but just wanted to get everyones take on it before I put too much time into it. I came up with some different ideas for it sense last night also. I'll make up three to show the strawberry idea and the new changes and post some pictures when done.

What do you guys think for colors? I was thinking greenish yellow with red or purple highlights with greenish brown leaves. Let me know what you have in mind.

I also have some trees to show soon also. Thanks again for the help guys.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2006, 09:17 PM »
I have removed the image of the peculiar mushrooms. Sorry once again. I did'nt think it would raise a ruccus.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2006, 09:20 PM »
I realise now that it might not impress potential sponcors.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2006, 10:32 PM »
Personally I have no problem with it at all, I think it looks just fine as it is.I probably wouldn't have even notices the " unique feature" had someone not pointed it out. I say paint it and lets see what it looks like from there.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2006, 11:05 PM »
I meant MY image (joke) would not impress sponsors. Nuff said let's go with Roron's

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2006, 12:14 AM »
Here is another plant. Like the first, but smaller and more like a cactus with added detail to the leaves.

This one is easier to make too. I might even use silk foliage for the leaves even, would save time on making them also. I just ran out of time to make the other two to show the strawbarry idea, but I hope to be able to show that tomorrow. Let me know what you think.
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2006, 12:21 AM »
Very nice roron. I like this one a lot. Like the first one I think it needs some more detailing ut you are off to a great start. Maybe you could add some more veins and some sort or rigdes or cell structure to the leaves? I see you have some on there, but I think it couls till use some more.

I prefer what you have there to silk leaves, because most silk leaves look too fake. If you think you can make it look good by all means make a version with silk though.
"This is the way."