Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126490 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: UGP - Diorama Construction/Design Updated 9/8 With New Assignments
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Wow, your portion is gonna be huge!  By the way, remember that Ryan's instruction on these is that they won't be used in the final dio, but are just tests for final look.  So at this stage people can really combine any elements they want without worrying about clashing.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Ya no prob but I wanted to get a canyion/plateau look. like i said i did not follow the rules but just wanted to see what others would think. this portion was done in 1 hour.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2006, 12:47 PM »
Keep in mind that not all of us can incorporate a special scene like Brent's or Daigo-Bah's- if we do, the landscape would look too overcrowded. Some of us should just focus on making a plain landscape box with a few shrubs or something.

Just a thought.

DN,
I think that is a very good and very important point!
Thanks Brent, but Daigo-Bah's right too- I guess now we're just seeing what they could look like and when we really get started on final production we'll have to worry about overcrowding and clashing.  :)
  By the way, remember that Ryan's instruction on these is that they won't be used in the final dio, but are just tests for final look.  So at this stage people can really combine any elements they want without worrying about clashing.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2006, 02:36 PM »
still confused

just tell me where to go from here

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2006, 04:40 PM »
still confused

just tell me where to go from here

No, it looks great!  I was actually responding to DN about being too overcrowded with stuff on each scene- you should definitely keep it in the direction you're going.  The only thing you'll have to do to meet any rule is raise your base up an inch and a half with a foamcore edge.  I made some progress on mine today, and should be done next weekend.
Greg Reeves

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I believe it's on a base already That first layer of blue styrofoam is two inches. does that qualify?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Patreek - looks like a good start.  I've heard of using this technique for making rock faces.  I'm looking forward to seeing this one play out.  As far as the base goes.  Ryan asked that we build all of these on a 1.5" tall foamcore box. 

Daigobah - looking forward to seeing what will likely be an awesome entry!  I'm going to add the base to mine next.  I want to add a bit of a back wall and a floor entrance.   Since I'm going to the effort of making this cave, I want to be able to use it for my own purposes too.  I'm hoping to make two bases for it - one for Tatooine (my photonovel) and one for UGP.

DN - I still think your point is valid - we should have someone make a "plain" area so that we can start to visualize that as well

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2006, 03:26 PM »
I think Ryan's mention of the 1.5" tall foamcore was meant so that if we wanted, we could make a "negative" surface area, like a small dip in the ground, or a stream of some sorts... I personally am not gonna use foam core either, I have some foam that's roughly 1.5" and plan on using that as my base... that way I can carve into if needed and build it up too.

Anyway... I'm liking the look of yours so far P, maybe take a couple "chunks" out of your base so it's not too level and looks more realistic for innards of the canyon...

I like the construction foam.. if I'm correct, that's how they made geonosis arena(well, I'm sure Lucas didn't raid any construction sites), they basically had these huge blocks of foam, and carved their arena out of it.

Diagobah, I'm liking your cave so far, it looks totally different from the first pic, to the mached and covered one, good job on that... as for painting.. the best thing I could suggest it to find your base coat you want to use.. then seperate into different parts.. one for the base, then another part where you'll lighten it with for highlights.. and a third part where you darken it and water it down...
Lay your base coat... then take the watered down "darker" color.. and lay it on letting it get into the cracks, and after a min or so, wipe away the excess... then finally, go over some raised areas with the "lighter" color dry brushing, try to start out as light as you can.. you dont want too drastic of a change in color..

I'd also recommend going to a hobby store and getting some lichen or other mossy looking material.. and put it in some corners.. maybe even getting some watered down grey/brown/green mixed colors and paint them in some of the areas where water would sit.. where you'd have some mold growing/staining the cave...

Hope that helps... I should have some WIPS up of my section this week, I'm going with a hill and a path that leads to a cliff, nothing too big.. it's gonna be roughly 12" x 12" might get a little bigger with the cliff on one side.
Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Joe, you're probably referring to BrentS's cave- I haven't put pics up yet, but I hope to finish mine by this weekend.  I forget who all is doing which thing too!
Greg Reeves

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback every body!

As for the canyon, I got a sweet yet simple surprise coming this week end.

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2006, 10:31 AM »
oops, yeah..that' swho I meant  :-[
Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2006, 08:32 PM »
Ok guys, my entry is done.  I decided to make a 'ruins' in the woods type scene, and with the instructions of 6" by 6" by 1.5" I opted for an 8 inch by 8 inch platform.  The structure is styrofoam coated in plaster of paris, given a wash and a drybrush.  The ground is instant papier mache' (which took 4 days to dry!) and the logs on the ground are real twigs.  The standing tree is fake, and the moss is decorative moss hot-glued to the ground or logs.  Hope you guys like it!

Greg Reeves

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 1, 2006, 10:31 AM »
A few indoor pics:

Greg Reeves

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 1, 2006, 11:38 AM »
Daigo-Bah, that's a work of beauty.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 1, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Patreek is stunned speechless!