Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126480 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2007, 11:28 PM »
Update - bought the wood for the remaining part of the back wall.  By next week I will have 6 feet, 10 inches of wall that consists of 4 pieces.

Section 1 - 8 inches tall, 4.25 inches wide, 24 inches long, and has 6 sides (top, bottom, front side, back side, left side, right side)

Section 2 - 8 inches tall, 4.25 inches wide, 22 inches long, and has 6 sides (top, bottom, front side, back side, left side, right side)

Section 3 - 8 inches tall, 4.25 inches wide, 18 inches long, and has 6 sides (top, bottom, front side, back side, left side, right side)

Section 4 - 8 inches tall, 4.25 inches wide, 18 inches long, and has 6 sides (top, bottom, front side, back side, left side, right side)

Each one after assembled will be sanded down by me, caulked to fill any gaps, and then sanded down again.  I will then pack them up and send to Phruby and it looks like these will be painted/detailed by him or on site if needed.

:P

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2007, 11:41 PM »
Quick question for you guys. I don't know if I'll have time to make anything, but I can always try or send the item I have in mind to someone with time. Anyway before I loose people, is there going to be a town square or something like that? If so, Chewie said something about fountains and dio accessories around the city, so I thought of this Dagobah globe I have would make a cool center piece for a town square. Maybe in turn it into a fountian. If anyone likes the idea let me know. Also what would be the colors of the planet from space, or would you think a stone color sculpture would look better? If I find some time to work on this, I see what I can come up with. When will you guys need it if you like the idea? If I don't have time would someone want to take this on? If the idea is liked. Just shoot me a pm or e-mail me waht you guys think. Thanks
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Lets see a picture of the globe first :P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 29, 2007, 10:14 AM »
I think it sounds like a good idea.  I'd sugest a stone sculpture look.  I think we are going to need all the buildings we can get.  So if you can make it, please do.  Post pictures and then the project leaders can decide how and if to include it.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Lets see a picture of the globe first :P

Smarty,
It's the POTF2 complete galaxy of Dagobah. So I believe you have seen them before. I was thinking of removeing the henges and filling in the gaps so it won't open anymore. Would give it the bast look to be a sculpture.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Oh - so it would be a sculpture of the planet then?  That's a pretty creative idea actually...

The only downside I see is the darn hinge on it... is there a way to dremel/sand it off, and sculpt over the sanded down area?  If it didn't look right, it could always be rotated on the base and put that section on the bottom.  Also it says "Dagobah" on the front of it... so I think that a custom made pedestal would be necessary...

The other option is a sculpture of something, like a tribute to Palpatine... it would be really, really cool I think.

You know another idea would be to get a few POTF2 "salt shaker" Royal Guards, and paint them gray... really making them look like stone... I might do that, and see what you guys think.  Sounds like a fun little side project.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2007, 12:54 PM »

The only downside I see is the darn hinge on it... is there a way to dremel/sand it off, and sculpt over the sanded down area?  If it didn't look right, it could always be rotated on the base and put that section on the bottom.  Also it says "Dagobah" on the front of it... so I think that a custom made pedestal would be necessary...

I think you could hide that with a bit of modeling putty.  I like the idea of a statue like that.

The other option is a sculpture of something, like a tribute to Palpatine... it would be really, really cool I think.

You know another idea would be to get a few POTF2 "salt shaker" Royal Guards, and paint them gray... really making them look like stone... I might do that, and see what you guys think.  Sounds like a fun little side project.

Those sound cool.  You could also use a POTF Emperor as a Statue and do something very similar.  That would look really cool!

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2007, 03:48 PM »
I was planing on removing the henge and filling in the line around it so it looks whole over the two halves. The stand or something like that, I was thinking of maybe three poles and have it elevated. I could even work in the Royal Guard idea, with moving the planet up higher and placing the like three of the Guards on the three sides towards underneath the planet? I don't have any of those POTF2 Guards any more, but I'll see if I can get a picture of what I mean tonight.

Also, I'll work on the filling and henge tonight also, but I don't know how much time I can spare. If I start it would someone be willing to finish if I can't? Thanks
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2007, 06:56 PM »
Okay, here is what I had in mind with Chewie suggestion. Rought picture, but it gets the point across.

If you don't like the Royal Guard idea, the globe can be lowered. Maybe if someone wants to build a round or so base of steps to set it on, that would bring it out more.

I had another idea if the Royal Guard don't work is maybe add some Stormtrooper helmets (casts or whatever) to each of the poles, like a Empire trophy or something like that. If the fountain idea comes back to play maybe have the water come down out of the bottom of the planet? Using the railroad water making stuff, not sure how to use that stuff. If this sounds cool, maybe someone could make it using a clear straw or tube of some sort and coat it. Then it could be cut to fit the finish piece. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm going to find some time for the henge and gap tonight. Thanks
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2007, 07:54 PM »
Okay, here is what I had in mind with Chewie suggestion. Rought picture, but it gets the point across.

If you don't like the Royal Guard idea, the globe can be lowered. Maybe if someone wants to build a round or so base of steps to set it on, that would bring it out more.

I had another idea if the Royal Guard don't work is maybe add some Stormtrooper helmets (casts or whatever) to each of the poles, like a Empire trophy or something like that. If the fountain idea comes back to play maybe have the water come down out of the bottom of the planet? Using the railroad water making stuff, not sure how to use that stuff. If this sounds cool, maybe someone could make it using a clear straw or tube of some sort and coat it. Then it could be cut to fit the finish piece. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm going to find some time for the henge and gap tonight. Thanks
roron corobb

Concept is pretty cool... I might suggest holding off a couple days to see what everyone else thinks.  I really like the idea of the planet for sure.  As for something holding it up, if you can get any, wooden dowels in the arts/crafts section at Walmart are super cheap and might look better -

There is also the chance that something like a "base" to it might work as well... such as some sort of pedestal...

Not that a Greek pedestal is what I am really thinking of, just as an example.

For the Royal Guards... if you want to hold off for a bit, I think I have some POTF2 ones somewhere...

While I never liked the figure much, I think it's the perfect look for a statue because of how the robes are sculpted... I would like to try and experiment with a couple of them...

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2007, 08:17 PM »
The dowels were my plan. The pencils were just for muck up as were the Royal Guards. Why I came up with the three poles to hold it was that there are two holes already there and I added the third for the picture.

The pedestal would work too, but it would kill the idea of the fountain in the center underneath the planet. If anything I'm only going to work on the henge and gap, then wait to see if everyone else has to think. Thanks
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2007, 09:16 PM »
You could always, and this is just a different take on the same idea, get an acrylic plastic (clear plastic) ball from the craft store, paint it up like a "holographic projection" or something too...  I didn't read everyone's thoughts, I just saw the basic gist of the idea and posted a different take on it... 

Deco it up with some glass paint (translucent) to make it holography and it's a possible alternative if you guys wanted to go that route.  Save all the sanding/puttying of the hinge issue too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2007, 12:52 AM »
I think I could put together a round pedestal base using the pink foam insulation (I've got a hot wire cutter).  If you want me to try something like this, let me know.  You may need to the first part to me and have me finish it up?!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2007, 01:34 AM »
While I never liked the figure much, I think it's the perfect look for a statue because of how the robes are sculpted... I would like to try and experiment with a couple of them...

Here's an idea for those as statues too CHEWIE, spray them with that textured granite spraypaint...  Might be an easy way to make them look like statues.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2007, 01:39 AM »
Good suggstion Jesse, I was kind of thinking I'd prime these gray, them spray them just a bit, - then repaint some more and add just a very very slight amount of weathering to them.

What would be cool is to have these at the doorway of a building or something.

Roron, what you're suggesting sounds great... if you want to start on the globe, and let BrentS finish it, that's appreciated (any help you do is, including back when we were in the concept phase, you were a GREAT help so it's nice to see you involved again).