Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126451 times)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #300 on: April 1, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Its funny sarge, I had that same idea yesterday but couldnt find where i his my palpy.  I'm glad you thought of it too.
Grreat minds!!!!

Ryan, i'll whip up a few buildings/markets for ya.  I have been hesitant to say what figures i will contribute, but i got some ideas floating around in my head for some citizens.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #301 on: April 1, 2007, 10:20 PM »
Its funny sarge, I had that same idea yesterday but couldnt find where i his my palpy.  I'm glad you thought of it too.
Grreat minds!!!!

Ryan, i'll whip up a few buildings/markets for ya.  I have been hesitant to say what figures i will contribute, but i got some ideas floating around in my head for some citizens.

Sounds good. :)

Still mulling around what kind of base to put this on. The base of the model is an oval shape. Ryan, I think I can make something that is substantial for Palp's ego and should have a footprint of around 6in X 7in. My question on this is: how tall to make the base for the statue?

Next issue: Texture for the statue. In the pic I display what I have available to me. The most recognizable is the spray texture. My feelings on that are it might go on too thick and I will lose the detail on the face and such. Another option is the Patio Paints Texture. I can pick up a bottle at Michaels this week. My plan is to use a Xizor AMT model I have in my fodder bin to test both type and see how it looks. My plan is to have this done by Wednesday, 4 April.

Next question: What color do we want the statue to be, as in, grey, brick, black stone, etc?

A 6"-7" diameter base sounds good to me. As for the base height go with whatever you feel is appropriate. I think a 4" tall base would be cool, that way most figures are right at the Emperor's feet, metaphorically and physically.

I was thinking that grey stone would look good, both for the base (at least parts of it) and the statue would look good. You can pick the shade you want. I think it'd be cool to try and make the base and the statue look like it was carved from one piece of big stone. I'd fill in the gaps at the bottom of the robes with some sort of putty so there aren't any gaps between the statue and the base.

Go ahead and test those two paints and pick whichever one you think works better without washing out too much detail.
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 2, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Sorry to be absent over this weekend - looks like a lot of good stuff has come up!

Brent - For now if you could crank out a few more big trees, I really liked where those other ones were headed, that'd be fantastic. Hopefully around 8-10 for the whole dio. If you need the time to spend on buildings let me know and I can do a few trees. Other than that, if you would still be interested in making the open air cantina let me know. If it helps in your thought process I was thinking it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 14" x 18". I'll give you some freedom to make that a little bigger or smaller as you see fit, just don't exceed 24" in either direction. Looking back I think we should be able to include your building sample into the diorama with some minor modifications. If you could just sand down some of the bigger adobe spots so it looks more like concrete and less like adobe and then repaint it grey, that'd be fantastic. If you don't want to do the cantina, you can make a standard building instead. And you can do both of course. I'd like a market stall as well if you have time.

Trees - I'll commit to at least 6 for sure.  I'm afraind I'll get burnt out on trees if I try to commit to making many more than that.  Keep in mind the trees are probably going to be around 8" in diameter (around the canopy).  I'm not sure how many you'll be able to fit onto the display.

Buildings - I'm planning on making at least 6 buildings that are roughly 6 x 8 inches.  I expect these to be sort of low cost housing buildings.  I think I should be able to make these relatively easily so I'd like to commit to making several.   I should be able to make one larger building also.  All of my buildings are going to use the textured/flocked spray paint.  I'll post one finished before diving into all of them.

Cantina - I've got some plans for a cantina drawn up. The dimensions are consistent with what you suggested.  I'll do everything I can to pull this off but its the one piece I can't 100% commit too.  I think I can do it, if I don't get to elaborate.  I'll be able to give you a firm commitment after this coming weekend (seeing the progress I make on the trees and buildings).

Market Stall - I've actually already started a Stall for another Diorama project.  I'll see if I can modify it and use it.  If not, this will probably be the last thing I make. 

My Existing Building - I think I'm not going to include it.  I've already got some plans/needs for it in my PN story (which hasn't been completely abandoned).  I don't think its worth the efforts to go and get it sanded and repainted.  I'd rather concentrate on newer, better buildings.

How does that sound?

« Last Edit: April 2, 2007, 10:21 AM by BrentS »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 2, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Ok, here is the promised pic from me showing the AMT Palpatine model / statue. This pic gives you scale of the model.

I love this idea.... I'm wondering, would it be worth considering having a group of imperial-type construction workers actually working to assemble the statue.  Given that this is still early in the Emperor's reign, perhaps not all colonies have their statues completely in place??

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #304 on: April 2, 2007, 03:05 PM »
Trees - I'll commit to at least 6 for sure.  I'm afraind I'll get burnt out on trees if I try to commit to making many more than that.  Keep in mind the trees are probably going to be around 8" in diameter (around the canopy).  I'm not sure how many you'll be able to fit onto the display.

8" eh? Didn't realize they were that big. I think we should be good with at least 6 then. Perhaps I'll make 2 or 3 shorter and skinny ones for more variety then.

Buildings - I'm planning on making at least 6 buildings that are roughly 6 x 8 inches.  I expect these to be sort of low cost housing buildings.  I think I should be able to make these relatively easily so I'd like to commit to making several.   I should be able to make one larger building also.  All of my buildings are going to use the textured/flocked spray paint.  I'll post one finished before diving into all of them.

Wow. There goes a lot of my worries about not having enough buildings. That'll be fantastic to see that many from you. Like I was saying just be sure to shoot me some dimensions, especially for the larger one, at some point so I can put together that layout. I'm looking forward to these. :)

Cantina - I've got some plans for a cantina drawn up. The dimensions are consistent with what you suggested.  I'll do everything I can to pull this off but its the one piece I can't 100% commit too.  I think I can do it, if I don't get to elaborate.  I'll be able to give you a firm commitment after this coming weekend (seeing the progress I make on the trees and buildings).

Alright. I decided to give you this one since you requested it, also because I didn't plan on giving you other buildings. If you do get to all 6 of them I think we will be ok without it. Just let me know sometime after this weekend and we can adjust the layout accordingly.

Market Stall - I've actually already started a Stall for another Diorama project.  I'll see if I can modify it and use it.  If not, this will probably be the last thing I make. 

Works for me. I think if everyone else does their's we should have enough, so if you don't get to it, it is no big deal really. It'd still be nice to have, but it won't be a huge loss without it.

My Existing Building - I think I'm not going to include it.  I've already got some plans/needs for it in my PN story (which hasn't been completely abandoned).  I don't think its worth the efforts to go and get it sanded and repainted.  I'd rather concentrate on newer, better buildings.

Fine with me. I just thought it would save you some time, as well as giving us another building when I thought we would be short, but I didn't realize you'd be down for so many standards. So you can feel free to leave this one out.

I love this idea.... I'm wondering, would it be worth considering having a group of imperial-type construction workers actually working to assemble the statue.  Given that this is still early in the Emperor's reign, perhaps not all colonies have their statues completely in place??

Hmmmm... that could be kind of cool too. What were you thinking of exactly? A few workers raising it with a rope or carving it by hand or with some sort of laser? Either way I think it should look great. we need to discuss whether we want it done or being worked on at some point soon here.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2007, 04:30 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 2, 2007, 04:13 PM »
That statue is going to look great. Too bad we can't have a really working fountain around it with black water. I could dream.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #306 on: April 2, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Well, my priority focus is getting the Globe base made for Roron. I plan on shipping it to him on Monday, 9 April, so he can finalize his project and get it shipped out on time.

Palp statue: I would prefer to have a complete statue as opposed to having it in the construction phase. My belief is that if our era has a rebellion growing then Palp has solidified his hold over the area. But, I am a flexible man, so let me know.

On the statue, I am going with a 4 inch base so the overall height will be 15 inches. I'll blend the model into the base; route out the top layer so the model sinks in a couple of millimeters, green stuff or milliput the base edge so it looks like it is all one piece. I plan on shooting the base with the fleckstone spray to give it a rough texture, then paint the overall statue with the craft bottle paint to bring it all together. Will post pics when I get cranking on it.

« Last Edit: April 2, 2007, 07:45 PM by Sarge »
"A great warrior, you say? Wars do not make one great." Master Yoda, TESB

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #307 on: April 2, 2007, 07:57 PM »
Palp statue: I would prefer to have a complete statue as opposed to having it in the construction phase. My belief is that if our era has a rebellion growing then Palp has solidified his hold over the area. But, I am a flexible man, so let me know.

Complete statue it is then.  :)

You building technique sounds solid. And having Roron's base you first priority is also great. Keep it up Mike.  :)
"This is the way."

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #308 on: April 2, 2007, 09:42 PM »
Yeah, and then I hashed this out with a couple of people and am being swayed to a statue in progress idea. So let it sit with me a few days and I'll post some pics with both looks. The more I think about this coming from a solid block of granite, the more the idea seems kewl, maybe with some enslaved Wookiees (which I will provide) pounding this out of a large stone. I'll kick something out by Thursday and see what we think.

The official flip-flopper,

Mike

"A great warrior, you say? Wars do not make one great." Master Yoda, TESB

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #309 on: April 3, 2007, 06:01 AM »
Here's a little spectrum I made for what we want to shoot for as far as the base coat goes on the standard buildings:

Really kind of shoot for a little left of center there somewhere, but a little lighter or darker should probably be ok.
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 3, 2007, 09:42 AM »
That spectrum should be very helpful.  My spray/flocked textured paint may be a bit dark.  However, I think I can dry brush on top of it and lighten it up.

Incidently, I built the cores for 2 more trees last night.  I'll get two more done tonight and then get them all plastered this weekend.  Hopefully I can have two finished trees by the end of the weekend and 4 more trees ready to be painted.  I also hope to have one "test" building to show before I dive in and make the other 5-6.

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 3, 2007, 02:42 PM »
Yeah, and then I hashed this out with a couple of people and am being swayed to a statue in progress idea. So let it sit with me a few days and I'll post some pics with both looks. The more I think about this coming from a solid block of granite, the more the idea seems kewl, maybe with some enslaved Wookiees (which I will provide) pounding this out of a large stone.

I think the in process statue is a great idea. Any figures actually doing something rather than randomly milling about will make for much more interesting viewing for attendees.

Since it's an Imperial construction, this could be a great place for those awesome Imp Officers that Fritz made. They could be overseeing the Wookie prisoners during construction. Just a suggestion of course.

E>

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 3, 2007, 02:54 PM »
That's a good idea. I'll have to remember to setup that little scene.

By the way, the web site looks great. Great work elmeaux!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 3, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Wow, the Palpatine statue looks FANTASTIC!!!   :o

:P

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 3, 2007, 08:46 PM »
Just a couple building concepts; I'm trying to think of a few different designs:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke