Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126465 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #330 on: April 5, 2007, 05:12 PM »
I like to use hot clue to bind foam together. I also use drywall compound to make it uniform espesially the dome.  Once dry, reactivate it with wet hands play around and experiment (dry/wet dry/wet afew times) tap areas with one or two fingers to make it a pucked textured area. Use a hair dryer to speed up the process. Paint with latex or acrilic then dry brush with other shades.

This is very similar to what I'd suggest as well.

Could we use a small power plant? I have something that might come together quickly that would fit the bill. Round and about 8" diameter / 6" tall. I'll probably put it together for myself anyway but...

I think we can use any and all building types.  If you are so inclined, I say build it and hopefully we can use it!
« Last Edit: April 5, 2007, 05:16 PM by BrentS »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 5, 2007, 11:24 PM »
Feedback was all positive so far so I took a leap of faith and did some work on the buildings.  Here's a shot of all 6 in their rough form.  I still need to add the domes to many of them.

Each one is slightly unique but based on the same basic features.  4" wide main structure with sloped edges.  All will feature a single door on one face.  I hope to add several bits of various technology. 

Comments or suggestions, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2007, 11:26 PM by BrentS »

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 5, 2007, 11:32 PM »
Brent, those look GREAT!  Well done!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 5, 2007, 11:45 PM »
Dude, those are snappy. Make sure you avoid the strange seams, and you'll be stellar. Fantastic designs. Let me know if/when you get your figure.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #334 on: April 6, 2007, 02:34 AM »
Looking great so far Brent! Like Famine was saying cover up those seams a wee bit aznd they will be great. And just out of curiosity how big is that table there, 3' x 5' maybe?

As for the trees... Would you mind trying to make maybe two more? I was thinking that we can try have about two for each 2' x 2' section of terrain. If you don't want to that's fine too. Let me know either way.

I see Brent has a Cantina, so another question. Could we use a small power plant? I have something that might come together quickly that would fit the bill. Round and about 8" diameter / 6" tall. I'll probably put it together for myself anyway but...

That should be ok. Just follow the building guidlines and be sure to let me know in the next few days if you are actually comitting to this, so I can keep track of it.

I don't know if this would be overkill, but I have a ton of Palpatine holofigures (I'm sure everyone else does too, lol) that could be painted for small statues that could be peppered throughout the city. When you cut off his saber it doesn't look half bad.

As for that.. Maybe if you want to paint up a few extras if you have time that'd be fine. Personally I think it will be overkill. But if you want to, make them so we will have them in case we change our minds on-site and decide to use them afterall.

Now, here's some accessories he's made recently that I would love if we could try and emulate in some capacity -

I've got a few cargo crates made from pudding cups I was planning on sending. They should work for the motor pool, or the more industrial looking area near the big building Justin is sending.
"This is the way."

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 6, 2007, 09:05 AM »
As for that.. Maybe if you want to paint up a few extras if you have time that'd be fine. Personally I think it will be overkill. But if you want to, make them so we will have them in case we change our minds on-site and decide to use them afterall.

Nah, if it's something that has a good chance of not being used I'd rather not waste the time.

E>

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 6, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Kevin/Ryan - I'm definitely planning on hiding the seams.  I'm wondering which would be the most efficient way.  I was thinking I could use some posterboard but that would need to be carefully cut and arranged.  I could also use Masking Tape which would be much faster.  Anyone have any experience with masking tape peeling off after spray paint is applied?  I seem to recall that one of our early test buildings used this approach.

Looking great so far Brent! Like Famine was saying cover up those seams a wee bit aznd they will be great. And just out of curiosity how big is that table there, 3' x 5' maybe?

As for the trees... Would you mind trying to make maybe two more? I was thinking that we can try have about two for each 2' x 2' section of terrain. If you don't want to that's fine too. Let me know either way.

I checked the table - its 3.5' x 5.0' - good eyes!  I don't know if you are thinking the same thing I am but I'm actually worried that the diorama space will be too small  :-\  I know that seems like its counter-intuitive to everything we've said recently.  However, with 6-10 buildings, plus the large items from Chewie (including the junkyard), plus the market.  Are we going to need more real-estate? 

I think my buildings will be fine for the diorama, but like I've said all along - these are "rank and file" type buildings and not intended to be the "stars" if you know what I mean.  We really need to have enough room to show off some of the extra special buildings.  I know in your standard building description, you said mostly single story.  However, I think we'll need some larger (i.e. taller) buildings to really comform with Glassman's original concepts.

As far as the trees go.  Let me finish the 6 I've got started.  I think I'll be able to do two more but I want to get these first ones completely finished up.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2007, 09:36 AM by BrentS »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 6, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Things look like they're really shaping up guys.

As for tall buildings, I'll be sending two things that are two feet tall each (regular tower and the gun tower) so that will add a bit of height to it at least.

Also this probably isn't somethign that we have time for, but I think a sentry tower would really look cool in an Imperial deco -

Regarding the junk yard - Ryan, can you send me measurements again of what you'd like to see? 

:P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 7, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Update time.

I painted up two of the trees and and started to add some foliage to one of them.  I also spray painted one of my buildings.  Here are the results:

Close up of the tree:

Question for the group - how much additional foliage do you think these trees should have?  I wasn't thinking that these trees would be "super-lush" but more sporadiacally covered with foliage.

Here are some more shots for the building:

Here's a close-up of the texture:

I'm not 100% sold on this building.  I used masking tape to cover all the parts of the foam.  For the most part, its completly hidden.  There are a few places (like the dome) where you can see it a bit.

Question for the group -    What do you guys think?  What additional painting should I do to make it more "realistic"?
« Last Edit: April 7, 2007, 09:34 AM by BrentS »

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 7, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Hey Guys I put toghether a building last night. I made it from Styrofoam. What should I suse to paint it?
Fritzkrieg

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 7, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Another Question? I have somthing that looks akin to some sort of planetary defense cannon. I'll post a pick tonight, but is this something I should even consider when we already have an Imp Turbo laser from Owen?  Also the color of the buildings, should they all be gray or are tans and white options?

Sorry for all the questions but I have not spent much time reading this thread. I did not think I was going to contribute any buildings until I was hit with some inspiration last night.
Fritzkrieg

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 7, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Hey Guys I put toghether a building last night. I made it from Styrofoam. What should I suse to paint it?

Styrofoam can be painted with acrylic or latex house paints.  If you are going to spray paint it, you need to first "seal" the surfaces or the propellent will dissolve away the styrofoam.

Another Question? I have somthing that looks akin to some sort of planetary defense cannon. I'll post a pick tonight, but is this something I should even consider when we already have an Imp Turbo laser from Owen?  Also the color of the buildings, should they all be gray or are tans and white options?

Ryan has stated that they should all be gray colored.  We'd like them to look like concrete.  Here has a color palette here:
Here's a little spectrum I made for what we want to shoot for as far as the base coat goes on the standard buildings:

Really kind of shoot for a little left of center there somewhere, but a little lighter or darker should probably be ok.

« Last Edit: April 7, 2007, 10:34 AM by BrentS »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #342 on: April 7, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Brents, If it can Have a Bit More foliage to it in the higher branches it will look better. Even in trees that have very little foliage like the Thorn Acacia or the Boabab tree, there is still a fairly large amount at the top. Add a little more and I think they will be perfect.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 7, 2007, 05:22 PM »
Brent- looks great.  Since fleckstone is so uniform, maybe you can brush paint some weathering details over it.  The way your sample structure looked; kind of like stucco!  I was inspired by mentions of the hologram Sidious becoming a statue and pudding cups becoming storage/generator boxes, that I put these few together for Judde:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 7, 2007, 06:35 PM »
  I was inspired by mentions of the hologram Sidious becoming a statue

:P

Is that the corner piece from the Commemorative Tin packaging? I've got some of them I was going to use in a very similar fashion for my buildings!

E>