Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126473 times)

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #345 on: April 7, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Just a blanket WOW to all the posts above. Onto the Sarge report:

I finished cutting the base for Roron's globe. Remember, these are unfinished pics. Sunday is paint day. I'll post pics as it comes along on Sunday. Here's the mid weekend update.

Mike
"A great warrior, you say? Wars do not make one great." Master Yoda, TESB

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 7, 2007, 09:22 PM »
MIKE - That looks AWESOME.  What did you make that from?? 

Greg - I love the city "greebles"  we are going to need a bunch of these kind of things.  I think you do a great job with this things.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 7, 2007, 09:25 PM »
Sarge,
Question, have you glued everything together yet? One thing I see that needs to be different is the top step should be twisted where the tabs are in line with the notches. Anyway, other the the position of the step everthing looks awesome. Great job and I'm grateful for the help. I need to get some of my picture up now.

I might be over-ruled on this, but I would like to have that center filled with that rail road water. Maybe just a layer with some depth look to it. Or is that just me on this? Thanks
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 7, 2007, 09:34 PM »
I might be over-ruled on this, but I would like to have that center filled with that rail road water. Maybe just a layer with some depth look to it. Or is that just me on this? Thanks
roron corobb

I think that would look pretty cool.  You'd probably have the change the bottom base.

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #349 on: April 7, 2007, 09:38 PM »
Okay, good catch on the top level. Not glued yet, it's just stacked on top for the pic. I will paint each layer and then assemble.

Construction is from MDF (multidense fiberboard), my weapon of choice when I build stuff. I have a top from a pond fountain somewhere in my storage shed out back (too dark and scary to go out there tonight) and will post a pic of it in the middle tomorrow morning. It is in scale and I didn't think about it until I had the pieces sitting on the shelf for the picture.

I do have some railroad modelling water that I can melt and make a really good fountain effect. Maybe a light wash of metallic blue pearl paint would really draw out the water effect.

Brent, the bottom base is a 1/8 sheet of hardboard. There is ample space to have a water area.

Mike

« Last Edit: April 7, 2007, 09:39 PM by Sarge »

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #350 on: April 7, 2007, 09:56 PM »
One more pic and the old guy has to go to bed. I went through my fodder box and found one of those radar dishes that came with the figures. Cut the dish off and flipped it upside down. I think by dremelling out the indents (the blue arrow is pointing at) I can make the water flow in streams through that and pool in the bottom area. Here's a pic.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 7, 2007, 09:57 PM by Sarge »

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 7, 2007, 11:56 PM »
I like that idea too, but you might have to wait until I get these legs done. Not sure the heighth under the globe yet. I should have them done tomorrow I hope.

I would like others opinions on this though.

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #352 on: April 8, 2007, 08:19 AM »
That's cool, I think I can push mailing day for a couple of days. As I have stated, the post office is right across the street from the federal building in Savannah where I work. I can wander across anytime at lunch and get it out priority mail. For your reference, the measurements for the setup is:

Base + 3 layers of MDF = 1-5/8 inches (1/8 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2)
Visible part of fodder (fountain) pictured = 1 inch
Overall height = 2-5/8 inches.

Now, let me get back to painting.

Mike

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 8, 2007, 09:08 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!  My kids are already on candy overload. 

More Updates -

I tried a different Spray Texture.  I like this one much more.  I got 3.5 buildings finished before the can ran out.  Here's the WIP:

I also started upgrading the first building with some paint and the modern technology.  I'm still not completely sold on this building. I have a lot of detail painting to finish up.  I'll finish it and maybe it can find a spot in the back.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #354 on: April 8, 2007, 11:27 AM »
So what Kind of Foam did you make it out of again?? I want to try and make one. No promises. But If I do make one, and its good I'll donate it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 8, 2007, 12:06 PM »
I think both textures look pretty good Brent, but go with whatever you prefer since you are the one working on them and you see them in person. Maybe the second texture you're doing here does look a little better but both look fantastic in my opinion.

The add-ons so far really look great and add quite a bit of life to the buildings. 

Sarge, what you're doing is just amazing, no other word I can think of can describe it.  AMAZING!

On a side note, I'm going to try and start on the droid junk yard this week if possible and also I did start on a new custom junk yard dealer - you guys are going to like him.   8)

:P

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #356 on: April 8, 2007, 02:37 PM »
Brent, Sarge, these look fantastic.

Brent, i too like the "finer" texture better also.  I think the Solid styrofoam buildings are gonna be amazing.
I started a building with foamcore.  I am including a bit of a how-to so the  construction is uniform.

What i am doing is taking a wall ( pre-cut to the size i want)
Then I am taking a NOTCH out of the corners.  The notch should be as wide as the foamcore you are using. ( 1/4" in this case)

Here is the wall sliced at the edge.

Then the notch is cut out, leaving the cardboard that covers the foam.

Then this piece is glued to the next wall which is NOT cut or notched.

When glued together, they make a pretty tight seam.

You can see you only have to notch 2 of the 4 walls.  The other two walls fit right in place.
Remember to cut windows and doors first, before glueing in place.

Adi is just there for scale.

The notches cut out can be used for details.

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #357 on: April 8, 2007, 02:37 PM »
Sunday Update:

Okay, got the layers painted. Here they are stacked (not glued). I also included a top shot so you can see the Imperial logo detail. I dremelled out the fountain fodder I mentioned in an earlier post. Roron and I haven't locked down the fountain aspect yet. Enjoy.

Mike

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #358 on: April 8, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Looking good guys...

My internet is on the fritz again here so I have hardly been able to get online these last few days, the tech is coming out tomorrow so hopefully it'll be sorted out soon. I'm going to keep this brief in case my connections times out when I try to post this, but everything is looking good so far. I'll get to all these PMs here in the next few days too.

I do have one quick comment as far as the fountain goes... Do NOT, I say again, do NOT paint the area under the water blue. Paint it just as if you were painting it if there wasn't water there. You can go a shade or two ddarker, but don't add blue. The fake water will magnify any bright colors underneath it, and the blue won't have the look we want. Any bright colors always need to be toned down when putting them into scale or it just doesn't look quite right.
"This is the way."

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #359 on: April 8, 2007, 05:10 PM »
Totally agree, Ryan. The current 'pool' area is the lighter grey that you see on the outside. Roron and I have been in email contact and I am making some modifications to the fountain (adding another step). I will post when it is complete in a couple of hours.

Mike

www.sarges-customs.com