Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126414 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #435 on: April 14, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Maybe make an Incom or Blastech or cybot galactica poster, industrial automaton, things like that for a billboard

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 14, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Can I get a life size poster of that for my bedroom?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 15, 2007, 12:58 AM »
Glassman - the graphics look great!  I think I'd be in the camp to have the text in Aurebresh (or however you spell it).  However, I don't think its essential.

Maybe make an Incom or Blastech or cybot galactica poster, industrial automaton, things like that for a billboard

I think that is a great idea Smarty. 

Roronn - I think I comments how much I like the Globe.  However, if I didn't then here it is - I love it!

I'm nearly finished with 3 of the 6 buildings.  I wish I would not have used the masking tape but I think they'll still be okay.  I'm going to take some pictures of them outside in some natural light tomorrow.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 15, 2007, 02:03 AM »
I fit it over the original artwork, then reduced the opacity of the linework by half so the image showed through more.

Glassman,
Did you use the picture of Rieekan's Tactical Screen on Rebelscum? Or did you scan your the original Tactical Screen on a scanner? Also do you have a program for reduced the opacity of the screen's lines? Thanks for the walk through.

Roronn - I think I comments how much I like the Globe.  However, if I didn't then here it is - I love it!

I'm nearly finished with 3 of the 6 buildings.  I wish I would not have used the masking tape but I think they'll still be okay.  I'm going to take some pictures of them outside in some natural light tomorrow.

Thanks Brent, and I was thinking of the same thing about the globe once it's complete with base. I think that copper paint look cool in natural light.

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 15, 2007, 09:48 AM »

Beautiful sunny morning.  Here are the buildings.   I still need to add doors and domes on the roofs, otherwise, these 3 are finished.

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 15, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Whenever I'm  putting together a custom and adding the little Greeblies. I try to think of a function for the pieces I add. With my little building project for the UGP I first set out to make some sort of Fire Control center for a Planetary Defense Cannon. That Idea was a little too distracting given the overall design of the Dio. So I reworked my building into, in my mind, what would be a type of imperial barracks.

So here is a little visual key to what is going on with my little building.

Fritzkrieg

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2007, 01:28 PM »
Jesus Christmas on a pear shaped cracker! :o You guys are putting my building/booth to shame. Painted pics to come soon.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2007, 05:58 PM »
Aw, Brent- those are fantastic!  Here's my building; the lighting sort of mutes the paintjob so I'll try to get a clearer pic up later.

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Applause all around guys. I can't really go into too much detail tonight as I have a big term paper due tomorrow that I should probably start on...

Glass- Fantastic work on those holo screens. I believe the Reekien holo screen is more of a military radar holo, as would been seen on a battle ship, but I wouldn't have really even noticed where it came from since the focal point is on the picture as opposed to the lines. The finished pictures look awesome, and the lines blend in wonderfully and have a great holographic effect. I do kind of agree on the English/Auresbesh deal, but I don't think it is a huge deal. Feel free too whip up more of these if you want.

Fritz-  The newest update looks great. I really like the added greeblies. I still think that something should be done too cover that seam though. Perhaps some sort of connectors to make it look like two smaller parts have been bolted together? At this point I still feel it looks like two similar buildings right up next to each toher.

Brent- All of yours are looking great. I love the added greeblies and rust colored weathering. I'd like to see some shots of the doors if you have any.

Daigo-Bah- I love it. Judging by the size I'm guessing it is a two story? I love the angle cuts and the sloped cuts on the bottom sides.

I made a good chunk of progress on the terrain this weekend. I managed to get all the rest of the base foam cut and shaped, I mounted the grass mat on them as well. Patreek's cliffs were mounted on the back piece and the greenery was stripped. I also layed down a coat of plaster for the riverbed. 
"This is the way."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2007, 10:36 PM »
Painted pics to come soon.

OK. Tragedy struck tonight. I picked up what I deemed to be safe spray paint, and put on some coats on my booth. I walked away.

I came back downstairs an hour later, and you could hear my cries of horror. The paint ate all the foam in the foam core, leaving cardboard scrap, stuck to the newspaper I used to protect the floor. It also ate my hot glue.

I'll have to build another one tomorrow morning. This gives me a better chance to use a steel straight edge, and make some lighter incisions, so it doesn't look like I took a saw to it.  I guess this is a redeeming chance at a better booth. :) In hindsight I should have masked the seams with stuck-o or masking tape.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2007, 11:18 PM »
Sorry to hear that Kevin - you can seal off the foam with a layer of white elmers glue as well.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 16, 2007, 01:26 AM »
Glassman - those are AWESOME!  I'd be in the camp of Aurebesh writing too, if it's not too much trouble.

Kevin - do you have a Target store in your area? If so, try looking at the BLACK foamcore there - you'll find it easier to work with, I promise. 

Regarding the Junk Yard - I am so busy guys, but still working on this. 

With how much I have going on I didn't get to start on it until midnight Friday night, and had built it out of wood.  When I set it on a flat surface, I realized the wood I had bought (for the surface) was warped more than I though.  I looked at Lowes and Home Depot for a flat piece of board, and finally got one that seemed like it would work... but low and behold, it started tottering on a flat surface once the entire thing was assembled.   

Frustration took over because I had worked on this for 5 hours, then got pissed and threw it in the trash.  I actually got a hammer and pounded it to scrap, I was pretty mad.  And tired. 

Had to go to two 30th birthday parties yesterday and had our first baby shower today, I didn't even get home until 8:30pm - ran to Target and bought some black foamcore.  End result will be a different looking junkyard than I originally planned on.  Smaller, but will have a more Star Wars feel to it I think.  Also the walls will be curved - it's one large wall, shaped like a U - an open area with a shop up front.  Won't be huge but there will be no problems fitting a lot of droids in it with ample walking area.  I think it will turn out pretty good, or at least I am hoping so.  This is going to be classified as a junk yard area so be ready for some dirty weathering on a few areas.

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 16, 2007, 09:56 AM »
Some great looking buildings guys. I can't wait till they arrive. I'd sware Daigo-Bah's building looking like its made out of poured concrete.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #448 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22 AM »
Daigo-Bah, that looks so real. Phruby is right, it looks like concrete. Impressive.
It rained all day where i am so i couldnt paint. 30-40MPH wind today, so no go after work either... So hopefully this week.
I'll get on those bilboards asap.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 16, 2007, 11:41 AM »
I'd sware Daigo-Bah's building looking like its made out of poured concrete.

I totally agree. 

Daigo-Bah, it looks great!  Are you calling this building finished or are there any more greebles to add?   I think it could go either way.  When you take new pictures, can we get a figure in there for scale also?

Ryan - the doors aren't finished yet.  I made them all out of plasticard (sheet styrene) and started painting them up. 

Chewie - sorry to hear about the troubles with the wood.  If it helps, your post made me laugh out loud as I envisioned your beating the crap out of the wood.  I'm looking forward to seeing the end result of the Junkyard.  It sounds promising!

As far as a further update, I also sprayed the last 3 buildings (I sprayed over the first one, I just didn't like it).  Most of the greebles are ready.

I made a display stand for my Market Stall - its going to be a food/meat vendor.  I thinking of scrapping the WIP I showed entirely and going with something a bit more like Daigo-Bah's style.  I need to figure out the best way to put an overhanging stand.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:46 AM by BrentS »