Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126512 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Ha Ha, yeah I was so mad Brent.  I felt quite a bit better afterwards though.   ;D

Phruby, I know you received the packages I sent so far, but did you happen to open the big one with the portions of the wall that I made?  Any questions on moving forward with it?

:P

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Thanks so much for the comments guys!  I think better pics will illuminate the paintjob a little better.  Brent, I think you're right about greeblies and I'll add a few more to it, thanks!  By the way, it's no where near as large as it might look; definitely not a 2-story, and figures right next to it might look disproportionate  :P

Edit: told you it was small!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:15 PM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Something maybe to consider on a building or two...

One, perhaps a painted-on mural/propoganda painting...  A picture of Palpatine, maybe with it fading some from weather...  Something akin to what is seen in countries from Hitler's Germany to Iraq's Sadam Hussein...  Having imagery of the dictator is a popular way the dictator keeps his presence in the minds of his people, but usually it's done with a tone of "Hey look at me, I'm a cool guy" to it, so nothing sinister/evil looking.

Also...  A little graffitti might look cool on a building or two.  Nothing overdone, but it's a subtle kind of thing people might notice when looking over a scene.  Especially if there's a "lower class" portion of the city you guys are doing?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Thanks so much for the comments guys!  I think better pics will illuminate the paintjob a little better.  Brent, I think you're right about greeblies and I'll add a few more to it, thanks!  By the way, it's no where near as large as it might look; definitely not a 2-story, and figures right next to it might look disproportionate  :P

Edit: told you it was small!

Daigo-Bah,
Still looks cool. I would suggest making another door part maybe 2 parts (open like storm doors) and lay them flat in front of the door you have there, simulating an underground type dwelling or on part? Just an idea to fix the size problem.

Jesse,
I like the idea of graffitti, but the picture would be to low tech. If you could would up some holo type pictures that would be better.

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Heeby Jeebies! Those buildings rock!

Well, three 30 foot trees went down around my house this past weekend and ate up a lot of my time. Roron and I are working behind the scenes to get the globe / fountain complete. I should have final pics of the base posted this time tomorrow night. I think you guys are gonna love the overall look. It is kicking ass!

And now for a Sarge update. I finished the base of the Palp statue and will start the 'rock texture' on Wednesday. Here's a little teaser for ya.

Mike
"A great warrior, you say? Wars do not make one great." Master Yoda, TESB

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2007, 10:11 PM »
Sarge,
That statue rocks. That solid base looks too cool. I wonder what you have in store for the next up date.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 17, 2007, 01:16 AM »
Sarge - FANTASTIC.  I love the base for it.

I'll try and get working back on this thing soon -

Here's an early WIP of the Junk Yard -

And I'll get an Owen D Gun Tower mailed soon too.

After that, including the stuff I already sent Phruby, I think I'm done on contributions?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #457 on: April 17, 2007, 02:36 AM »
Roron, I hear you on the low-tech aspect but I think the visual tie-in helps...  Holographic signage though is a great idea I think as well, something that could tie the city in with the look of the films too. 

The thing about the painted image is that it's utilizing existing facades...  That's always been the point of painting a wall or something to advertise a product (common in the late 19th, early 20th centuries by the way), or to subconsciously promote the person in power...  I think you guys should consider it, but only on one building...  Or, perhaps this'll maybe sound cooler to you, a fading image from the Clone Wars...  Something like a painting of the Clone army that was used as Republic Propoganda? 

It's different...  Low-tech though, I agree, but I don't think it's something that would be abandoned either, as holographic signs cost money and all. 

It's just an idea though, I'm merely a bystander. ;D  I enjoy tossing ideas at people about customizing in general though...  I miss the chats at FFURG we used to do all the time in mIRC.  Man those things got some grand ideas bouncing off from all directions.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 17, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Sarge - that Emperor Statue looks great. You'd really made it look like its coming out of the stone.  However, to be completely honest, I think it may be too big (tall).  Based ont the figure scale, it looks like it must be almost 16-18" tall.  That is 2.5 - 3x taller than the base of the buildings that we've already seen made.  The outer wall is the 8" tall so it is at least twice as tall as that.   I'm all for including it, as long as it doesn't look too out of place.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

Chewie - I think that Junk Yard is looking great.  Any thoughts on how your are going to paint it and hide the foam seams?  Are you going to leave it on the black foamcore base?  I know that it is smaller than you originally planned but I think it is a nice looking size.  It will take a lot of junk to fill that area up.

Now something for the group - As this is starting to come together.  I think there are a few things that will need to be addressed.

1 - City-wide Greebles.  We really need to think about addiing more city type greebles.  Things like benches, trash cans, planters, etc.  Daigo-bah has made a few and Glassman has the great holo-projectors but we'll really need more things to give the city some life.

2 - Taller buildings.  I'm curious, does anyone else thing we need a couple taller, more "regal" looking buildings?  Glassman's original concept buildings showed several very tall elegant buildings.  We've got a great number of smaller, industrial type buildings.  I think those are perfectly fine but it sort of goes back to my point on the Emperor statue.  If this was a mostly industrial type city. Do we think the emperor would spend the "money" to erect and HUGE statue in a very "low class" area?    Thoughts?

One last thing - May 1st is TWO WEEKS AWAY.  All building shipping deadlines is May 1st. 
Remember the deadlines.  We are making great progress but there is still a lot to do![/b]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 10:05 AM by BrentS »

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #459 on: April 17, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Daigo, I like your building. The fact that it is "short" only implies the majority of the building is underground.
So i dont see it as a problem.

Sarge.... DAYUMN!!!!! That is a sweet statue.

BrentS... you are right about bigger buildings.  I am hoping to get 1 or 2 done. but we need a few more.
Remember we had a cantina, some sort of city hall and a govener building.  Those wont be 1 story, adobe type buildings.( well maby the cantin, but it wont be small)

2 week huh?  better get crackin.   

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 17, 2007, 11:13 AM »
Well, two of the buildings I'm sending are pretty tall.  The basic tower and the gun tower.  If someone else makes another large building that's great, but I know these things take time.  One thing to consider might be a modular level building, that might be easier for someone to assemble.

The height of the statue to me is fantastic.  I know not all the buildings we have are that tall, but an imposing statue of Palpatine, to me is a good thing.  Indicating the Imperial domination and shows who is boss.

On the junkyard, I have a lot of painting to do on it.  For the seams, I haven't figured out just yet how I'll go about it.  I've painted foamcore before with seams showing, just painting them a different shade of gray - it 'might" look ok like that but I'm going to see what I can do about it.  I wasn't overly concerned with it since this is probably the nastiest part of the city and least kept.  I'll probably paint the walls gray, with some texture added, and add some little greeblies to the wall, perhaps some electronic boards, that sort of thing.  And pretty heavily weathered since it's a junk yard... I wasn't planning on including the black base board for it, I don't think it would look right with it.  Now, if I have time I **could** experiment with something other than foam core on this, but I've either finishing it this way or have to bow out.  I have way too much going on outside of the project to stay at the level I have been.

For additional stuff, I really think we need to have someone look into the following:

- creating benches (probably anywhere from 5-10 of them)
- small potted planets or something (anywhere from 10-20 of them)
- public drinking fountains

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2007, 11:26 AM »
If someone else makes another large building that's great, but I know these things take time.  One thing to consider might be a modular level building, that might be easier for someone to assemble.

I'm thinking about taking one or two of my smaller buildings and making them taller by creating something modular in nature. 

BrentS... you are right about bigger buildings.  I am hoping to get 1 or 2 done. but we need a few more.
Remember we had a cantina, some sort of city hall and a govener building.  Those wont be 1 story, adobe type buildings.( well maby the cantin, but it wont be small)

I'm still planning on making the Cantina as well.  It will be in a simlar style to my other buildings but should be open air.  I've been talking with Ryan a bit about this behind the scenes.

The height of the statue to me is fantastic.  I know not all the buildings we have are that tall, but an imposing statue of Palpatine, to me is a good thing.  Indicating the Imperial domination and shows who is boss.

I agree with you Chewie to some extent.  I just want to make sure that everything blends together as seemlessly as possible.  Its quite likely that it will look perfect.  I will definitely be an eye catcher and I'm all for anything in the diorama that will attract attention!!!

On the junkyard, I have a lot of painting to do on it.  For the seams, I haven't figured out just yet how I'll go about it.  I've painted foamcore before with seams showing, just painting them a different shade of gray - it 'might" look ok like that but I'm going to see what I can do about it.  I wasn't overly concerned with it since this is probably the nastiest part of the city and least kept.  I'll probably paint the walls gray, with some texture added, and add some little greeblies to the wall, perhaps some electronic boards, that sort of thing.  And pretty heavily weathered since it's a junk yard... I wasn't planning on including the black base board for it, I don't think it would look right with it.  Now, if I have time I **could** experiment with something other than foam core on this, but I've either finishing it this way or have to bow out.  I have way too much going on outside of the project to stay at the level I have been.

I'm sure you'll make it look great!

For additional stuff, I really think we need to have someone look into the following:

In addition to this list.  I think Streetlamps.  I had an idea of taking the bases from the Cannons that came with the Clone Pilots, add a styrene tube to them and top them off with some suitable looking lamp.  I've got enough Clone Cannons and some Styrene tubes but I've got a million other things I'm trying to finish for the project.  If I do make some streetlamps, how many do you think we'd need/want??

Oh my, so much to do, so little time....

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2007, 04:51 PM »
Streetlamps are a good idea Brent, at least I think so.  Maybe if you have time, make a mockup of one?  I'd say anywhere from 4-6 of them would be ok?

Also on the junkyard, I might swing by the store this evening and look at some alternate ideas for the wall section (still going to go with with same design, just might go with a different material if possible).  But I need to have it finalized in the next night or two on design/construction so I have time to paint and ship it.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2007, 04:59 PM »
I had a big term paper due Monday so Sunday I wasn't around much, I actually never went to bed Sunday night. I was going to pop in here and comment on all of this yesterday but I only made it until about 5:15PM until I had myself a nice 13 hour coma. Anyways things are really looking great so far guys, I'm impressed more and more everyday.

Something maybe to consider on a building or two...

One, perhaps a painted-on mural/propoganda painting...  A picture of Palpatine, maybe with it fading some from weather...  Something akin to what is seen in countries from Hitler's Germany to Iraq's Sadam Hussein...  Having imagery of the dictator is a popular way the dictator keeps his presence in the minds of his people, but usually it's done with a tone of "Hey look at me, I'm a cool guy" to it, so nothing sinister/evil looking.

Also...  A little graffitti might look cool on a building or two.  Nothing overdone, but it's a subtle kind of thing people might notice when looking over a scene.  Especially if there's a "lower class" portion of the city you guys are doing?

That's a really cool idea there Jesse... I love it.  :)

I think it is definitely something we should use on a few buildings. I think I'll try and add some graffiti to my building. Not necessarily an emperor painting cause I don't know that I could pull that off. Clone Wars Era posters could be really cool as well... If anyone else wants to try some let me know. We have to keep track of this so we don't have too much around town.

Heeby Jeebies! Those buildings rock!

Well, three 30 foot trees went down around my house this past weekend and ate up a lot of my time. Roron and I are working behind the scenes to get the globe / fountain complete. I should have final pics of the base posted this time tomorrow night. I think you guys are gonna love the overall look. It is kicking ass!

And now for a Sarge update. I finished the base of the Palp statue and will start the 'rock texture' on Wednesday. Here's a little teaser for ya.

Pic Removed

Mike

I can't wait to see the finished globe guys it sounds great. Sarge that statue looks awesome. I think you pretty much nailed the based height right on. I'm really looking forward to finished prodect.

Sarge - FANTASTIC.  I love the base for it.

I'll try and get working back on this thing soon -

Pic Removed

Here's an early WIP of the Junk Yard -

Pic Removed

After that, including the stuff I already sent Phruby, I think I'm done on contributions?

The layout looks good so far there Justin. That dealer shop looks nifty, I like all the curves. I think the grey heavily weathered look should be fine for that. Personally I'd cover all the foam with either thin mat board or even regualr typing paper, as I think that looks better, and it will seal the foam too. Brent suggested to Kevin using a thin layer of Elmer's glue to seam it, I personally have never tried that, but if it works that'd be fine too since this isn't supposed to be a pristine looking building by any stretch. Do you still plan on sending that box of crap you had to help fill out the junkyard or should we have someone pick up a few old model kits we can throw in there? Either way is fine with me. And if you can, would you mind throwing together some of the accesories you suggested? If you need time with the Mrs, and the future mini-Chewie this isn't required.

Sarge - that Emperor Statue looks great. You'd really made it look like its coming out of the stone.  However, to be completely honest, I think it may be too big (tall).  Based ont the figure scale, it looks like it must be almost 16-18" tall.  That is 2.5 - 3x taller than the base of the buildings that we've already seen made.  The outer wall is the 8" tall so it is at least twice as tall as that.   I'm all for including it, as long as it doesn't look too out of place.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

I think it should be ok. As long as it goes more towards the center and we have some other decent sized buildings it should be alright. Personally I think it would make a good center piece. Maybe if it is too tall we could tak 3" or so off the base on site.

Now something for the group - As this is starting to come together.  I think there are a few things that will need to be addressed.

1 - City-wide Greebles.  We really need to think about addiing more city type greebles.  Things like benches, trash cans, planters, etc.  Daigo-bah has made a few and Glassman has the great holo-projectors but we'll really need more things to give the city some life.

2 - Taller buildings.  I'm curious, does anyone else thing we need a couple taller, more "regal" looking buildings?  Glassman's original concept buildings showed several very tall elegant buildings.  We've got a great number of smaller, industrial type buildings.  I think those are perfectly fine but it sort of goes back to my point on the Emperor statue.  If this was a mostly industrial type city. Do we think the emperor would spend the "money" to erect and HUGE statue in a very "low class" area?    Thoughts?

I totally agree with you here Brent, and I like Justin's breakdown. I'm not going to be able to afford shipping more than my building and the terrain. I was thinking I might have time to whip up a bigger building or on site if I can prefab most of it before hand, aside from gluing the walls together, and then ship it flat with the terrain. I'll make some accessories as well.

Here is a list of the people that are going to need to make some more accessories:

Daigo-Bah
Famine
jedistyle
Glassman (keep up with the holoscreens, and you can work on the other types too if you want)
Phruby
CHEWIE (If you have time)
myself

Let know in the next day here if you have any specific requests as to what type you'd like to make, if you don't have a preference I'll assign something in the next few days.

Keep in mind we want to shoot for something like this:

And if anyone thinks of anything else that might be a good thing to have be sure to chime in.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Thanks Ryan - and yes, I definitely will add lots of junk pieces for the junkyard.  I'll try to conceal the edges of the foamcore like you suggested if I don't go with another method (considering Balsa Wood).

On the curved thing in the middle, Owen made that for me a long time ago - it's from styrene and part of the Bespin junk droid room... I need to paint it.  I figured it would fit in well for the junkyard.  Here's more unpainted pics of it - http://www.owenscustoms.com/smelter.html

I'm not sure how much I like the little shop on the right side... I like the top to it but am not too happy with the rest of it.  I'll do some more work on it.

Glad you are ok with the basic layout too, and sounds like you've been very busy yourself with classes, not something I am envious of.