Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126040 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #570 on: May 4, 2007, 03:42 PM »
I picked up the Rustoleum hammered black. (no metalic black) That should give a nice texture to it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 4, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Sounds good Phruby... what I'd suggest is possibly making a small "test" wall - just one small piece of whatever final outside covering is going to be on it and making sure you're satisfied with how it looks painted.  Up to you though.

Also I got something cool in the mail today from a forum member at Scum - pickintheblues sent me some casted custom CZ droid parts - I'm going to ***try*** and do something with them for the junk yard and ship out to Phruby ASAP... probably can't mess with it until Sunday though.

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 4, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Cool CZ droid parts. I wish I had one of those. I guess Hasbro is giving us one so I'll have to wait for the official version. I painted one of the wall pieces with the hammered black. It looks good but still looks like wood. I'll have to give it a second coat. Once I get them all painted and cut the rest of the walls, then I can think about all the little accessories and trim.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 5, 2007, 01:35 AM »
I think I got credit for finishing and sending a market stall.  However, I haven't shipped it yet.  Here is my stall.  Its a Meet vendor in the spirit of Garga.

I know that it is late but I'll send it along with some of the "steetlamps" that I made on Monday.  Phruby, you'll have them by Wednesday/Thursday I'd imagine.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #574 on: May 7, 2007, 04:11 AM »
Looks great Brent! I think All the stalls have turned out great so far.  :)

As requested here are some final WIPs of the terrain, note that I've since added some long grass. I just need to pour the water, and attach the waterfall then this should be ready mail out (finally.) I feel like a schmuck for missing my own deadline :-[. I've had so mush **** come up I've been running on fumes lately. That and I've had to modify the layout a few times cause I wasn't happy with it at all. That first piece has changed significantly since the first time I posted it.
Oh and a few other quick asides-

1) The blue foam edges will all be covered in a nice black edge, I was going to do that here at home, but I think it may be easier to just do it onsite, especially since we have 2 days to setup now. You can see a partially attached piece on the side of the cliffs there.
2) The seams fit together fairly well here but I can't blend them completely until we get onsite.
3) The Thumbtacks are stand-ins for Brent's trees.
4) Due in part to the size of this and lack of proper lighting the pictures are in fact quite ******. It looks better and brighter in person.
5) The City wall will hang 2" over the right side of the terrain there, hence the flat boring edges over there and the abuptly halting cliffs. that will be blended on site as well.
6) I was lazy and didn't want to thumbnail these, sorry. :P
« Last Edit: May 7, 2007, 07:59 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #575 on: May 7, 2007, 04:12 AM »

"This is the way."

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 7, 2007, 07:49 AM »
Very well done. Looks good.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 7, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Are you still going with a water fall?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #578 on: May 7, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Are you still going with a water fall?

As requested here are some final WIPs of the terrain, note that I've since added some long grass. I just need to pour the water, and attach the waterfall then this should be ready mail out (finally.)
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 7, 2007, 10:03 AM »
Very cool! That terrain came out great. I think I missed it but what about the streets and city ground?

As for the walls, I've painted chewies walls but they still look like they are made out of wood. I think that will be ok though because I'm adding some half round trim to the top for a pipe and some little additional accesories. For the front wall, I've made the center piece out of foam core but I don't like the texture even after wrapping it in paper. The paint didn't work very well with the paper. What I'm going with instead is the thin foam boards that most of you used for your buildings. That makes it easier to cut (instead of carve) and should be very clean and match the back walls better in texture. Good news is my wife and kids will be out of town this weekend so I'll be able to finish it by next monday.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 7, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Is it to late to rotate the center rock piece in the other dirrection? If water is flowing from the falls, the blunt round end is what gets pounded (erroded). As water flows by, waterslows down and deposits in a sharp tip. Like a tear drop falling.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 7, 2007, 11:01 AM »
No big deal though

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 7, 2007, 11:13 AM »
Ryan, fantastic work buddy!  That really is looking professional!   Honestly, I knew you were going to be doing a good job on this, but I truly am amazed!   :o

Phruby - Sounds like you're doing good, I understand the trial and error that you might have to go through some on it.  I had a very hard time with the junkyard getting it to look how I wanted.  You could maybe do some sort of wash on it - and if there really are two days on site - I don't see any reason why on site that a bit of dry brushing with some light gray, then a metallic silver, and then a bit of black can't be done on the edges.  Might give it more of a look that you'd like.  Are you 100% sure you're not going to use wood on it at all?  I painted some wood last night and was able to get it to look like metal - I'll try and take a pic tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 7, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Maybe I need more coats of black?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 7, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Well, I think that the way to go about it is to use different colors here and there - for example, when I paint something like this, I use several different colors.

1) First I spray a base coat with a dark color.

2) Then with a lighter color, I spray lightly back and forth, but not too heavy - I still want the first coat to be seen some.

3) Then with a different color, I spray back and forth a bit more - now I have hints of three shades on the item being painted - adding a level of "real world" wear to it.

4) I might go back and use the base color again here and there, always spraying in a motion moving back and forth lightly - and never letting it get too thick in one area.  I might even hold a can in each hand so the two colors mix some.

Now, you might really like this stuff that Walmart carries - there's different colors -

Perhaps a mix of black, tan and a gray would work out and give the effect you're trying to achieve?  I think that if it looks "glossy" at all it won't look as good, so I usually go with a flat paint type.