Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42565 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2007, 06:35 PM »
I think it would look great but we'll have to wait for ryan or paul

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2007, 06:58 PM »
I'd say approve it.

;)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2007, 08:35 PM »
WHich part is filled and which part is void?   If the small parts are fiilled, My only suggestion is that you put some flat area before you drop into the canyon.  The way it is now, if you step outside the wall, you fall.

The same way the canyon turns off toward the top corner, make it do that away from the gate. So you can have some area to drive speeders or walk walkers etc.

Also, thats about a 2'x9' strip of all canyon.

If its the otherway around,  never mind.  But i think you are meaning that its all canyon. right?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2007, 01:01 AM »
I thought he meant cliffs more or less with the canyons actually being somewhat level to the "base"?  As in the cliffs laying on top of the landscape, creating a canyon?

Also, I'm thinking I have an idea.  I think it's the absolute easiest way to make this thing and it will prevent there from being major problems with the setup.  Please hear me out here. 

First off, look at the below diagram from Glassman's latest concept (which is EXCELLENT), which I have altered and am going to make some suggestions on.

You will see there are 4 red numbers on the diagram now.  Each of these represents a specific section of the scene.

Section # 1 - These are Patreek's cliffs/canyons.  He gets specific measurements and makes them, and sends them to Phruby.  Phruby will add them to the #1 section.  Patreek could even make a few more rocks for Phruby to distribute throughout the landscape once on site.

Section # 2 - This is the main lanscape strip.  Cutting this down to a smaller area as Glassman did with the design will benefit the project.  Using the ready-mats is an idea way of going about this.  This section can be premade.  Maybe Ryan will take this on, he has a huge talent for the landscape.  It would go all the way to the top where the # 1 area is, but would be a "base" for the area designated as # 1.  It is also very important that the right side have some "overlay" that can be covered by the # 3 section on site so there is not a gap.  Shouldn't be too hard.

Section # 3 - This is a LOT easier than it sounds like.  It needs a couple of things to start with - a frame wall to go around the base.  I say we have someone make the walls in sections - but make them modular.  As in several pieces so once on-site, if there is any sort of problem with dimensions, they can just be re-arranged on site tp prevent any problems.  This is probably going to need to be made from foamcore.  This week I hear Michael's has their foamcore on sale for $1.00 per sheet.  The only things that need to be pre-made are the walls and the buildings.  The floor can be cheap stone tiles (please, please trust me on this) in a gray color, they will look like concrete.  Perfect for an Imperial city.  Assembly will be 10 minutes on site to lay them out.  If we don't have enough buildings to fill it out, that can easily be remedied by adding a couple AT-ST's standing guard within the city walls.

Section # 4 - Spaceport... not too hard I wouldnt think, but then again I may not know exactly what you guys have in mind for this.  Can the left wall really just be the "right wall" from the city?  Would all we need is a strip for ships to land?  And some sort of fleet security, maybe a loader craft, and some sort of security point for the pilots to go to that leads to the city?  The ground for this could be stone tiles too, just a different color.  Heck on site someone could even paint a few landing strips on them.  Simple... the tiles can all be done ON SITE and only take a few minutes.  Should be stone tiles though, not plastic or vinyl. 

We just need to narrow down who is responsible for what.  I say no Rebel base, we have no room for it.  Just a few Rebels running around like in Battlefront.

Also, I'm working on a building for the city.  It's pretty tall, and it's not done yet.  But I plan on getting it done within a month.

I'm also sending this so you can count on it for a building.

Also something similar to this you'll be getting from me -

Those last two things are priceless items to me, so I really hope I will get them back.

Also, what about a centerpiece of the action, with Vader choking a Jedi he has found, with a group of Stormtroopers surrounding him?

;)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:55 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Finally somebody with vision!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Chewie, great start of dividing this up.  I think we need Paul (and Ryan) to weigh in and decide if we are going to move forward.  To me, its sounds like the grass roots is still there but we still need decisions at the top.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2007, 02:21 PM »
Hey Chewie! I too want to make the Dagobagh swamp with that aquarium tree sculpture

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Great ideas chewie.

With regueards to the spacestation, i was thinking the shops laned where they sit. (no need for a runway/strip) remember they just float up and away.
the notch in the space port, on the left was intended to be the entrance to the city. maybe steps down to the street from the spaceport.
There is where the Security fleet would be. and like you said a loader and a small transprt for those who "park" dock far from the city entrance.
So yes there is a wall there with the entrace running parallel to the wall.

The tower works for me, but i'm still working on my original vision.  Maybe it could be added to yours in some way. ( I dont want to let go of that fin/sail just yet) ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2007, 04:45 PM »
Thanks guys, and I wasn't trying to replace your idea at all, maybe mine is just an additional tower or something.  Not meant to be the distinguishing feature of the city by any means.  And if you guys don't like it, that's ok too!

Patreek - those aquarium trees are awesome.  I've found that Petsmart stores have a great selection of them.

;)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Like i said, it looks great and could be the center piece.  Even if i'm just building it for me, i am building the sail.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2007, 07:54 AM »
Here is a dimmension we never talked about( I think?)

How about height? At first I was always thinking waist high (on a table).  How about a bit lower(abouve the knee). That way you can look down on everything and there are no obstructive buildings?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Patreek - that is a very good thought.  Originally, I would have said waist hight but you may be right ont he knee level idea.  That would make more of the dio accessible to both Kids and Adults.  Someone had also suggested using a Plexiglass barrier.  We may need to consider that too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2007, 04:15 AM »
Issues to consider with the height being lower are the ease of someone tripping/falling onto it, especially if you have a crowd...  Also, would you be basically building a framed table to set up there yourself?  For FFURG's booth last year we were given I think one table to work with and had another one brought along.  I can't recall offhand now.  My old age catching up with me.

Anyway I recall someone suggesting a plexi-glass "shield" around the whole thing to prevent touching of the dio and all that stuff (Ryan?), and that is a definite issue...  Table's get bumped, things fall, etc....  And people are potentially there by the bunch and might (especially children) be compelled to reach out grab or whatnot. 

Just some food for thought from past experiences...  Hope it's going well for you guys.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Is anyone against glueing everything in place?  Figures i mean.  Or figure stands for those that are againt it?
That will stop the figures from toppeling over in case any bumps.
All buildings and ships should be self standing. A slight table nudge shouldnt make the buildings topple, but would make the figures fall.

So lets secure the figures?

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2007, 07:58 PM »

Anyway I recall someone suggesting a plexi-glass "shield" around the whole thing to prevent touching of the dio and all that stuff (Ryan?),

Twas I said the brave knight!! :P