Author Topic: I just shaved my head bald.  (Read 8877 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
I just shaved my head bald.
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:35 AM »
Anyone else ever done this?  I think this is like the fourth or fifth summer I've done it (not in a row, though).  I'm not losing my hair or in the military or a neo-Nazi or anything; I think I just like all the time it saves.  Don't have to wash it, and you don't have to dry it, and you don't have to fix it up.  Saves a ****load of time.  Plus, it's really cool, like temperature-wise, which is nice during the hot summertime.

On the downside, it looks a little goofy, and it feels weird while you're putting on a shirt.  And when you decide to grow it out, you get that really funky, shaggy look in between haircuts, which is more than a little awkward.  And, if you want to maintain the look, you have to keep doing it, every so often. 

But I think the pros outweigh the cons, at least during this time of year.

Who's with me?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: I just shaved my head bald.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:45 AM »
I've not shaved my head because I fear mine is an odd shape and don't want to know that for certain.

My hairline went back when I got into my 20's at first, but it's seemingly locked in place now...  I'm told it's partly because I often wear a hat too and that it'd grow back in full if I'd stop that, but I dunno...  My head definitely isn't gonna look right if I do shave it though.  I just know this.  I think I'd look like Sloth without the little tuft...  I don't know. 

I saw a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago for his 30th birthday.  He got married and I've seen little of him since then which was like a couple years ago.  I think I saw him once since then and he had a hat on.  Anyway he was going bald when we graduated high school and of course now he has the ring of hair and none on top...  He'd shaved it down to fuzz/stubble.  I thought he looked normal like that...  He was surprised how it looked too.  We agreed though that my head wouldn't look right shaved.  This has me fearful incase I do go bald.  I really don't want that to happen.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 04:02 AM »
I think it's something that everybody should do at least once, just to find out what it's like.  See what their head looks like, that sort of thing.  First time I ever did it, I shaved it totally bald, Kojak-style.  It was smooth.  That was a trip.

And, as I mentioned in a similar thread about said topic, the minute I discover my hairline receding, it's all coming off.  This is good practice for that.  This way it won't be such of a shock. 

Plus, this helps give me time to tan my scalp for my Lobot costume I'll be debuting at C4 next year.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:18 AM »
Once my hairline started to recede (sp.), I started shaving my head.  I'm pretty thin so it looks pretty cool on (off) me, and it's easy to maintain.

I don't use a razor blade, just use the clippers on the lowest setting.

It's not a big deal like it used to be - most guys are doing it these days. 

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 08:24 AM »
I've never shaved my head bald, but I have shaved it as short as electronic clippers will allow (the "1" setting).  I look like a goofball with my hair that short, but it is a lot easier than dealing with hair.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:31 AM »
I used to shave down with just clippers, but now I shave down with a razor in the shower.  Takes a few minutes, but it looks better.  I was going bald anyway, and this just looks better than those dudes that fight nature.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 09:12 AM »
Working in a 120 degree kitchen, I feel obligated to share that the hair comes off from the months of May thru September.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 09:26 AM »
Funny thing, I still have hair so don't really feel the need to shave my head.   :P 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Oooh.

In college, I totally took the bic razor to my head and shaved it clean.  It was a huge timesaver as MWB has already mentioned, plus I was pretty sure that my bike ride to school in the mornings was a bit faster thanks to the aerodynamics of the bald head vs. head with hair. 

I agree, you really need to try it once in your life, at least.  In fact, if I could get away with it now (ie, if I wasn't whipped  :-[), I'd probably chop off all my hair without any remorse.

Warning, college pic ahead!  (sorry, it's a bit fuzzy, it's a scan - this was before the digital era, you know)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 10:30 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 10:40 AM »
I'm close, but not quite.  I use a #1 clipper and it's a fairly close cut.  Maybe some day I'll go all out and just shave it all off.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 10:41 AM »
I usually cut mine short (#4 on top, #2 on the sides) and the closest I've come is #2 all over

I've never done the full on razor to the head though

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 10:46 AM »
   My head is not smooth, I couldn't do that, I have dents and bumps from hockey injuries (and a jump rope accident in 4th grade, The gym teacher stuck the whole class on 1 Jumprope. ::) long story short my friends tooth went into my head and I needed staples and he had to get a replacement tooth :-X).

Funny thing is I still don't know how they happened, My goalie helmet never came off, now bruises all over the body makes sense, but my Head???

Oh well, No one in my family is bald all the way up to 90 plus years so I don't have to worry.

Smarty

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 10:49 AM »
I've gotten pretty wasted and thought about shaving my head/eyebrows like Pink in The Wall... never actually did it, though, thankfully.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 10:56 AM »
My favorite "shaving my head moment" was a couple years ago, when I thought I'd give myself a little bit of a buzz, using the 4 guard on the clippers.  Just to kind of clean it up a little, you know?  So I start 'er up, and get a couple swaths in, and notice that it's taking a lot longer, and it's hurting like a son of a bitch. 

And that's when I realized I forgot to put the 4 guard on.

:o

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 11:39 AM »
I've never gone all the way, razor to the skin bald - but I've always worn my hair pretty short.  I shave it with clippers as well, and although I have it slightly longer than I did when I played basketball - its still pretty short.  I think the closest I've done was #2 (or maybe #1) all over maybe, and much of our hoops team did it then.  Luckily my wife really likes short hair, so I don't know if she'd really care if I shaved it or not.  She just hates it when I don't cut it regularly.  I agree, shorter works better for me too - easier to manage.  I have always wanted to shave the whole head just once though, to see what it was like.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:40 AM by Brian »