Author Topic: Proper viewing order?  (Read 6576 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Proper viewing order?
« on: June 27, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Coulda sworn we already had this topic somewhere around here--I believe there's an unwritten law in Star Wars message boredom (sic) that every board needs a "proper viewing order" thread--but I couldn't find it.

So now that everything's over and done with, what's the best way to introduce the saga to someone who's never seen one of the movies before?  You know, like a small child or perhaps someone who's been locked away in a medieval dungeon or something for the last thirty years.

Do you go in cinematic order?  IV-V-VI-I-II-III?

Or do you go in chronologic order?  I-II-III-IV-V-VI?

And there's a new order--maybe call it the Pulp Fiction order--which I've seen some people mention elsewhere.  IV-V-I-II-III-VI.  That's kind of interesting--I think the idea there is to show the complete saga, but also preserve the "is Vader really Luke's father?" cliffhanger from Empire.

And this may or may not be a trick question.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Proper viewing order?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:04 PM »
I go:

I-II-CW Volume 1-CW Volume 2-III-IV-V-VI-Ewok Adventure TV Movies

:P

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 01:07 PM »
I don't think I could get a friend to sit down to see the chronological order - I don't know if I would sit through the Prequels again. Cinematic order is much better, cause I can enjoy the OT and then mention without a drop of enthusiasm, "Oh, yea... there are Prequels... you know, if you want to see those, too."

As far as the Clone Wars and Ewok Adventures go... I think I'll spare my friends.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 01:43 PM »
I would show future generations the movies in chronological order (or friends who haven't seen the movies yet). I think it makes much more sense that way because it was confusing even for me to watch the prequels in the theater and try to figure out how things tied into the OT.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Brad almost nailed it.

Here's the steps in correctly introducing someone to the saga:

1.  Throw your Episode I DVD in the garbage .

2.  Do the same with Episode II.

3.  Hang on to your Episode III DVD for the time being.

4.  Show them Episode IV.  The original version is preferred, but the 2004 version is acceptable.

5.  Show them Episode V.  Same protocol as with Episode IV.

6.  Show them Episode VI.  Same protocol as before.

7.  If, and only if, they have any further questions or want to know more about the Obi-Wan/Anakin backstory, show them Episode III.  If they don't, throw your Episode III DVD in the garbage with the others.

Congratulations!  You've just properly introduced a newbie into the world of Star Wars!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:43 PM »
Filthy OT purists >:(
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 03:12 PM »
Filthy OT purists >:(

Gotcha!

I do believe this was posted in the filthy OT message board, "Roton7."

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 04:35 PM »
I have nothing against the boards, just the purists that post here!

Yo is what yo is.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 05:00 PM »

Stop being an OT purist. . .  Risk offending "Roton7". . .  stop being an OT purist or risk offending "Roton7". . .  stop being an OT purist or risk offending "Roton7". . .

Hmmm. . .  that's a toughie. 

I think I'll take my chances and keep on being an OT purist. 

Sorry, "Roton7."

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 05:00 PM by Matthew »

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 01:28 AM »
Showing a newbie IV-III, watching them in order for like 80 hours I-VI. :P
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 02:21 PM »

Stop being an OT purist. . .  Risk offending "Roton7". . .  stop being an OT purist or risk offending "Roton7". . .  stop being an OT purist or risk offending "Roton7". . .

Hmmm. . .  that's a toughie. 

I think I'll take my chances and keep on being an OT purist. 

Sorry, "Roton7."

To each his own, I suppose :P
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 01:18 AM »
I'm not an OT purist but I really do feel that showing them in numerical order is best because, well, it gets the worst out of the way first, and it gets better and better...  For me that's how you make someone enjoy the series.  Beyond E1 I think that all the films have more merits than flaws.  E1...  It's more 50/50 and so pointless really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 01:59 AM »
I'm not an OT purist but I really do feel that showing them in numerical order is best because, well, it gets the worst out of the way first, and it gets better and better...  For me that's how you make someone enjoy the series.  Beyond E1 I think that all the films have more merits than flaws.  E1...  It's more 50/50 and so pointless really.

The thing with showing them chronologically is that not only might they be turned off ('Phantom Menace?' Oh, I just gotsta have more of this!") but it would also ruin some of the key (surpise!) moments from the original trilogy.  (Namely, who's Yoda, Luke and Leia are sisters?, and that Vader is Luke's father.)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 02:06 AM »
True, but I've found that kids (that's what I was basing my opinion on) could give two ***** about the surprises too...

For an adult though I might rethink that.   :-\

For the kids, at least in my experience, they really don't get as into the whole Yoda thing till he's flipping all over the place anyway...  Vader revealing himself had no meaning...  It's maybe just a statement on children in this day and age though compared to "back when I was little..." :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 09:04 PM »
(Namely, who's Yoda, Luke and Leia are sisters?, and that Vader is Luke's father.)

I thought Luke tended to be pretty whiney and weak, esp. in Ep. IV, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him Leia's sister :P
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(