Author Topic: Racism/Prejudice  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Racism/Prejudice
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Let's just say he was in the right place at the right time.

Does that mean that everyone else who gets Comedy Central was in the wrong place at the wrong time?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Anyone who has ever laughed at one of Carlos Mencia or Dave Chappelle's jokes should be strung up.

lets not forget their white hatin' on counterparts jeff foxworthy, larry the cable guy, and those other 2 guys.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 06:24 PM »
lets not forget their white hatin' on counterparts jeff foxworthy, larry the cable guy, and those other 2 guys.

I'm white and I hate those guys too.  I think I'm prejudiced against hicks.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I eliminate the middle man I just hate everybody equally. ;D

Just my 2 cents here but I think I can sum it up in something my dearly departed grandmother told me once.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Rednecks will be rednecks.

You just cant fix stupid. ;)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 11:01 AM »
I'm bothered by racists myself, but oddly enough, I find that I've encountered more of them online than anywhere else I've ever lived.

That is because of the "safety" internet anonymity provides.  Most of these idiots are probably too cowardly to "be racist" in person.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 04:31 PM »
I lived in the bay area growing up, and there was more racism there than there is here in Seattle. 

Funny, last time I was in Seattle a guy down by the stadium laid into me pretty good verbally.  Something about being a white, Nazi loving something or other.  Kind of odd really, considering all I did was not give him any money when he asked for it. 

But then I am white and male, so I can't be a victim of discrimination, either based on ethnicity or gender. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 05:57 PM »
yup sometimes it sucks being part of the dominant gender and ethnicity for your region.  what the hell are white guys supposed to bitch about when things don't go our way?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 10:08 PM »
Taxes.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 10:10 PM »
But then I am white and male, so I can't be a victim of discrimination, either based on ethnicity or gender.

But you better believe you can damn sure be a victim of discrimination based on country of origin.

>:(
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Oh sure, no doubt about it.  I'm finally old enough to chuckle at most of it directed my way but it never feels good, regardless of where it's coming from.  Having travelled a fair bit, I find North America to be relatively non-racist compared to many other countries where it's quite overt.  Perhaps were I African-American I might think differently, but I've not had their experiences.

But you can still see it even when it's less obvious.  In our new neighbourhood two doors over from us an East Indian family moved in and I think my wife and I might be the only people to go over and actively introduce ourselves :-\  I don't think the rest of my neighbours are racist, but they aren't making much of an effort and the family sure seemed to appreciate the gesture. 

Funny side story - my kid has been in a daycare at the University for about three years now.  As you can imagine, lots of "foreign" students and staff, so she's always been in a minority as a white kid at the daycare (though there is no real majority either).  Her first comment coming home from kindergarten was an innocent observation that there were lots of white kids (about 13 of 21 kids).  She was pretty amazed.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I was just going for a cheap "you're from Canada" joke, and you have to turn it around and get all serious on me.

:-\

Thanks a lot, Morgbug.  Now I guess I'll just have to discriminate against you based on your ****-ass sense of humor.

>:(

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:46 PM by Matthew »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Yeah, missed that one.  Sorry.

prick. :-*

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 06:34 PM »
its a little off topic, but the guy who is my main contact on this job is named Ray Sissom. 

his badge says james sissom on it, so its at least partially his decision to go by Ray.  should i just immediately judge him as a probable *******?  he seems like a real nice guy, but then again i am a white male from texas, so i may get preferential treatment.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 08:41 PM »
Perhaps were I African-American I might think differently, but I've not had their experiences.

You just reminded me of something I read the other day...

(just the first part)

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=your_stupid_ideas

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 1, 2006, 06:31 PM »

You just reminded me of something I read the other day...

(just the first part)

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=your_stupid_ideas

That was funny.

What term precisely then, if you must refer to the person by their ethnicity rather than their name, should we use?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda