Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 193356 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #1140 on: July 24, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Yeah, the Pro Shots line is from Upper Deck.  I don't know if they have anyone other than Tiger and Jordan planned, as all I've seen/heard about it is one Tiger and one Jordan each in Waves 1-4.

I also read somewhere that Gentle Giant had something to do with these... I can't recall if they did the scanning or the sculpting or what?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 31, 2008, 03:06 AM »
I saw the new NFL legends at retail a couple of days ago.  Notably Jack Lambert.  And on cardboard cardbacks.  What gives?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 31, 2008, 11:08 AM »
I saw the new NFL legends at retail a couple of days ago.  Notably Jack Lambert.  And on cardboard cardbacks.  What gives?

Cost cutting?
Retro feel?
Look similar to Starting Line-Ups?
Drive up sales as people who collect them in package want the most minty cards they can.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 9, 2008, 01:33 AM »
A bunch of stores near me just got inundated with Brett Favre on the new cardback.  And in a Packers uni.  They didn't seem to be selling earlier in the week.  But given recent news, that could change rather suddenly.

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1144 on: August 9, 2008, 08:30 AM »
I may actually get another Jets figure now.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1145 on: September 19, 2008, 10:11 PM »
Not the Joe Namath figure i want but its better than nothing.

Brett as a Jet

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 30, 2008, 03:27 PM »
I've been seeing some more NFL figures out there.  Saw the boxed versions of Favre and TO.  Also saw carded Jamarcus Russell, Reggie Bush and Randy Moss.  Basically I'm passing until the Brandon Jacobs figure hits.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 30, 2008, 03:43 PM »
I've been seeing some more NFL figures out there.  Saw the boxed versions of Favre and TO.  Also saw carded Jamarcus Russell, Reggie Bush and Randy Moss.  Basically I'm passing until the Brandon Jacobs figure hits.

Is this the first they've been out down south?  Favre/TO have been out for nearly three weeks here, same with the Legends NFL and the new series of figures.  No AP to be found around here, but no surprise there given it is a big Vikings town.

Anyone else willing to predict the downfall of TMP?  I can't see it lasting all that much longer.  Don't dig the new variations, don't like the cardboard backer cards and I'm pissed about how short packed Parent was (and I mean just the regular Flyers version, not the pointless Leafs chase). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 30, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I only started seeing the current carded figures about a week or so ago.  Legends has been out for about a month or more.

Feedback

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: October 2, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Yeah, the Pro Shots line is from Upper Deck.  I don't know if they have anyone other than Tiger and Jordan planned, as all I've seen/heard about it is one Tiger and one Jordan each in Waves 1-4.

I also read somewhere that Gentle Giant had something to do with these... I can't recall if they did the scanning or the sculpting or what?

The first Jordan set is available to order from EE.com:

Pro Shots Jordan Set

Sculpts look kind of wonky...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: October 15, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Saw the NHL series 19 at Zellers today, the face on Don Cherry is just awful & that packing sucks with the cardboard backer. Meh!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: October 31, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Much to my surprise, I found an AP sportspick at TRU :o  Just hanging there on the pegs and this is a big Vikings town. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 3, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Poking around the Spawn board, I saw a thread indicating the traditional chase figures, those with alternate jerseys are coming back.  Apparently there was an announcement that the "tweaked" versions weren't well received by the consuming public. 

Tweaks were, of course, the fairly lame and minor variations on the figures.  Granted they were hard to spot so the pure scalpers had a much, much harder time but they didn't generate any interest either.  For example the tweak on the Peterson figure is black wristbands instead of the normal white wristbands.  Jeter was a clean versus dirty version.  Ooooooooooooooh, highly desirable. 

Now, all they need to do is bring out a Legends Kirby Puckett and I'm done with the toyline completely. 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1153 on: November 3, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I like the traditional chase figures better but not the super chase figures. I still need a Chrebet w/o helmet.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 12, 2008, 10:21 PM »
Saw the new NBA Hardwood Classics figures at our TRU today.  I gotta say, they were absolutely hideous.  Bird, Gervin, Erving, Ewing and a couple of other dudes.  I should have, by all rights, walked out with Bird and Erving minimum and probably would have grabbed an Iceman as well.  But they really looked that bad and smaller in scale compared to the earlier releases.  McFarlane is seriously in the toilet.