Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 192863 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2003, 11:51 AM »
Bah, no pictures of the NHL stuff that I haven't already seen.  Need to know if Selanne will be in his Jets uniform as a chase fig.  There was a rumour, but it was waaaaay pre-production.  There would be huge demand here in Winnipeg for that figure.  

Not so keen on NHL5 either.  Hossa is great as are the flashback uni's but the rest are sort of meaningless to me.  Interesting to note that Cloutier is in the old Brodeur post - biggest 5-hole ever ;)  Aw, that wasn't nice of me, was it?

Thoughts on football?  NFL6, will it be as hot as NFL5?  Order any cases?  I'll probably grab one if I can.  Same for NFL7.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2003, 04:55 PM »
I'm not too keen on Alexander being in NFL 6.  I already pre-ordered a case.  I'll probably also order a case of NFL 7.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2003, 12:05 PM »
MLB 5 is out now cause there are a ton of Torii Hunters on eBay.  Looks like there are two variants one with red numbers and Grey Pants

and one with Twins instead of Minnesota on the jersey.  If he has a TC hat I want that one too, all the auctions only show his Jersey

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2003, 12:44 PM »
The Twins one is the chase figure.  The Minnesota version is common.  You might want to try checking some local WalMarts, as that's where they've been showing up.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2003, 12:52 PM »
There is a variant though on the Minnesota version, one with Red Numbers and Grey Pants, which are their Road Uni's.  The Twins version is their alternate Home Uni which should have the TC Cap instead of the M

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2003, 05:42 PM »
I saw one Torii in a pile of about 100 Ichiro's this morning at Walmart.  I went ahead and snagged him for ya' Scott, just in case he's one of the odd variants you want.  I'll have to look at him again when I get home to figure out if he is or not.  I know nothing about Sportspicks, so color me stupid.  Expensive little buggers these guys are though!

I'm sure the one I found is just the regular version.  No worries if it is - I'll just return it....   :-*  I'll let you know for sure which it is later...
« Last Edit: June 1, 2003, 03:41 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2003, 11:55 PM »
Well, count yourself lucky you got him at WalMart.  A lot of a SP collector's time is spent at places like EB and Gamestop, and they routinely charge $11.99 or $12.99 for Sports Picks.  $9.99 or so is a bargain in this line.  Especially if you can find a variant.

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: June 1, 2003, 03:39 AM »
OK, so it looks like I'm right, and this is the one that I picked up for you Scott:

Grey pants, red number 48, "Minnesota" on jersey, and an "M" on the cap.  LMK if you've got any other questions about it, and if it's actually something you need or not.  It ran me a total of $10.42 at WM with tax.  I've got my receipt, so I can return it any time no problem if you don't need it...   :-*

And Brent, are you still looking for that Paul Pierce, or did you finally find one.  I've never seen one yet myself, but always keep an eye out for him for ya' though!  LMK if I should stop hunting for him or not.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2003, 03:43 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 1, 2003, 08:08 AM »
I saw the Super Bowl exclusives yesterday at Wizard World in Philly.  A dealer wanted $175 for Ladainian Tomlinson and Junior Seau as a set.  Still way too rich for my blood.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #39 on: June 1, 2003, 11:23 AM »
Sweet!  Thanks Matt...I'll take it and when you get the Star Tour Droids you can ship it all together...

Cue Golden Girls Theme... :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: June 1, 2003, 03:14 PM »
Sweet!  Thanks Matt...I'll take it and when you get the Star Tour Droids you can ship it all together...

Cool, so I actually scored, huh?!   8)

Sounds good.  I'll hang on to it 'til I fire off your ST R5's.  But if you happen to stumble across the same Torii in the meantime, go ahead and pick it up for yourself, as I can still return mine any ol' time, no problem.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 2, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Oh sure, when I'm looking for a Pierce you can't find one (truly an unlikely story - can't find a Celtic figure in La La land).  But when Minnesota boy wants a baseball fig, you find it lickety split.  Sure, fine, I get it.  Staff first :-* ;D

Sith Lord Cosmo, what do you collect in this line?

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 2, 2003, 05:56 PM »
I'm liking this thread :)  I collect only NHL.  I will pick up NFL or MBA variants to trade if I find them.  I tried that with MLB variants, but it was too much trouble to trade them.  Its too bad about baseball, I think they've got some really cool poses like Griffey and Hunter

For NHL I have

NHL 1:
All, plus these variants
Red Yzerman
White Yzerman
Cujo
Roy
Avs Bourque

NHL2:
All regular and variants

NHL 3:
All regular and variants

NHL 4
All regular and variants except white Kovalchuk

Misc
NHL Hitz Pronger
Red Wings 3 Pack

Here's some pictures of my collection

Sadly I cannot afford to keep collecting both the regulars and variants, so I'm ebaying my variants soon and will stick with the regulars, and variants of Red Wings players.  McFarlane is supposed to release 3 sets of NHL this year, and my wallet just can't take it
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 2, 2003, 08:53 PM »
Sith Lord Cosmo, LMK when you're dumping your variants I may be interested.  Given I have around 500 posts over at Spawn, I understand how that world works, so I'm sure we can come to an agreement ;)

I'm sort of in the same boat, though I'll probably be unloading my regs and variants of the skaters while keeping all the goalies.  I'll keep a few skaters that I really like and that's about it.  It's your Avs Bourque I'm more interested in than anything else.  

If you need help with NHL5, LMK.  I can do the regs for cost and shipping easy enough.  You'd be #3 on the list for the variants and I also need to trade some for a black Vick and a couple of purple Culpeppers ::) :o  I have two cases of NHL5 on order (well, depends if the retailer - McToys.ca - gets shorted on his order).  Only variants I'll probably keep are Roy, Cloutier and Sakic.  Possibly a Messier or Hossa.  Oh wait, that's most of them 8)  Still, I usually find around 5 at retail, so as long as the orders are the same as they usually are, I should be able to help a bit.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 2, 2003, 09:30 PM »
I can definitely appreciate your situation Cosmo.  I used to buy a lot of Sports Picks.  But now, I limit myself to players I like, the odd variation, local players, and most of the NFL line.

I haven't bought a single NBA figure for myself, just to trade to friends.  I've been debating getting the NHL5 line.  I'd like to get Roy, Messier and Domi, but I just don't know for certain that I'm going to do it.  McFarlane has said they'll guarantee 1 variant for every whole set that gets ordered, but it's starting to seem more like work than fun to get these.

As for the NFL line, I saw the Super Bowl set at a show in Philadelphia this weekend.  A dealer wanted $200 for them initially.  He then said $175.  I would've gone for it, but I just didn't have the cash available.  What's the top price most of you guys would pay for the Super Bowl set?

Feedback