Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 193415 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #45 on: June 2, 2003, 10:46 PM »
Nicklab, same goes for you.  I can't necessarily promise anything with respect to variants, but if there are just a few regs you need, I'll happily help you out C&S.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 3, 2003, 12:43 AM »
I appreciate the gesture.  Thanks!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 3, 2003, 01:18 PM »
Thanks for the offer Morgbug.  I'm going to just order a set from the Spawn Store though and I'll probably just offer up the variant I get at cost to whoever wants it

It really bums me out to get rid of my variants, but its just gotten too tough to put a set together.  My side of town is lucky if they get 10 cases of hockey in total.  I just don't have time to drive around trying to find the NHL variants, and look for other variants for trade.  Back in the days of NHL 1 & 2 and NFL 1 & 2 I had great luck.  One day I found a no helmet Emmitt and 2 no helmet Culpeppers at the same time :  I also found a total of 3 Red Yzermans.  It also helped that I did recieving for a store that carried Sportspicks ;)
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 3, 2003, 01:38 PM »
Not sure where you are but where I am the competition is intense.  I admit to being a newbie relative to sportspicks, so in a sense, I am part of the problem you and other older collectors face.  I'm in Winnipeg and at least one of our Walmarts received nearly 50 cases of NHL4.  I've seen yelling, shoving matches and at least one fist fight.  It's just kooky.  Football is far worse up here as the number of cases received is very small in comparison.  At least with hockey, there's enough to go around, but not many guys are very cool about sharing.  One guy even had his wife and kid stand between him and the cases and the rest of us with her blocking us as he grabbed variants.  

I remember passing on a repaint Cujo and Roy because I had both NHLPA versions and didn't want to drop the money on duplicates ::)  I know I've passed up early football variants too.  Oh well, live and learn.  

If you're just after the regs, the Spawn store is probably the way to go.  I never heard if they clarified but do those cases have the complete set including both Roy and Messier?  Is so that's pretty nice.  Roy will be the tough one for me.  I need the reg and the variant and would like to get one or the other for my wife's office (big Habs fan).  I'd also like to grab one for a buddy's kid who is a huge Patrick Roy fan (he's only 6).  I just hope our Walmarts don't underorder because of the summer delivery date.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 3, 2003, 02:06 PM »
Roy seems to be the big question mark for a couple of series.  He was announced for NHl5 and one other series, but his retirement may change things.  After all, they've only be able to make players who are currently active.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 3, 2003, 03:17 PM »
Yeah, I've seen those discussions ongoing over at Spawn.com.  My feeling is that they have to already be into production for NHL5 since the release should only be 4-8 weeks away (8 if they release at the end of July).  I expect they may have begun shipping to the warehouse already so I think he will be in NHL5.  Add to that it's a retro figure in the sense that he's in his Canadiens uniform, so no sense cancelling that.  

The later series (7?) being cancelled makes more sense though.  No real need for a new Colorado jersey version since he retired.  In certain respects I would like to see that cancelled and have him replaced with Lalime or Gigeure.  Lalime is my personal pick but it's hard to argue with Gigeure given his playoff performance.  

I'd also like to see them dump the Cujo fig.  I like Cujo and don't think he sucks like lots of people do.  But I have four versions of him already: NHLPA, repaint, Team Canada and home Detroit.  I guess the away and third jersey would make sense for the new figure (new sculpt?) but I'd really rather see both Lalime and Gigeure get figures this year.  I'm probably one of Cujo's bigger fans and have thought of him as an exceptional goalie from the time he was with the blues, but worth six individual uniform variations?  Not likely.  Time will tell I suppose.  

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 3, 2003, 04:10 PM »
I agree, Giguere definitely has come to the forefront.  And with Roy's retirement, I can definitely see Giguere as being a viable candidate to take his place in NHL7.

Feedback

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 3, 2003, 05:43 PM »
If you order from the spawn store, you don't get a case.  You get a set of the figures plus 1 variant

The "new" Roy is supposed to be in NHL 6.  My guess is if McFarlane is allowed to make him they will.  Its a pretty sure bet that it would be a hot seller.  Not a lot of people have the Roy variant from NHL 1, he's a popular player, and with him retiring "investors" will probably be trying to get him

The Cujo that's supposed to come in NHL 7 will be a new pose, so it will just be the home and away jersey, since the Wings don't have a 3rd jersey.  I'm not sure how I feel about another Cujo.  On one hand, the Wings are my favorite team, so I always like seeing more Wings players.  But, do I really need another one?  In the end it doesn't matter, I'll buy him anyway ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 3, 2003, 11:24 PM »
Yeah, couldn't remember 6 or 7 for Roy.  Thanks for the clarification.  No doubt there will be demand, I just don't need it I guess.

Didn't know the Wings didn't have a third jersey :-[  Still, six Cujo's is too many for me.  He'll be in anyway.  Guess we'll have to wait for NHL8 for Gigeure and Lalime.  Not even convinced Lalime will get a figure, though I would say through the regular season he was 1 or 2 with Brodeur.  

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 3, 2003, 11:41 PM »
I don't get why we're getting so many of certain players.  Seems a might unfair to a lot of the hardworking guys in the NHL.  CuJo has gotten a pretty fair shake in the line so far.  Do we really need another?  Especially another Red Wing?  How many do we have at this point?  Can we at least get some players from the teams that are actually in the Stanley Cup Finals?!

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 4, 2003, 01:02 AM »
But who do you make?  Kariya has been repainted and is largely invisible scoring wise this series.  The goal scorers for the ducks are non-entities beyond that with an exception or two?  Steve Thomas?  Gigeure is a no brainer, but I think they announced the lineups for series 6 + 7 before his playoff run.  

And who do you make from the Devils?  Nieuwendyk?  Old, done.  How about Brodeur?  Well, he's been in series 1 and us Canuckleheads have the Team Canada version (though mine has a bent peg >:()

I totally agree though that lots of deserving guys are being passed up.  There was a good thread for a long time at Spawn on that.  At one point I tallied the votes, but don't remember who was tops anymore.  

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 4, 2003, 12:18 PM »
While there are 4 Cjujo's out right now, and soon to be 6, consider that only two versions of CuJo were easy to find

NHLPA: Easy to find, but I thought the NHLPA figures were lame without the team logos
NHL 1: One of the easier NHL 1 variants to find, but it still wasn't easy to get, by any means
Team Canada: Easy to find, if you're in Canada.
Red Wings 3 Pack: Easy to find, but you have to pay $30

I wouldn't mind seeing a Lalime instead of Cujo, but I'm not going to complain.  As far as Giguere and Turco go, I'd like to see them establish themselves a little more before they get a figure.

I remember the thread at Spawn that you're talking about Morgbug, I think Naslund was the winner, and he's getting a figure.  I think right now Gabroik is pretty popular.  I wouldn't mind seeing a figure of him either

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 4, 2003, 12:19 PM »
For the Devils, I would think these guys...

Elias
Madden
Gomez
Nieuwendyk

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: June 5, 2003, 11:28 PM »
Hey is Hunter short packed or something?  Atlanta Wal-Marts had cases of the new figures and absolutely 0 Hunters in any of the cases.  Very few Burrells and Kendalls as well

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 6, 2003, 12:51 PM »
I've seen numerous Torri Hunter's around here.  And I spent time taking notice of one thing...

The regular version, with Minnesota on the Jersey has Minnesota in white with red outlining; the numbers are red with white outlining; and the hat has the M

If anyone's been scarce in this wave, at least around here, it's been the Yankees, Giambi in A's uniform, Schilling in Phillie's uniform, Tejada and Kendell

Feedback