Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 193402 times)

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #855 on: September 11, 2006, 06:37 PM »
if the Sportspick line includes Joe Mauer, how bout other guys that are having career years. I mean look at Freddy Sanchez of the Pittsburgh Pirates, he was only supposed to be a back-up now he looks like he's going to win the batting title in the NL. Does he deserve an SP?? It's better if McFarlane waits on guys like Mauer or Sanchez to see if they can duplicate or have a decent performance the year after to gauge what will sell and what won't. Keep in mind Twins have a very good team but they are in a small situation just like the Pirates. It's one of the reasons why teams like the Twins, Royals, Pirates, etc don't have as many sportspicks as the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, & Red Sox...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 11, 2006, 07:32 PM »
So Verlander deserves it then over Mauer?  Or Liriano?  Yeah, Liriano was injured for a while, but he's pitched as much as Verlander this year.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 11, 2006, 09:34 PM »
So Verlander deserves it then over Mauer?  Or Liriano?  Yeah, Liriano was injured for a while, but he's pitched as much as Verlander this year.   ;)

That's not really the case, Verlander has pitched 172 innings and is qualified to be among the leaders in Wins and ERA with his amount of work, Liriano has pitched just 119 and has not pitched enough for his stats to qualify among the leaders.

I do think Liriano is a better pitcher than Verlander however, hands down.  And you know if Liriano repeats next year, he'll be glorified in plastic as well.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 11, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Spotted some of NFL Legends 2 today.  It seems that Jim Brown and Walter "Sweetness" Payton are the ones to get.  I definitely like that they did "Mean" Joe Greene.  Who doesn't remember that Coca Cola commercial with him?  I understand getting Ronnie Lott and Joe Montana in there, but they don't hold a lot of interest for me.  At least not unless there's a Joe Montana/Jim Burt 2-pack with Burt laying him out!  As a fan of the game I understand getting Ray Nitschke in there, but how many people are REALLY going to know him?  Sure, he was one of the guards in the original "The Longest Yard", but are that many old school Packer fans going to be picking that one up?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 12, 2006, 10:13 PM »
I found NFL Legends 2 a few days ago and I decided that the way McFarlane released the NFL figures this year is stupid.  I don't want a bunch of old geezers on the pegs Week 1 of the season, I want today's stars.  Legends should be released in the offseason or something when nobody is excited about football anyway.  That, and the Legends don't ******* move for ****.  They're gonna sit on the pegs all season long.  Young folks don't want a Ronnie Lott figure right now.  They want Reggie Bush and they want Larry Johnson, and everyone else that they may have seen go ape**** during Week 1.  Not Jim Brown and Joe Greene.  But I'm sure my parent's friends might appreciate those figures.

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 14, 2006, 01:41 AM »
I hear ya Dressel...I can't wait for the upcoming set to come out (I'm looking forard to picking up Tedy Bruschi and the TRU exclusive NE Patriots 3 pack (Brady, Dillon, Bruschi)...

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 14, 2006, 10:27 AM »
I found NFL Legends 2 a few days ago and I decided that the way McFarlane released the NFL figures this year is stupid.  I don't want a bunch of old geezers on the pegs Week 1 of the season, I want today's stars.  Legends should be released in the offseason or something when nobody is excited about football anyway.  That, and the Legends don't ******* move for ****.  They're gonna sit on the pegs all season long.  Young folks don't want a Ronnie Lott figure right now.  They want Reggie Bush and they want Larry Johnson, and everyone else that they may have seen go ape**** during Week 1.  Not Jim Brown and Joe Greene.  But I'm sure my parent's friends might appreciate those figures.

Good point and I totally agree, then again when has McF done ANYTHING sensible... Thanks for reminding me that Bush is coming out this year. That's another reg/variant set i'll need to add to the collection...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 14, 2006, 01:42 PM »
The timing is definitely off.  Legends 2 should have been released around the time of the Hall of Fame game and inductions.  That's really the peak of NFL nostalgia for the year.  The first regular wave should be out now, but I get the feeling that the street date for these lines had more to do with retail resets than coordinating with the start of the NFL season.  Most retail resets start in late August in preparation for the back to school season.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 15, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Picked up Magic today.  It was a regional case.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 15, 2006, 03:47 PM »
So basketball and football legends are both out down south?  Hmm, wonder if I can duplicate the success I had with the last NBA Legends series.  I found every variant save Wilt and found three of Dr. J.  Also managed to find Bird after I'd traded for him. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 15, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I guess we can expect NFL 13 sometime in the next 2 weeks.

2 more points though about Bruschi, I think it's silly that they are releasing him in a regular wave and at the same time in a Patriots 3 pack.  I kinda feel screwed out of a figure there.  I think we're gonna see a lot of him on the pegs. 

The other thing is the pole or stick that supports jumping or diving figures.  Don't you guys think these could be made out of something less offensive and obvious like a clear translucent plastic?  I actually avoid almost all NBA figures and any diving or jumping NFL or MLB figure because I hate it when the figure is suspended from a black metal pole.  It looks really really bad.

Also, last year we got 8-9 figures per wave, now we're getting only 6 per wave.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:05 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 15, 2006, 08:37 PM »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 15, 2006, 08:40 PM »
  I think we're gonna see a lot of him on the pegs. 

Not up here we're not.  As for the 3 pack,  I know why they did it - Vinateiri was originally going to be the 3rd Pat, until he went and signed with the Colts.  Bruschi was a last minute addition.  I'm not buying the three pack and will just wait for the single pack of Tedy.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 16, 2006, 08:05 PM »
I saw the 'sweetness' and Lott yesterday. Being a long term
49er fan I contemplated at getting the Lott  but then, for whatever reason decided against... will probably pick them up after they go on clearance when the 'today's stars' finally hit.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 18, 2006, 01:22 AM »
NBA Legends 2 chase:

NFL 13 chase: