Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 194109 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #1125 on: June 16, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Bird looks horrible, but I may still buy it anyway. 

Agreed.  I mean, Bird always looks horrible, but they can at least make it look like him.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 28, 2008, 03:10 PM »
NHL Legends 7. Release date, October 2008.

Stan Mikita.

Gordie Howe 2.

Maurice "Rocket" Richard.

Doug Gilmour (Toronto Maple Leafs).

Doug Gilmour (Calgary Flames).

Mark Messier 3 (New York Rangers).

Mark "The Moose" Messier 3 (Edmonton Oilers).

I'm all up for a Mark "The Moose" Messier in Oilers uniform.  :-*

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 28, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Both of those Messier's are pretty cool.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Spawn is reporting...

MCFARLANE TOYS TEAMS UP WITH TOYS 'R' US FOR OPENING DAY 2009
Exclusive Figures and 3-packs Kick off Baseball Season Next February
July 11, 2008
Copyright 2008 TMP International, Inc.
The signs of spring include warmer temperatures, flowers blooming and new MLB Sports Picks figures arriving at Toys 'R' Us. McFarlane Toys is proud to offer the start of our 2009 MLB series with a six-figure series alongside a pair of 3-packs. These items will be available exclusively at Toys 'R' Us in February 2009. Let's take a look at our "leadoff hitters" for next season:

Dustin Pedroia - Boston Red Sox 2B: "Pedroia the Destroya" took over as
Boston's second baseman in 2007, claiming the American League Rookie of the Year award while helping Boston win the World Series. Pedroia has continued his roll in 2008, being voted in as the American League's starting second baseman for the All-Star Game.

Chipper Jones 2 - Atlanta Braves 3B: Injuries and inconsistency have plagued Atlanta's 2008 season thus far, but Chipper Jones has been the brightest star on the Braves' roster. Atlanta's longtime third baseman has battled through injuries and is flirting with hitting .400 - a feat no player has accomplished since Ted Williams.

Miguel Cabrera - Detroit Tigers 1B: One of the most talented young players in baseball, Cabrera found himself on the move this off-season. Detroit offered prospects Florida could not resist, and the always-dangerous Cabrera arrived in the Motor City as the Tigers' newest slugger.

Melky Cabrera - New York Yankees CF: Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman believes in building from within, and Melky Cabrera is part of New York's core of homegrown young talent. Cabrera continues the trend of Yankees center fielders with range (following Johnny Damon and Bernie Williams) but also brings an absolute cannon arm to New York's defensive lineup.

Carlos Zambrano - Chicago Cubs SP: "The Big Z" was scheduled to be one of the true gems of the free agent market, but Chicago made sure their ace never entertained thoughts of leaving Wrigley. Zambrano signed a long-term contract extension, and is currently anchoring Chicago's rotation as they set their sights on a World Series title.

Justin Upton - Arizona Diamondbacks RF: Good things come to those who wait, but Justin Upton was in a big hurry to get to the big leagues. Arizona's right fielder is one of baseball's youngest stars, and expects to anchor Arizona's offense for many years to come.

In addition to these single-carded figures, Toys 'R' Us will be showcasing a pair of 3-packs as part of their Opening Day lineup:

New York Yankees defensive 3-pack: Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez 2 & Jorge Posada 3
They may be the "Bronx Bombers," but the Yankees can pick it with the best of them. Jeter and A-Rod feature classic poses with updated pinstripe paint jobs, while Jorge Posada takes over a brand new pose.

Jackie Robinson Day tribute 3-pack: Jackie Robinson, Ken Griffey Jr. 3 & Robinson Cano
Major League Baseball honors Jackie Robinson each year, celebrating the day he debuted for the Brooklyn Dodgers, breaking baseball's color barrier and launching his Hall of Fame career. Ken Griffey Jr. requested to wear Robinson's uniform #42 out of respect, and MLB opened the doors for all players to wear #42 on that day only, as a way for today's stars to honor one of baseball's greatest legends. This three-pack features Ken Griffey Jr. in a new pose and wearing Cincinnati uniform #42, Robinson Cano in Yankee uniform #42 (Cano was named for Jackie Robinson), and Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn's classic white uniform.

Look for this series and both 3-packs in Toys 'R' Us stores next February, alongside Cooperstown Series 6. Stay tuned to McFarlane.com for pictures of these figures in the coming weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Could Todd be taking up the @$$ and more with all the damn Yankees crap he puts out. Yet another Yankee's 3 pack (that is like their 3rd or 4th Multi-Figure Pack), and then adding Cano to the Griffey Jr & Robinson 3-Pack (Yes I know that Cano is named after Jackie Robinson); I just don't agree with it.

I am not intentionally poking at the Yankees, but McFarlane originally stated that he would attempt to spread out the players and teams so that way fans of all teams would get stuff, but if we look at the totals they are way off.

Boston -
   Regular Figures - 18
   Multi-Packs - 3 (1/2 of a set Jeter/Garciapara 2 pack & 1/2 of a set Pujols/Schilling)
   Chase Figures -  16
   Exclusives - 2 (Jason Veritek w/Umpire & David Ortiz Collectors Edition)

New York Yankees
   Regular Figures - 27
   Multi-Packs - 3  (1/2 of a set Jeter/Garciapara 2 pack & 1/2 of a set Bonds/Ruth)
   Chase Figures -  16
   Exclusives - 9 (3" Don Mattingly, Cooperstown Babe Ruth, Cooperstown Micky Mantle, Roger Clemens Collectors Edition, FANFEST 08: DEREK JETER, FANFEST 08: DON MATTINGLY, MLB 2-PACK: MICKEY MANTLE & ROGER MARIS, MARIANO RIVERA COLLECTOR'S EDITION,  & Berra/Posada Give-a-way on 8/27/05)

None of the other teams except for Houston, St. Louis, or LA Dodgers come close to these numbers, and even if you combine those 3 teams they still don't equal that number.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 14, 2008, 05:26 PM »
If it's any consolation, they do the same thing in other sports as well.  Lakers/Celtics in basketball, but hockey is bloody hideous - Leafs, Avs and Red Wings are almost always present in every series.  I get that they have larger market shares, like the Yankees, but a bad player on a popular team or the thirteenth version of some guy who is a star still isn't going to be that popular.  When you're stretching and putting out Tie Domi, you know the pickings are slim.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 14, 2008, 05:40 PM »
Brent speaks the truth.  Certain teams have just been favored in the Sports Picks line.  They tend to be the major market teams in the NFL, MLB and NBA lines. 

And certain players have been done quite a bit.  Witness Ladainian Tomlinson being up to his 6th sports pick figure.

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1131 on: July 15, 2008, 08:27 AM »
I won't agree that they favor the larger markets becuase the Jets don't really get any love. They do tend t do the same figures over and over again but i dont think its the market that determines it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1132 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25 PM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:26 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 20, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I won't agree that they favor the larger markets becuase the Jets don't really get any love. They do tend t do the same figures over and over again but i dont think its the market that determines it.

The Jets haven't gotten much love over the past few years primarily because the team has been weak.  Make the Jets contenders in the AFC East and I think you'll see them get some love in the Sports Picks line.  But as long as they continue to be whipping boys for the Patriots, they're going to get overlooked by McFarlane.  The Pats on the other hand don't get overlooked.  How many versions of Brady have there been?  There's also been Tedy Bruschi, Corey Dillon and Adam Vinatieri made.  And now Randy Moss as a Pat is on the way as is another version of Brady.

When the Jets were in contention they got sports picks figures:  Pennington, Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet.  But that's not the case anymore.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:43 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 20, 2008, 01:41 PM »

When the Jets were in contention they got sports picks figures:  Pennington, Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet.  But that's not the case anymore.

Mawae too.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 20, 2008, 04:26 PM »
True.  Who can forget the first center that was ever done in the line?  But I don't think it's a great example since Mawae was much more limited in release than any of the other Jets.  And it's actually been a good number of years since even Mawae came out.

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1136 on: July 21, 2008, 09:14 AM »

The Jets haven't gotten much love over the past few years primarily because the team has been weak. 

Thats my point. It doesnt matter what market the team is in. It seems they pick their figures on who is doing well.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 21, 2008, 11:38 AM »

The Jets haven't gotten much love over the past few years primarily because the team has been weak. 

Thats my point. It doesnt matter what market the team is in. It seems they pick their figures on who is doing well.

If that were true then why hasn't the been a Justin Morneau after he won the MVP 2 years ago? Cause there sure as hell won't be a pose after he won the HR derby. It took them 2 years after Mauer won the Batting championship to get a figure (in a catching pose).

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 21, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Spawn.com -

COOPERSTOWN SERIES 6 ANNOUNCED!
Sports Picks Line a Sure Hit with Collectors
July 18, 2008
Copyright 2008 TMP International, Inc.
McFarlane Toys is proud to present the sixth series of our Cooperstown Collection. This set features a different look at one of the game's most dominant sluggers, a pair of Kansas City legends, the best mustache in baseball history, the picture of Texas-sized determination, and "the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

LOU GEHRIG: New York's powerhouse first baseman dominated the American League for 14 full seasons, amassing the fifth-most RBI in history. The enduring legacy of the "Iron Horse" was his consecutive games played streak, which started on June 1, 1925, and lasted 2,130 games. Gehrig was a two-time MVP and won six World Series for New York, but is perhaps best-known for his farewell address at Yankee Stadium. Just two months removed from his retirement from the game, Gehrig stepped to the microphone on July 4, 1939. Having been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (commonly referred to as "Lou Gehrig's disease") he addressed the crowd in a moving speech, referring to himself as "the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

GEORGE BRETT: Kansas City's dominant third baseman delivered 21 brilliant seasons - taking the Royals to the playoffs seven times and winning a title in 1985. He was a 13-time All-Star, a Gold Glove winner, and a three-time batting champion, but Brett did his most damage in 1980. His season included a 37-game hit streak, and a 2-for-4 day left him hitting .400 on Sept. 19 - just 14 games away from becoming the first player to hit .400 since Ted Williams in 1941. Brett's pace slowed down a touch (ending the year hitting .390) but he took home the MVP award, eliminated the rival Yankees in the ALCS and led the Royals to the World Series.

ROLLIE FINGERS: With a mustache that would make any movie villain proud, Fingers confounded hitters for 17 seasons with Oakland, San Diego and Milwaukee. One of the best pure relievers in MLB history, Fingers piled up 341 saves (10th all-time) and pulled off a rare double-dip in 1981, winning the A.L. Cy Young and MVP awards. He was at his best during Oakland's dynasty in the early 1970s, appearing in 16 World Series games and stifling the competition with a 1.35 ERA, two wins and six saves while the A's rattled off three straight championships.

BABE RUTH 2: Babe Ruth is synonymous with the home run - having led the A.L. in homers 12 times, and holding the single-season and all-time home run records for several decades each. Ironically, George Herman Ruth first made a big impression on the mound; he was a standout pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, winning 89 games over six seasons, including 23 wins in 1916 and 24 wins the next season. In the 1916 World Series, Ruth allowed a first-inning inside-the-park home run to Brooklyn Robins (look it up) center fielder Hy Myers, before silencing the opposing lineup for the next 13 innings - Boston won the game 2-1 and went on the win the World Series four games to one. Ruth emerged as an irreplaceable slugger, but still managed to get some pitching in after becoming a Yankee in 1920. Ruth pitched in five games for New York over the years, and while the rust showed (5.51 career ERA as a Yankee) he managed to win all five games he appeared in with New York.

BO JACKSON: Jackson's phenomenal talent was on full display in the 1989 All-Star Game. Kansas City's left fielder crushed a leadoff home run off Rick Reuschel, and followed that up with an RBI groundout to give the American League a 3-2 lead. Jackson promptly stole second base, as well as singling off Tim Burke to lead off the fourth inning. He was named the game's MVP in the middle of his best season - he hit 32 homers with 26 steals and 105 RBI in 1989. Bo also played running back for the Los Angeles Raiders, and became the first athlete to play in the All-Star Game in two major sports. A 1991 hip injury against the Bengals forced hip replacement surgery, but Bo's baseball career continued - he played two seasons with the White Sox and one with the Angels before retiring in 1994.

NOLAN RYAN 3: Nolan Ryan took the mound on Saturday, Sept. 8, 1990 to face the Kansas City Royals. He set the Royals down in order with two strikeouts and a pop-up in the first inning, and leaned in to face Bo Jackson to lead off the second inning. The Royals' cleanup hitter (also the Raiders' starting running back) tore into the first pitch, sending a comebacker straight back towards the mound. The baseball smashed into Ryan's chin, but the veteran pitcher recovered in time to throw out the speedy Royal at first. With his chin split open and bleeding heavily, and his team 16.5 games out of the playoff hunt with 23 left to play, Ryan made an impressive decision. He stepped back onto the mound and looked in for the next signal from catcher Mike Stanley. Ryan would throw seven innings that day, allowing one run on three hits while striking out eight batters. He got a no-decision, but his choice to stay in the game became the picture of "Texas tough" and a true highlight of his Hall of Fame career.

Series six of the Cooperstown Collection features seven figures (Babe Ruth will be available as a Red Sox and a Yankee) and is scheduled to arrive on shelves in February 2009. Stay tuned to SPAWN.com for pictures of these figures and more in the coming weeks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Nolan Ryan for me. Wonder what the Variant will be? Also if they make a speacial box set of Nolan/Jackson in the story they are describing for Ryan? They could also make a Jackson box set of him in Royals and Raider like Nike did back in the 80's.

My real hope is that the George Brett piece would be him exploding out of the dugout in the infamous "PINE TAR" incident, but I doubt it.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 24, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Anybody know the deal with the ProShots stuff that's being shown at the SDCC?  JayDouble's photos in the SDCC thread show a couple of Jordan's and at least one Tiger Woods.  Same scale as McF stuff?  And wouldn't this seriously sting for McFarlane (unless it's an offshoot) since if they have Jordan, he probably won't get him? 

Am I seeing an Upper Deck logo there?  I'd definitely be in for a Jordan or two and probably a Tiger as well, but who else have they licensed?  Mike Weir? ;)

McFarlane has done a really good job of wrapping up a lot of the stars, past and present, but missing Jordan is huge. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.