Author Topic: NBA Offseason 2006  (Read 14842 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2006 - 2007 Season
« Reply #30 on: August 4, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I watched quite a bit of last night's game, and although it is just an exhibition game, it was nice to see them kicking rear again.  I really hope this team can do that come Olympic time again, they seem to have put together a pretty good roster.  I have great memories of watching the 92 team just steamroll the world, and it would be nice to see US basketball get back to that level (or close to it, as some countries have improved significantly) again in the future.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 4, 2006, 11:07 AM »
I watched the game as well, and I was really impressed with what I saw.  I realize that it was just an exhibition game, and that they still haven't won anything, but let's just say that I'm cautiously optimistic.  All of the guys on the team seem to want to be there, and they play really well as a unit.  And their defensive intensity is phenomenal.  It seems that all egos have been left behind.  Hopefully, this team can help to eradicate that debacle that happened in Athens in '04.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 7, 2006, 03:04 PM »
More promising results:

LeBron, Team USA crush Yao-less China, 119-73

The game is being televised tonight on ESPN2 at 9:30 EST.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 8, 2006, 12:42 PM »
It looks like Team USA finally ran into some competition:

U.S. edges Brazil late; Anthony injures knee

And it also looks like I'm the only person who could give a **** about these games.
 ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 8, 2006, 12:49 PM »
No, you're not the only one, I've been keeping track as well.  So there's at least two of us :P.  I watched much of the game last night, and just read the write up on today's prior to seeing your post.  Sounds like a closer game, but at least they still won.  I'd have rather see them continue to destroy everyone though, so the chatter doesn't start about us not winning gold again.  The most frustrating part is that we obviously have the best players overall, but hopefully we can get the team play/defense part of things rolling again.  This team has looked pretty good so far though, so hopefully things are looking up.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 8, 2006, 04:44 PM »
Well, I'm not overly interested and haven't posted primarily because I love watching the dream team lose :-X  I'm not a huge fan of pro-basketball and haven't been for many, many years.  I still like watching it, but have a hard time listening to these clowns complain.  Fouls aren't fouls unless it approaches an assault or a particular favored star is the recipient.  Travel ball isn't.  I'm sorry, but Dr. J didn't travel when he was able to dunk from the foul line...

Couple that with the incredibly arrogant attitude and the propensity to be on the wrong side of the law and they can be as good as they want, but I'll want to see them lose. 

I'm happy to see the reports they're playing better and as a team, I can only assume no one from Philadelphia is on the team then?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 8, 2006, 06:12 PM »
it seems like you are letting a couple bad apples spoil the whole bunch for you.  i think pro basketball and maybe sports in general has come along way in past several years in cleaning up its image.  sure there are alot of guys with tats and rows, but not nearly as many seem to be supporting the thug life.

it really seems like you are letting allen iverson speak for the whole league.  just be patient and in a couple years he will retire.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 10:01 AM »
After finishing exhibition play 5-0, the roster was cut down to 12 going into the World Championships this weekend.  Gilbert Arenas had to withdraw due to injury, and the final cut from this initial team was Bruce Bowen.  Both of them (and others) are still in the "pool" to make the Olympic squad in the future.  The team going into this weekend is:

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
Kirk Hinrich
Shane Battier
Elton Brand
Joe Johnson
Brad Miller
Chris Bosh
Antawn Jamison

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 10:52 AM »
it seems like you are letting a couple bad apples spoil the whole bunch for you.  i think pro basketball and maybe sports in general has come along way in past several years in cleaning up its image.  sure there are alot of guys with tats and rows, but not nearly as many seem to be supporting the thug life.

it really seems like you are letting allen iverson speak for the whole league.  just be patient and in a couple years he will retire.

Yeah, Iverson is a thorn in my side. 

And the broad generalization of tats and rows is inaccurate.  I couldn't care less about their physical appearance (I don't think that's your implication John, I just want it to be clear it's not my feeling either).  What does bother me is the attitude in general and moreso than the players, what the league has done to the rules.  It's less basketball, more entertainment to me than it used to be.  Maybe it's just old age and crankiness, but fouls and travel ball used to NOT be subjective calls related to who the players involved were, their relative status in the league and the time of year the game occurs (i.e. playoff vs regular season in January). 

Looking at the list of the team for the World Champioinships I don't have any problems with that team.  I do find it somewhat devoid of 'stars' though.  James/Wade are the only two guaranteed fantasy first round picks there.  Maybe a couple of others, but it looks more 2-4 rounders to me.  Seems like someone tried to make a team rather than a collection of all stars. ;)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Looking at the list of the team for the World Champioinships I don't have any problems with that team.  I do find it somewhat devoid of 'stars' though.  James/Wade are the only two guaranteed fantasy first round picks there.  Maybe a couple of others, but it looks more 2-4 rounders to me.  Seems like someone tried to make a team rather than a collection of all stars. ;)

I'd add Carmelo to the list of "stars" ... and Elton Brand is right up there as well.  After all, he did average 24.7 ppg, pulled down 10.0 rpg, and sent back 2.54 bpg ... alll while shooting a rather healthy .527 from the field.  He's become a legitimate star.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 07:08 PM »
Maybe it's just old age and crankiness, but fouls and travel ball used to NOT be subjective calls related to who the players involved were, their relative status in the league and the time of year the game occurs (i.e. playoff vs regular season in January). 

you probably have been a fan for longer than i have.  i can't remember a time before the michael jordan rules.

i must say though, that seeing the mavs get whooped up on by that system in the finals was annoying, but everyone knew that was the way the game is played and the mavs have their "stars" too that get the preferential treatment.

i think alot of the guys on the world championship roster are pretty good players on bad teams.  but, you are right, many are not superstars in the league yet.   it probably makes for a much better system when some of the guys are not expecting to score 30 every game.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2006, 12:57 AM »
I'd add Carmelo to the list of "stars" ... and Elton Brand is right up there as well.  After all, he did average 24.7 ppg, pulled down 10.0 rpg, and sent back 2.54 bpg ... alll while shooting a rather healthy .527 from the field.  He's become a legitimate star.

I wouldn't disagree with you, I was just thinking about last year's draft and how it went.  There are certainly plenty of incredible ball players there. 

you probably have been a fan for longer than i have. i can't remember a time before the michael jordan rules.

That just might be, if you consider being a fan since the last time either the Sonics or the Bullets won the championship as being longer ;)  I liked basketball from a young age, but I was hooked back around 1977 when a kind bartender in a New Orleans hotel let me stand in the corner of the hotel lounge and watch a finals game :o

The Jordan rules have always existed, it just used to be significantly more subtle.  There was a time when referees waved off hand checking, if you can believe it. 

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 01:08 PM »
If he keeps playing like he did yesterday, the rest of the world should be afraid.  Very afraid .....

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Big comeback for the US today.  Melo dropped 29 points on Italy ... in the second half!

Carmelo's 35 help U.S. crawl back vs. Italy, win pool

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:02 AM by Darth Rayne »

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2006, 01:52 PM »
Anyone know why they can't show highlights on the net?