Author Topic: Pet peeves... Annoyances... Things that piss you off!  (Read 243135 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeves... Annoyances... Things that piss you off!
« Reply #525 on: November 4, 2005, 10:26 AM »
My health Ins is great it's free for the next 9 years....beyond that it will be 20$ a month for life for my wife and I.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 4, 2005, 12:31 PM »
Also....

To talk a little politics without getting political, I really hate people who vote and don't do their homework on what they're voting for. Case in point, our upcoming elections in CA, I hear a lot of adds telling you which way to vote and why, however, if you just read the material provided by the state, you learn that 99% of what adds say are refuted by fact. People who don't bother to read the material on initiatives so they could decide for themselves just shouldn't vote.

My favorite was the past proposition regarding eliminating affirmative action. When polled, people who voted it down did so because it would jeopardize medical research by restricting data gathering based of race, based on information provided in adds against. However, if they had bothered to read the verbiage of that proposal, the text clearly said that medical research is exempted.

Sorry, just venting.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2005, 06:24 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #527 on: November 4, 2005, 02:47 PM »
A big pet peeve of mine is when people who should use spellcheck don't.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 4, 2005, 06:10 PM »
A big pet peeve of mine is when people who should use spellcheck don't.

Yeah, sorry about that. I have to update my browser to get one. :P

Well, first I need a new computer to support a new browser....
« Last Edit: November 4, 2005, 06:12 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #529 on: November 7, 2005, 12:13 PM »
Something that bothers me way more than simple spelling errors are people that can't seem to discern the differences between homophones.  For example:

they're/their/there
to/too/two
our/are
you're/your

I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting, but those seem to be the most common.

And then there's this:

"could of" instead of "could have"
"would of" instead of "would have"
"should of" instead of "should have"

"I should of gone to the park yesterday."  THINK ABOUT THIS, PEOPLE.  "SHOULD OF" DOES NOT MAKE ANY ******* SENSE.

I don't know if the people who use this horrible grammar are doing so out of sheer laziness, or if they're just uneducated, but either way, it makes them look like morons.

Ah, the things that spellcheck doesn't catch. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 7, 2005, 12:18 PM »
rediculous/ridiculous - ok, it's just spelling

than/then - I'd rather have this then that

:-*

Go Bill.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #531 on: November 7, 2005, 12:31 PM »
I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting, but those seem to be the most common.

Just caught another one, right here on this very forum:

we're/were

The apostrophe is there for a reason (I know it is a difficult concept, but they're two different words, with two different meanings!).

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 7, 2005, 02:03 PM »
Lets not forget morning/mourning.  ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #533 on: November 7, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I don't know if the people who use this horrible grammar are doing so out of sheer laziness, or if they're just uneducated, but either way, it makes them look like morons.

Ah, the things that spellcheck doesn't catch. . .

I think that some people just get there panties in a bunch over the weigh that some people type on websights.

I think that your too blame two because were just trying to get along typing are messages in the mourning when crusty auld bastiches like u get all up in my face for something I should of done different.

:-*
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #534 on: November 7, 2005, 02:20 PM »
I think that some people just get there panties in a bunch over the weigh that some people type on websights.

I think that your too blame two because were just trying to get along typing are messages in the mourning when crusty auld bastiches like u get all up in my face for something I should of done different.

Rodney King, ladies and gentlemen.

Thanks, Rodney.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 7, 2005, 03:44 PM »
People that don't wash their hands after being in the public restroom. Come on, we're all professionals here at work (or at least I hope we are), why not at least just turn the faucet on and make a good show of it. Add a little soap to it and it'd be even better. Strangely, I've noticed that managers, directors and various other higher-ups are the biggest offenders. At least in my lame company (and the company in the suite next to us).

And a related gripe...public restrooms that don't have the trash can near the door and/or it isn't an open-top trash can. Because of the problem above, I use a paper towel to open the door when leaving, then prop it with my foot and toss the used (dirty) towel in the trash can. If there's no trash can near or I can't toss the towel, I have to take the dirty towel with me. Ick.

Actually, while I'm talking about public restrooms, they really should have some sort of background music playing in all public restrooms. I really don't like hearing someone struggling in the stall, and the gruntin' and kerplunkin' that usually accompanies it.

And an unrelated peeve. Sick kids. Not just because it's miserable seeing them miserable, but because as a parent you just gotta kiss and hug on 'em no matter how sick they are, which will eventually get you sick, too. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #536 on: November 7, 2005, 03:57 PM »
Something that bothers me way more than simple spelling errors are people that can't seem to discern the differences between homophones.

Quite right. Man, does that tick me off.

Yeesh. To me that's like fingernails on a blackboard. :-\ :'(
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 7, 2005, 05:29 PM »
Annoying little kids. As I was in the SW aisle at Target these two 7-8 year old kids were beating the **** out of eachother with plastic lightsabers. Then one of the two threw one of those pegwarming exclusive star cases at the other and then the mom finally intervened.  :P

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #538 on: November 8, 2005, 08:55 AM »
Something that bothers me way more than simple spelling errors are people that can't seem to discern the differences between homophones.

Quite right. Man, does that tick me off.

Yeesh. To me that's like fingernails on a blackboard. :-\ :'(

I hear that. Here are some actual quotes from another forum I read:

"Lik i sed befo "hatehilarydufff" i am gettin sik an tird of ur SH!+. Hilary duff IS great @ what she does. She is a great singur + actress. and some day she will be considurd 1 of the 100 greatest women uv the video eraaaa. I AM HER #1 FAN!!!! She is the CUELEST!!"

"NO not "ok" ~!MISS THANG!~ Hil iz grate @ what she duhz an' ur jus' jellus det u can't nevva B lik hur. sew cwit haytin u stupid B!+ch!!"

(They are arguing about how Hilary Duff is such a renaissance woman  ::) )
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 8, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Text messaging: the downfall of modern society. :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.