Author Topic: Pet peeves... Annoyances... Things that piss you off!  (Read 241990 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet peeves... Annoyances... Things that piss you off!
« Reply #120 on: November 5, 2003, 10:49 PM »
Roommates who use up your last coffee filter and don't tell you; then you wake up at 6 AM the next morning and head for the coffee pot to find no filters and no way to wake up.

That burns my ass right to the bone, man.

Spoonful of grounds, cup of hot water.  Swish it around in your mouth.  Pretty disgusting but net effect is the same ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 5, 2003, 10:53 PM »
Well, you got the "pretty disgusting" part right at least  ;)

Unless you're pregnant and have a hankering for a cream cheese, pickle, and coffee grind sandwich.  
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 6, 2003, 07:15 AM »
Whadda know.  I was just going to bump this thread up today and here it is on the top of page one.  Thanks Grant for saving me the trouble of looking for it.

Anyway, I said this already but it bears repeating:  drivers who don't turn on their headlights when they're supposed to.  Yesterday it was dark and dreary all day, with occasional bouts of rain.  I don't know how many cars I passed without their lights on.  It makes for tough driving when you can barely see because of the rain and then you have to deal with numbnuts with their lights out, making it especially more difficult.

Another thing is people who don't know how to drive through a parking lot.  They think that because the lot is empty they can zoom across it at an angle thinking they're going to get to that all ellusive golden parking spot near the front of the store.  And here I am driving slowly either parallel or perpendicular to the lanes watching out for idiots like that, knowing full well that most insurance companies don't cover accidents that happen in a parking lot.  And the worst part, most of them don't even have their lights on.

Rant over >:(
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 6, 2003, 11:03 PM »
When owners allow their cats to roam outside.

First is the annoyance factor. They wake you up at night with their serenading; leave droppings on fence rails; poke around the garbage can on garbage night.

More importantly, the safety of the cat isn't considered. Last week a young cat -- maybe it was still considered a kitten -- meandered onto the street  in front of me. Had I been going the speed limit, just 10 miles faster, I would have had a furry tire.

One would think a grown cat can avoid moving cars, but a few get hit occasionally. About 10 years ago, I noticed 4 within a 6-month period.

Really sucks.

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 8, 2003, 10:14 AM »
People who double click links on a web site!

For some reason that drives me nuts!!!!

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 5, 2003, 01:32 PM »
More annoyances than pet peeves but here are a few more:

1.  I work on the 5th floor of a five story building.  I hate when I have to stop at every floor on the way down, especially when its time to leave.  The quicker I'm out of the building when work ends the better.

2.  People who ask me "Do you work here?"  when I'm at a store.  Just today at Walmart, some lady asked me this.  Besides the fact that I was looking at dvds and wasn't doing anything that one might construe as work, I was wearing a big red ski jacket that said "CorJen Construction" on it.  Last time I checked, most store employees don't wear jackets inside and even if they did, you would assume Walmarts are blue, not red (go to Target for those).  She must have been color blind or can't tell the difference between a jacket and a smock or both.

3.  Walmart in general.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 5, 2003, 03:06 PM »

3.  Walmart in general.

Hee hee hee.  I wouldn't go into Walmart if I didn't collect toys.  Without a KB or Target though, they are the odds on favorite to actually find something at retail.  I won't go in after 8:30 am or before 1/2 hour prior to closing.  

They are incredibly frustrating.  Huge ass stores with ample retail space and then they cram stuff into those formerly wide aisles.  Look folks, build the store 1000 sq feet bigger and stop doing that.  It's incredibly annoying.  

The staff are nice, but get abused by the general quality of customer they attract.  I cannot find a place that has customers with less common sense, courtesy and general intelligence.  I'm sorry, but even smart people seem to check their brains at the door.  Get your fat ass, shopping cart, snot-nosed kid out of my way, I'm coming through.  

Pet Peeve du jour:
People who take up multiple parking spaces.  You know them, they park over three or four spaces because they perceive their car to be more valuable than yours.  Every time I see it, I am sorely tempted to key their car.  I can understand it if you're driving some $100,000 car (but why are you parked real close to the doors, do it far away where the risk is less of your car being damaged) but a Cavalier or the like?  Jeez, the paint is worth more than the whole car.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 5, 2003, 03:15 PM »
Yep, you summed up my "Walmart in general" comment quite nicely Brent.  I try to be civil and polite (someone has to), but most ******** look at me like I have three heads when I have to gall to say "excuse me" even though their fat ass and cart with five screaming kids are in the middle of the aisle.   ::)

I should revive my high school football days and just run through them next time ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #128 on: December 5, 2003, 06:40 PM »
Funny, but I must think to my self at least several times a day, "oh, I need to add that to our Pet Peeve thread", but then I always seem to forget what the hell it was that annoyed me so much by the time I get here...  Senility sucks.  There - that's annoying!

Oh, I remember one...  The accountants who work in the office next door to us, and share a common bathroom, stink somethin' fierce when they do their business on the can.  Ungodly smells that I've not ever encountered anywhere.  Even at the huge public bathrooms at the gyms, ballparks, wherever.  These guys are absolutely disgusting...  I seriously wonder what the hell they're eating...   ::)

Mikey touched on another major annoyance of mine too - people that clog the aisles.  Happens everywhere (not just WM) it seems.  They spread out, just standing there, staring at the ceiling or just mulling about - often in large groups or families.  Can't get by them no matter what you do.  I get rather rude on occasion when people have no sense of their surroundings, and are either blocking you, backing into you, running over you, etc.  I'll mumble "Excuse YOU" pretty loudly if they do it bad enough.  Then I'll mumble some other unintelligle things as I pass by them just so they know that they're stupid ass is in people's way...   >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 5, 2003, 10:06 PM »
I usually opt for "thanks" after literally moving their cart for them.  They're not bad people, just not paying attention (which people seem to do in cars far more often).  

BTW Matt, it's the coffee that's messing those guys up.

Here's a bizarre one for you.

At University, nobody would ever flush the toilet.  Crapper or urinal.  It was the most disgusting thing I'd ever seen.  This was supposedly a place of higher learning and relatively (I said relatively) intelligent people.  Good Lord, how hard can it be :o ::) >:(  Geez, use your elbow or your foot, but for the love of all that's good in the world, flush.  

Occasionally I come across this (thank goodness not at work) but man, the U was the worst.  Blech.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #130 on: December 7, 2003, 02:37 AM »
One thing that always gets my goat is when I'm sitting at the movie theater, and some idiot kicks the back of my seat. Damn, I hate that. >:(

I also hate people who park so goddamn close to me I can't get in my car. I'd throw my car door into the side of their car if I thought it wouldn't hurt my car.

Also on the **** list--dumbass cashiers who ask for an ID when I use my credit card. Never do I feel more offended. I don't even know why they need it. Maybe to see my studly mug in an unflattering picture. ::)

And people who cannot fathom the method of looking both ways before pulling across traffic. I just about broadsided an idiot in a Cavalier because he just shot out from the stop sign. What is it with Chevy Cavaliers and morons?

And finally, incapable bartenders who don't put the glass at an angle when drawing my Guinness. If you're gonna charge $3.50 for the draw, it better be hoppin'.

OK, now I feel better.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 7, 2003, 02:51 AM »
One thing that always gets my goat is when I'm sitting at the movie theater, and some idiot kicks the back of my seat. Damn, I hate that. >:(

what i hate more are the idiots who sit in front of you and rock violently back and forth. i've been in a few theaters that have seats that rock, at least a little, and had an idiot or two in front of me... the solution? i planted both of my feet firmly on the back of his seat, close to the top. i think i gave him whiplash....

Also on the **** list--dumbass cashiers who ask for an ID when I use my credit card. Never do I feel more offended. I don't even know why they need it. Maybe to see my studly mug in an unflattering picture. ::)

well, speaking as one of those dumbass cashiers who asks for id from time to time, i'll tell you exactly the same thing i tell every other customer who bitches at me... it's for your protection, as well as ours. in this day and age, identity fraud is one of the biggest crimes that occurs every day. i'm only protecting you from having to pay unneccesary bills and us from losing money on fraudulent sales.

And people who cannot fathom the method of looking both ways before pulling across traffic. I just about broadsided an idiot in a Cavalier because he just shot out from the stop sign. What is it with Chevy Cavaliers and morons?

well, dumbass drivers are a dime a dozen around me. it sounds like he stopped at least, we usually get the ones who just kinda drift right through the stop sign, like they only need to stop if they see a car coming...

And finally, incapable bartenders who don't put the glass at an angle when drawing my Guinness. If you're gonna charge $3.50 for the draw, it better be hoppin'.

luckily, that's one problem i don't have. i only go to the finest irish pubs, and you better believe that those bartenders know how to draw a good pint of guiness.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2004, 10:49 PM »
Had an unpleasant reminder today on one of the pet peeves I keep forgetting to put in here:

- When you have to sign something, like a credit card receipt, and the cashier/waitress/etc. hands you a pen that they had stuck behind their ear.  Not cool.  Behind the ear can be one of the nastier places on the human body on some people, so to have to grip a pen that has someone's ear residue all over makes me want to yak just a bit...   >:(

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2004, 10:29 AM »
Kevins Pet Peves for today:

When people hock a luggie right on your driveway or somthing when your standing there talking to them and they dont think anything of it.

When resturaunts fill a glass with ice and then pour your drink into it, and the head fills up the glass before the drink does, and they just bring it over to you. You end up with like...5 sucks on a straw, if your lucky before you need a refill.

When I go out and order a Prime Rib, or a Tenderloin, and they ask me how I want it cooked, and I tell them, yet they return with the meat either cold, and not done, or over cooked. If I am going to shell out 20 bucks for a piece of meat, the least you could do is cook it the way I like it.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2004, 12:16 PM »
Well, in defense of the restaurant industry (8 years experience here) I can almost guarantee your expensive cut of meat will almost always be underdone.  Why?  Because it can be taken back and put on the grill and cooked up to where you want it.  Overcooked is a sign of a bad cook and a waste of meat.  If you're paying $20 for your cut of meat, it probably cost the restaurant $10 so they don't want to waste it either.  

Some cuts of meat are also fairly tough to cook accurately.  New York steaks are notoriously fast to overcook, so partly it depends on what you order.  Not to say you shouldn't complain, you always should if it is not done properly.  

Pet Peeve of the day:
Last night after basketball practice I stopped at Walmart as there are actually some Walmarts in Canada starting to carry *gasp* Star Wars toys, so thought I'd check.  As I'm leaving, this woman is walking in and away from her kid.  It's ten to 10:00 PM and -15 C outside.  Her daughter is maybe 3 years old and not wearing a jacket and crying.  WTF is up with that?  I don't care how aggravating your kid is, you don't walk away from him/her in dangerous weather conditions when they are not dressed properly nor can they take care of themselves at that age.  And why, pray tell, is a 3 year old at Walmart at that time of night? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(