Author Topic: 30th Anniversary Cards?  (Read 26399 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 'Scum's 2007 report... Oh my!
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 12:25 AM »

Where is the figure going to go?   ???

Something tells me we are about to see the return of the smaller bubbles, taking up only the lower left hand corner...  and the much rumored "coin/medallion" must be going on the circle/planet thingy?

I could see the bubble going all the way across the card where that horizontal line is, overlapping the picture of the character at least on the bottom.

I guess we'll probably see soon enough.

I think this packaging is pretty cool and all - but the one they're ditching after only a year or so, is so freaking classic that I'm disappointed in this whole thing.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 12:26 AM »
I don't like it much, it reminds me of the Clone Wars line.  But I have to agree it's definitely not sleek: it looks like it could snag onto any number of things.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

SilverZ

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Well, it will be easy to spot the different figures with the character image so gianormous up there. I don't think I hate the card -- its certainly trying to make the line feel more contemporary, but they're sacrificing any semblance of class to do it. Ah well, whatever.

There's going to be a sea of cards on the pegs with wrecked hooks, though. That looks like the most vulnerable one yet.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18 AM »

From the Macintosh 'Dictionary' program:

Sleek
Having an elegant, streamlined shape or design

Yes, it's sleek. :)

You obviously don't understand the meaning of the words sleek, elegant, or streamlined. There is nothing elegant (well-balanced) or streamlined (smooth, curved flow) about the shape of this card.

It's shape is not balanced and it has a total of 16 corners.

I'll wait to see the figure on the card before I say too much about it... Like most folks, I'm wondering how a figure the size of Ephant Mon would fit on this thing...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 01:21 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 02:41 AM »
Jared kind of summed up my opinion...  I don't hate it either, but I don't know that I like it.  I open everything so clump me in that category, but still sometimes I like a card to look nice...  Especially since I tend to keep a lot of exclusives carded.

I get what they're running with, but my heart goes out to the carded collector, no doubt.  These won't be fun...  Then again has card condition been a fun thing to deal with since like 2004?   :-\ 

As far as it's "sleek"-ness?  I have to agree that I think some of the definition is being misconstrued.  It's like saying the  Snowspeeder is "sleek", while it's really just sharp angles and things...  The curved bubbles of this year's cardback style is a much more sleek look.  This is a more modern look I think...  Kind of reminds me of the look of armor pieces from the film, like AT-AT's, AT-ST's, Juggernaughts, or my Snowspeeder analogy...  I'm not sure that's BAD per se, I don't consider it sleek is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 02:51 AM »
Being a carded collector, I don't really like it. It may grow on me but right now it sucks. I can see the package mangled already.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 04:50 AM »
Hello everybody!

This is a bold new design and not without merit. I think we can enjoy a rich variety of locations and colour considering the habitats of all thats rumored to be released in 2007.

But some aspects of the graphics irk me. Something about the font used for the figure,i don't know... it's all a bit Lava Miner pro' skater! ::

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 07:40 AM »
I think I smell a new poll coming on to see what people think. Although there are a few who are digging this, I think a lot of people are rating this as Worst Card Design Ever.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 07:45 AM »
The card is too busy IMO.  There is too much going on with all the different text plus different angles on the cardback. 

I was hoping that they were going to modify the existing cards a bit to keep in tune with the 30th Anniversary.

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 08:38 AM »
It's not the best but it is better that sith(at least to these eyes).

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 08:51 AM »
To busy is an understatement. I will also hold to make my final judgement but right now I am not likeing it at all. I really liked the space element of the some of the previous cards.
This is truly a carded collectors nightmare. Unless this has a clamshell, this will not hold up well in stores.

I really do not like the fact that I have to tilt my head to read what going on. The best design is always simple. too many thoughts going on with this. It does not scream 30th at all, it screams transformers packaging rip off. (Even though the almighty beards in house design team came up with it. Hasbro did not, they follow a style guide.
For the 30th Iwas hoping to see classic artwork like whats on the new DVD 3 packs.............
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 09:02 AM »
I think i like it. I wonder if the lava picture on the bottom will also be character specific. The circle is interesting as well, perhaps a coin promotion.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 09:34 AM »
I can't wait for Hasbro to increase the price by another dollar because of this new style of card.  The design of it kind of implies that the coin thing is true, so that's enough for Hasbro to keep the "hologram tax" increase, but AWESOME new packaging?  Call the Brinks truck!

And just to show how out of touch Hasbro really is with what people want, instead of keeping a card design which has been universally praised for both its aesthetic appeal and its simplicity, they go to an OUTSIDE DESIGN FIRM to help put together a new card style to celebrate the 30th anniversary.  Am I the only person who still likes the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality? 

Going by that card design (and this is pure speculation), there is going to be a much smaller bubble, meaning that stands are probably going to go the way of the dodo, as well as larger accessories and/or two packs (along the lines of Bolt/Guo), and money spent on this new packaging will probably mean less invested in articulation and fewer new figures vs. repacks.  And don't even get me started on the vehicle boxes having the angled edge.  If the Sith Infiltrator wasn't going to fit in the square box of the starfighter assortment, there's no way in hell it will fit now without some serious de-scaling.

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 10:55 AM »
I don't know if I like this packaging either. It may grow on me after seeing the actual figures attached to it but with just seeing the proof, it's not that appealing. With the odd shape of the card, I wonder what the bubble is going to look like.

Offline Gorkoracing

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Here are my 3 thoughts on what the bubble will look like.  In keeping with all of the corners on the card heck i'm sure the bubble will sport lots of corners as well

Also the card seems to "tall" for me  the top 1/2 or so wont be used and just like all the corners will be even easier to bend.  Just think if there was a heavy figure at the bottom of that card...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 11:00 AM by Gorkoracing »