Author Topic: luke skywalkers death?  (Read 11683 times)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
luke skywalkers death?
« on: July 17, 2006, 01:44 PM »
does anyone know how and when luke skywalker dies? i've been reading the legacy comics and it occurs to me that that is a huge jump into the future. i don;t know how i missed it, but does anybody know what book or comic this happened in or why they jumped so far into the future with this legacy series? i sort of thought that some body like luke dying in a book or comic would generate quit a buzz, i checked wookiepedia already and i'm not aware of any comic or book, unless of course i just completely missed it like i said! thanks a bunch for any help.
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: luke skywalkers death?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:15 AM »
I read just about everything and, as far as I know, you didn't miss it because it doesn't exist.   Let me know what you think about this series, I doubt I will get into just due to the fact it is so far ahead.
Beth

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 01:56 AM »
There's also a matter of how many people want to actually read something like that, and how it's done. For example, Chewbacca's death in the EU books really angers and throws off a lot of people, not only from that book but also the books following *raises hand*

However, an official explanation might exist somewhere or be written, but from my overall, removed study of what Star Wars novels and comics seem to be around, I don't think this yet exists, as Jadesfire says.

But don't go on my word, I've read very little and my interest is focused on the Original Trilogy and New Republic eras (which incidentally means most of it is from the 70s-mid 90s). *shrugs*
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:57 AM by Mitsukara »

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2006, 12:26 AM »
I personally don't think main characters should die in EU, Chewie's death was a pointless thing to do. ::)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2006, 07:33 AM »
I personally don't think main characters should die in EU, Chewie's death was a pointless thing to do. ::)

More pointless that the person he saved (Anakin) ends up dying just a short time later.   ::)
I remember my dream now.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2006, 03:30 PM »
Exactly. Really 50 aliens are going to save a whole race. ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2006, 02:25 PM »

From what I understand of the story arc that this happened in, Chewie's death was supposed to raise the stakes in the NJO series.  Throughout all of the EU novels up until then, you always knew that the main characters were going to get out of their respective predicaments.  As a result a good number of the stories left people a little "blah" and there didn't seem to be a reason for them to continue following the storylines of the novels.  In that regard I can understand why Chewbacca was killed off.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Yeah, you could always count on Luke getting his face kicked in, then just before he dies, he gets out and lives.  No threat to the lives of the main characters was a problem with EU.

But with Chewie, it was just throw in your face.  "Oh you don't think we'll kill anyone? Huh? Well BAM there Chewie's dead!  What do you have to say for yourself now!?"

I wasn't aware Legacy took place after Luke's death!  Luke's body must be an absolute wreak by the end of NJO anyway.  What's the 28 years after Jedi?  Luke's like 55; and been utterly near dead about 150 times.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 3, 2006, 09:24 AM »

Actually, by saving Anakin and knowing he probably wouldn't make it back, Chewie achieved total fulfillment of his Life Debt to Han Solo (and by extention his family).  I'm certainly pissed that it happened, but giving his life to save one of the Solos is exactly in character for our favorite Wookiee.    I think the EU was at a point where there was too much of the "superweapon" vs. our heros and the heros always coming out on top and unscathed.   While abrupt and sudden, Chewie's death serves to remind us all that people, even heroes, die and that death is but part of the cycle of the Force.   The new series also has  a dark side to it and I can't wait for the 3rd book!

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2007, 01:00 AM »
i personally can see the general divide amongst the older Fans and younger fans with Njo and beyond. the older fans don't want starwars to grow up or change. while the younger fans much like myself grew up with SW going through constant change and rebirth. and quite frankly i for one enjoy the restoration of Lucas's works and can't wait for the next EU stories.

Luke Skywalker's death however is something i kinda always saw as being extremely epic in nature, and from what we've seen in Tempest; i fear it will be as sudden as Chewies demise. but frankly i feel Luke's death  in Canon EU will be on his deathbed like Yoda.   

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2007, 12:31 AM »
I would like to see him die in battle. Go down like a real hero you know.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2007, 02:48 PM »
or slip in the shower.   ;D

my SW universe stops at episode 6. i dont care what happened from there, and dont give a **** about the solo kids. they all suck, especially anakin. chewie didnt have to do that.

yeah, for me, they all died of old age long after their victory in episode 6 and there was galactic peace forever after that. no yuzhan vong or solo kids or thrawn.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2007, 03:48 PM »
thank you for demonstrating your narrow-minded views, quack. nice to know the older generations mentality will not die with them.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:11 AM »
or slip in the shower.   ;D

my SW universe stops at episode 6. i dont care what happened from there, and dont give a **** about the solo kids. they all suck, especially anakin. chewie didnt have to do that.

yeah, for me, they all died of old age long after their victory in episode 6 and there was galactic peace forever after that. no yuzhan vong or solo kids or thrawn.
Whoah, Han & Leia had to had atleast one kid, accident or not. If you get me. ;)

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2007, 02:34 PM »
i personally can see the general divide amongst the older Fans and younger fans with Njo and beyond. the older fans don't want starwars to grow up or change. while the younger fans much like myself grew up with SW going through constant change and rebirth. and quite frankly i for one enjoy the restoration of Lucas's works and can't wait for the next EU stories.

Where are you getting this distinction between "older" v. "younger" fans? First off, there are plenty of older fans that are enthusiastic about the SW universe expanding and changing. I think the only real distinction is fans who only accept the "Canon" SW and those who consider all of the books and movies as part of a larger tapestry. Neither of these groups is restricted to one age range or another.