Author Topic: Smart Bombs...you've gotta be kidding...  (Read 5581 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Smart Bombs...you've gotta be kidding...
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:37 AM »
On the JD front page there's a headline referring to a new SDCC exclusive called Smart Bombs. It's two figures in the "likenesses" of R2-D2 and C-3PO (or, ONE-B29 and C-FOUR-NR). Basically, this is a new line of collectible figurines (not just Star Wars) based on Fat Man and Little Boy. Yes, those are the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I had to read it over about twenty times to actually believe it. Can you say insensitivity? I can just imagine the thought process:
"Hey, you know what would be cool? We can make some collectible figurines in the image of the nuclear devices that instantly obliterated the lives of tens of thousands of innocent people and caused untold suffering for hundreds of thousands more."
"Yeah, we could paint them like C-3PO and R2-D2! I love Star Wars!"

A direct link to the article is here.

I think the creator of this line is trying to do an "art" thing by designing "toys" with a "message" or whatever. Yup, anything can be art, but I think he lost his path when he went the commercial-license way with Star Wars and Marvel. If he wants to make a commentary on the bombs and war, or whatever, he'd probably be able to achieve his purpose better without the shackles of a toy license. But, then again, it's really not about art. It's about making a buck. If only he'd admit it.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Smart Bombs...you've gotta be kidding...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:20 PM »
After reading the interview, I'm even that much more hesitant to make it as an artist... I hope that haughty bull**** isn't contageous. Dear lord.

"I want this to be a very different experience for collectors, something more personal, intimate and informal for anyone who wants to be a part of it," explains Lilly...

And what better way to both inform, and personally, intimately, and spiritually bring the collecting world together, than to make a toy based off of the shape of the atomic bombs used to put an end to World War Two? Other than buying the world a Coke, I mean...

This is just a bunch of guys in suits wanting to make a quick buck off of the shockfactor. It's an oft abused tactic in the artworld, and it's worked just as well in the toy world. The idea isn't even original...

What I'd like to know is what exactly are they trying to inform us of?

Let me guess... the war could have been won without dropping the bombs, and that Americans should be ashamed of themselves.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 03:25 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:31 PM »

Yeah, that's some pretty bizarre **** there, alright!  I wonder if anyone else will get the treatment beyond just the droids...  How much are the things anyway?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 09:34 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:48 PM »
Looks like $30. according to www.creatusmaximus.com/forum

SDCC Duo Packs

Butt ugly IMHO.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:51 PM »
And why aren't the LFL or DC laywers all over these?   ???

I find it hard to believe that a start up company landed BOTH a Star Wars and a DC Comics license for these stupid things...  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline konakazi

• Youngling
  • If only you knew the power of BIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:47 PM »
Those are garbage. Why not make toys based on Nazi gas chambers while you're at it?

What a shame that Lilly has gone from the cool items of Palisades to this garbage. Boo.  >:(

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 10:31 AM »
And it just gets more strange. I took a little look at the company's Website and forums, and apparently there's going to be a little statement inside each set of SmartBombs. Here's a copy of said statement:

(HIROSHIMA August 6, 1945) "A bright light filled the plane," wrote Lt. Col. Paul Tibbets, the B-29 pilot who maneuvered the Enola Gay, the B-29 that dropped the first atomic bomb, into position to unleash its deadly payload. "We turned back to look at Hiroshima. The city was hidden by that awful cloud...boiling up, mushrooming." All of the men on board the bomber were silent, but after the initial shock dissipated they started to speak. "Look at that! Look at that! Look at that!" exclaimed Robert Lewis, the co-pilot, slapping Tibbets' arm frantically. Lewis later stated that he could “taste” the atomic fission; which had, to him, a taste of lead. He turned away from the image, pulled out his journal began writing an entry. "My God," he wrote to himself, "what have we done?"

Since the dawn of civilization, mankind has transformed warfare into an art form. Many weapons are given soft or cute names in order to make them more palatable - or at least less offensive. “Bouncing Betties”, “PeaceKeepers”, “Daisy Cutters” and the like are all euphemisms given to destructive devices in order to conceal their true nature. In all cases, we are probably concealing the truth more from ourselves than the enemy. Perhaps it is simply too painful to look at the devices and recognize that they might be a hideous reflection of something IN us, something that is a PART of us, something that we haven’t been able to evolve beyond.

Welcome to the birthplace of Smart Bombs. Smart Bombs are a reflection of the overwhelming need we all have to shield ourselves from the true horror of the weapons we use to destroy each other. Based on the atomic weapons known as Fat Man and Little Boy, the two atomic devices dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima in 1945, these designer figures attempt to explore the tendency to hide from the truth of war. By using iconographic imagery, Smart Bombs attempt to disguise themselves and the true nature of what they are. They appear as familiar and safe imagery, imagery that is engrained in our popular culture, evocative of some fond childhood memories, in an attempt to obscure and camouflage so that we never fully recognize what they truly are…the most destructive forces of war ever unleashed by mankind against his cohabitants on this planet Earth.

Smart Bombs are not anti-military, anti-government, or anti-war. Smart Bombs are anti-apathy. These designer figures are my way of examining my own feelings about the nature of man and war and the insidious relationship of the two, born from a hope that others may also choose to join me on an introspective journey. Results may vary. You bring to the table your own set of truths, and your experience with Smart Bombs will, of course, be unique. But if your experience in any way results in you giving any thought to war and its place in our history and in our future then I consider this mission a success.

To me, that just reads like a high school term paper. It is written fine, but doesn't really say anything.

"Smart Bombs are a reflection of the overwhelming need we all have to shield ourselves from the true horror of the weapons we use to destroy each other."

Or, a way to make money by using a couple of the most collectable and well-known toy lines ever.

"...in an attempt to obscure and camouflage so that we never fully recognize what they truly are…the most destructive forces of war ever unleashed by mankind against his cohabitants on this planet Earth."

But, the reason why many destructive devices are given palatable names is that the people forced to use them have no choice. As a toy maker, you have a choice.

"Smart Bombs are not anti-military, anti-government, or anti-war. Smart Bombs are anti-apathy."

How? Oh, by using a high-demand collectible strategy, you're forcing those collectors that just positively, absolutely must have everything "C-3PO," to get off their collective duffs and buy your product, while at the same time ignoring that they are buying a symbol of genocide and murder because "The designer said these were a commentary on war and stuff."

"These designer figures are my way of examining my own feelings about the nature of man and war and the insidious relationship of the two, born from a hope that others may also choose to join me on an introspective journey."

Translation: These are my way of making money by taking advantage of shock-value and the unquenchable thirst of the Star Wars collecting community, born from a hope that many people will spend lots of money to buy them.

Or something to that effect. I'm not that fluent with translating cliche.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:47 PM by stormie »

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 01:03 PM »
stormie,

i'll be honest with you buddy, i wasn't planning on responding at all to this thread. it's one thing if you don't like the product that creatus maximus is putting out and i guess that's your deal which is fine. i never really paid too much attention to what you are saying because i think you are looking too much into the product, but you are entitled to your own opinion and that's cool.

my main problem is that i am a frequenter of those boards where you insult all the "yes-men" in the forums. to be honest with you, i felt really insulted with that statement. the people over there are really nice people and probably the nicest people on the net. some people on the boards are really excited about the product and ken lilly is trying a different approach than most toy companies by having it's collectors get involved with the product.

when you used that comment to describe the people over there, let's be honest. it was a jab. i've never once gone on any forum and hurdle insults towards any anybody. what may i ask has any of those people on those boards including myself done to you?? all i'm saying is watch what you say in forums. it's easy typing something behind a computer. if you don't like the product, nobody is forcing you to buy it. if you need to bring up an opinion, by all means it's your god-given right and it's backed by the first amendment, post it as need be. just don't attack anybody (that you really don't know) just for yourself to make a point...instead, sign up for the forums over there if you haven't already. find out what the people are like. that's the only way you'll see where i'm coming from. who knows you might have a differing opinion on things when it's said and done...

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I can see your point, and I'll admit it was a jab. I've let my disgust over these things get the best of me, and I couldn't contain my knee-jerk reaction. I suppose why I couldn't hold back with my jab was because I didn't see any dissenting opinion about these things, and I actually saw the opposite when posts started being critical of the criticism. To me, it all seemed rather silly, as if no one was thinking for themselves. I just cannot fathom how anyone can think these are okay. But like I said, I've let my own personal disgust over these things get the best of me. I've dug my hole, and I'm actually remorseful. I'm going to edit/omit that last line of my previous post.

I still absolutely hate these things and feel their real purpose (to make money) is being veiled by that silly statement (comment on war).

Thanks for letting me know I got out of line. I'm usually pretty level-headed, but (as you've probably read) these things have got me all riled up.

Again, sorry.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Don't feel too bad about stepping out with a jab... this toyline is a jab in of itself. You're a good dude around these parts and I'll vouch for ya as being someone who has always been pretty level-headed indeed - the fact you're quick to say, "Yea, I was wrong" doubles that... Between you and Nitro, it's good to see two guys go at it like gentlemen, instead of six year olds - refreshing is the word that comes to mind... Both of you guys are gold for that...

I still absolutely hate these things and feel their real purpose (to make money) is being veiled by that silly statement (comment on war).

Agreed. Maybe alot of people are buying that anti-apathy artsy fartsy bull****, but I haven't... Coming straight out three years of art courses, I'm tired of the mumbo-jumbo - and what'd be real nice is having an artist step up and say, "Oh, this is totally commercial - I'm not trying to make a statement of any kind except 'I want to retire as early as possible'."

All of that said, I'd love to design the paint scheme to a toy...

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 03:41 PM »
I can see your point, and I'll admit it was a jab. I've let my disgust over these things get the best of me, and I couldn't contain my knee-jerk reaction. I suppose why I couldn't hold back with my jab was because I didn't see any dissenting opinion about these things, and I actually saw the opposite when posts started being critical of the criticism. To me, it all seemed rather silly, as if no one was thinking for themselves. I just cannot fathom how anyone can think these are okay. But like I said, I've let my own personal disgust over these things get the best of me. I've dug my hole, and I'm actually remorseful. I'm going to edit/omit that last line of my previous post.

Thanks for letting me know I got out of line. I'm usually pretty level-headed, but (as you've probably read) these things have got me all riled up.

Again, sorry.

It's not a problem, stormie. Your a decent guy on the boards and it's very respectful on your part to look back and say you know what...maybe I went a little too far and I'll try fixing the problem the best I can. The last thing I wanted to do was cause any kind of stir on the boards because it seems like everybody here are really nice and I enjoy posting on here. The nice things about both forums is that people come from all over and have their own opinions on the things which I find really cool. What's even better is when boardies help each other.

I was never bothered over the criticism of the toys itself, it was just the people on those boards on creatusmaximus.com are like one big, nice community. No matter what you collect or do for a hobby, they put forth respect and back you completely on your accomplishments or the road ahead. Alot of these boardies came from the now defunct Palisades board, myself included. With Ken Lilly, he wants to make a splash again since Palisades is no longer a company. He did very well with Palisades (one can only look at the Muppets line), but he needed to make a living (especially with raising young children) when Palisades closed its doors forever in December of 2005. You have that same community now supporting one of their own in Lilly. It never had anything to do about being a "yes-man", but as a member of a tight-knit internet community over the course of a few years. It's like one of the staff members here like Angry Ewok deciding he wanted to start a toy line and the people here (on Jedi Defender) embracing and supporting what he is trying to accomplish in the industry. You always want one of your own to be successful. And on the other end, it feels great to have the support of others. They offer differing opinions, some have even gone as far as designing their own stuff (see the Kockblockerz line that might come out if Smart Bombs does well), some have even given advice, or even offered to help him get him started in the industry since Palisades is no longer around.

Because of Lilly's closeness with boardmembers (new and old)-- he wants to get everybody involved the best way he can with the new venture. You may not like the product thats coming out and its fine. I respect your opinions on that. But I'll be hard pressed to find another forum to back up one of their own the way creatusmaximus does which I find very appealing.

In any case, thanks again for pulling that. I appreciate and respect you for it...I know that the line might not be appealling to you. It's certainly not a line for everybody (myself included- I'm sticking with Kubricks only at this point of collecting) and its definately controversial. The only thing that had bothered me was the comment about the boardmembers over there. They really are some of the greatest people on the net.

Like I said before, and this goes for anybody...browse the site or sign up, post your suggestions and concerns over certain products (it'll make a big difference over there), give advice and be heard. There are topics for everybody over there. You're all welcome to take part in our Fantasy Football league we are starting up (Baseball started back in April)  or take part in any of the discussions, topics, or games in the forums. It'll give you a chance to know a few more people, even invite a few of them over here to Jedidefender once you get  comfortable or another website to frequent. If you don't want to sign up, it's nothing big...It's just one person reaching out to another to hopefully find a greater good...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:45 PM by nitro »

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
  • What is this... "llama" you speak of?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Wow. Those things are dumb. That's pretty much what came to mind when I saw them posted the other day. I put these in the same boat as those ridiculous "Suckadelic" figures. Maybe I just don't get it. 

However...you know SOMEONE will buy these, probably on the "Star Wars" connection alone. My question is: how did they get this far in the product development (AND presentation at the SDCC, no less) without LFL squashing the obvious copyright/likeness infringment? Or, are these things different just enough that they can be sold? I'm thinking its a case like those spoof SW meanie baby things from a few years ago. Oh well, its no money out of my wallet!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:47 AM by monstermonkey »