Author Topic: More Playsets Hasbro!  (Read 10885 times)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
Re: Play SETS
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2006, 09:29 AM »
Hasbro give us new playsets!!!!! i mean the mustafar playset to me was a waste of money there was nothing special about. But the geonosian arena that was Awsome! why dont you make playsets like that any more i mean with the 30th aniversery coming out dont you think its time to give us all a NEW death star play set! i mean kids will go nuts over these and collectors will love them to! so whats the deal why dont you make a DS playset!? :P

I'm all for this idea, although I like the box-type environment Jesse talked about a couple of pages ago, that could end up looking like the death star Chewie posted.

Didn't you already post this in the "Questions For Hasbro" thread? You didn't need to post it here. And besides, Hasbro has said countless times that they will not be making any more playsets anytime soon.

I'm glad he did re-post it, and I will keep reposting my request for them as well. Hasbro can and will say whatever they want, and we can do the same. I have posted similar sentiments in many forums here and elswhere, and hope that eventually Hasbro realize this truth: My collecting money is going to Medicom and Gentle Giant, because Hasbro isn't giving me props and playsets for the bajillion figures I have bought from them over the last 12 (well 30 really) years.

Maybe eventually they will listen. I'm done with repainted and repackaged ships and figures, and I see others that feel the same way. Maybe eventually this will lead to something new.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: More Playsets Hasbro!
« Reply #16 on: September 3, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Do you think that maybe, just maybe, Hasbro knows how to run their business better than you do?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 3, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Do you think that maybe, just maybe, Hasbro knows how to run their business better than you do?

I don't know if your trolling or what, but I'll bite. This entire site is loaded with people's opinions about what they would like to see. Hasbro has also made it clear that they do look for information on sites like this. They certainly know more about running a toy business, but as my statement says, my money is going elsewhere and they could do something about it.

If you don't like opinions, you're on the  wrong page. It's called "Hey Hasbro!" for a reason.  ::)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #18 on: September 3, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Not trolling at all, just sick of the constant whining about playsets and vehicles.  Hasbro has clearly shown that they're just not interested in doing those things at this time, and no amount of internet bitching is going to change that.

Hasbro is, above all else, in business to make money, and if they don't feel they can make money from doing playsets and vehicles, then they're not gonna do it.  It's pretty simple.

Just 'cause some internet people are unhappy that they don't have their $50 Death Star Playset and $100 AT-TE, doesn't mean that Hasbro should drop everything they're doing and make those items.  The overall market won't support them right now.  Message board people aren't the only ones buying this stuff.

Think about it as if you owned a business.  Would you risk taking a huge loss on something just to make a small percentage of your customers happy?  I sure as hell wouldn't.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 4, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Well, those Mustafar playsets sold really well didn't they ::) :P. When they finally do make a playset, no one buys it-and complainers should unloaded their cash on that if not to keep Hasbro making them(playsets) but they didn't. No wonder at Hasbro's stance then ::).

The DS

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 5, 2006, 04:41 AM »

Some days I wonder.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 5, 2006, 09:03 AM »
My point is, much like the Willrow Hood page, this page is dedicated to an idea. If you don't like the idea, you are on the wrong page.

My intention is not to whine at Hasbro. I have been buying a ton of their product for 11 years, and if they stop making the line, I would still be happy with all they have done. This has been a fun line for me and my family.

But they are losing my money and interest, and I wanted to post why in a forum they may run across.
I don't need huge playsets with tons of play features that require fancy molds and tooling. I like Jesse's idea of modular boxes with interchangable backgrounds. A way to display all the work they have put into the line, and maybe some props to go with them.

I'm not boycotting, whining, or slamming. I'm just echoing a sentiment that I think is becoming more common, not less. I see many many comments unhappy about the number or repacks and repaints. I think it is good to give them an alternative to try (besides choppers, transformers, and some of the other items).

If they don't, no problem. Like I said, it's been a helluva run.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #22 on: September 5, 2006, 10:38 AM »
My point is, much like the Willrow Hood page, this page is dedicated to an idea.

The difference is, Willrow is a single figure--much less of a risk for them.  And they've actually said that they'll get around to Willrow eventually.  But they've said repeatedly that they have no interest in doing playsets for the time being.   

If you don't like the idea, you are on the wrong page.

Wrong again.  Why is it that you people think that, just because someone says that there's no chance in hell of Hasbro doing something, that they're "against" that particular idea, too?  I think playsets have gotten the shaft from the beginning, and I'd love to see more.  But I'm also a realist, and if Hasbro says a dozen times in a dozen ways that they're not doing anymore playsets, then I'm gonna believe 'em.  Doesn't mean I'm gonna like it, but that's their business decision.

But go post about it across the entire internet, if you must.  I'm sure it'll make a difference, eventually. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: September 7, 2006, 03:09 AM »
Hasbro has indeed been pretty staunch and clear that playsets aren't happening this year...  or next year...  or any year I guess.  I dunno.  The outlook is damned bleak.

However this thread is all about them...  Sometimes the squeaky wheel has gotten the greasing too...  The way I look at it is there's no harm in speaking your mind on the issue, even if it's clear Hasbro ain't hearing you.  It's the whole reason here in this part of the forums afterall, so no harm, no foul.  Maybe at some point they'll figure out an economical way to answer what fans want...  other companies have managed.

Just don't count on many Playset questions from us going to Hasbro.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 03:10 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 7, 2006, 04:11 AM »
Trying not to sound like a grouchy kid, or beat a dead horse here.   Playsets simply will not sell well if they suck,  or limit the amount of play/display/imagination of the buyer.  The Mustafar set sucked because one could only do so much with it.  I'm guessing that most of the people here are looking for a great way to display other hard earned money spent on a luxury.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: September 7, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I agree...  Hasbro's really aimed playsets at a market that doesn't necessarilly support the higher ticketed items and I think that's something to consider as to why sets haven't sold well...

Then again collectors themselves have a pissy track record with putting their money where their mouths are...  I think if Hasbro could keep price in the $20 range for small cube-shaped, stackable/attachable sets, they would have something profitable for themselves, fans would like it, and retailers wouldn't be pissed because they're small enough to not take up too much space...  Something simple and something where buying multiples is a positive and it's infinitely expandable. 

I think there IS a chance it could work but obviously Hasbro's shown that they disagree completely...  Either they feel they can't acheive some of the objectives I listed or they feel the concept is too aimed at one market, etc...  Either way playsets just don't seem a likelihood anytime soon.  Stranger stuff's happened though of course, but I know I'm not going to be holding my breath. :)

Sets like the Mustafar set though indeed sucked, and deserved to sit at retail... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2006, 05:13 PM »
I need a new death star playset! The should re-release the round palitoys version or create a two level one that combines the round design of the palitoys version with the multi levels of the Kenner one. Hell, just re-release the original kenner one and I'd be happy. The crap they came out with for POTF2 was a joke.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 7, 2006, 10:47 PM »
I don't think all hope is lost, so I will keep trying. That dagobah X-wing box is just about what I am looking for anyway (backgrounds, props, a nice presentation).

The Hasbro party line seems to be: "There has been a lot of discussion internally on whether this could be successful in today's market. However, we continue to see diminished demand for playsets. If we ever see the landscape changing, it's something we could take a look at in the future." (taken from the Hasbor Q & A summary)

Well, I want to help change the landscape. Give me plastic boxes with props like that Dagobah X wing. Pimp my figures! Really, they have been moving that way with the scene-specific cardbacks and increased "setting" to the ships (Y-wing, OTC slave 1, new X wing). It's just another step away...

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 06:23 PM »
The Hasbro party line seems to be: "There has been a lot of discussion internally on whether this could be successful in today's market. However, we continue to see diminished demand for playsets. If we ever see the landscape changing, it's something we could take a look at in the future."

(taken from the Hasbor Q & A summary)

Like I said earlier, they take their sales into account to decide this. By no one buying their most recent POS M. set(which, I might add was a POS because we asked for cheaper prices which equals cheaper design and Man. costs) they decide there's no demand.

If luck is thrown our way with a playset once again folks should buy it anyway..even if it is a POS or Hasbro will revert to their stance. Just buying a POS would at the minimum open doors for more stuff to be made at least anyway.

On the other hand, suggesting, expecting or even asking Hasbro to make anything similar to the high-end playsets shown above is ******* ridiculous. How much would they really 'make' on something like that anyway? They would make it then lose because no one would buy(because it was too expensive) and retailers would say no because they're smart enough to know that would not hit the market of their buyers. Thankfully, Hasbro knows this too and coupled with poor sales of recent playsets(those Geo sets were okay but man did they ever sit..and..clearance out) are smart enough to avoid this vicous cycle again. I'm sure retailers have learned their lesson as well on how well*or unwell* the playsets sell to refuse further ideas from Hasbro.

Alot of this talk sounds 'polished beautiful' and all I don't see it coming to fruition(for several years at least) :( 

Hasbor had a Q and A? Who dat?

The DS

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 01:43 AM »
Well in a way the at-at is a playset, I meen you can display you figures and use it as a vehicle...
Clone Commander Appo.