Author Topic: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin  (Read 84507 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2007, 10:00 PM »
That's not much of an argument as to why the DST may (or may not) suck...  And contrary to popular belief, the U.S. isn't a vast field of every action figure you want, when you want.  I haven't seen one figure from Wave 2 in my area and as I recall Wave 1 was up in Canada long before I saw them...  Sooooooooo, yeah, that DST may be sucking.  I don't have him to say, but that picture (if it's not as Jay says, I'm not a photo expert but I know he has an eye for that stuff) really turns me somewhat on the DST.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #301 on: April 18, 2007, 08:51 AM »
I did some comparison shots with other decent sculpt Imperial Troops and he doesn't come across as being that much taller. But compared to Luke from Wave 2 he definitely towers above him.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:46 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2007, 09:35 AM »
Not to mention the fact that the DS Trooper towers over the Votc Stormtrooper as well.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2007, 11:35 AM »
Wow all those Imperials in black do look really cool standing with each other.  With the upcoming Legends line it's really disappointing that Hasbro wouldn't upgrade slightly the Imperial officer by giving him the legs of either the DSG or TIE pilot, or give him angle cut arms so he could at least put his arms down.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2007, 12:01 PM »
After having a couple of the DS Troopers for about a week or so now.  I finally got around to trying to see what other heads fit the peg.  So far all I've got is Moff JJ, perfect fit, if you repaint the hat black he looks like the guy in ROTJ; "Inform the Commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived."  Also the white Endor troopers head fits, a little tight, but it still goes on and off good and he kinda looks like the old guy on the back of the cardback.  Now I'd assume of course that the black endor trooper would fit as well but have yet to dig him out.  Thing I noticed on the cardback is that the uniform should have the little pocket for the the rank cylinder things, that's where the cord for the earphones go.  As for the boots, how accurate to film they are I don't know but why let it bug since they looks exactly like Obi pilot and nobody seemed to complain about how he looked.  Or is it just the film accuracy?
Sounds like I need a few more Moffs...to make some Death Squad Commanders!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 18, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I got the DST yesterday.  Thoughts on it since I've had it in hand?

POSTIIVES
-Overall good sculpt.  This is probably the first truly posable Imperial in a black tunic that we've gotten.  It looks much cleaner than the Imperial Officers in the black jumpsuits.

-Head sculpt.  Pretty cool.  Definitely not too generic.

-Helmet.  Well done and stays on easily.  The chin strap keeps the helmet stable.

-Holster.  Functional holsters really do add to a figure in a good way.

-Elbow joints.  The ball joints in this figure's elbows function well and they're unobtrusive.

NEGATIVES
-Too tall.  He's towering over other Imperials.  And mind you that this figure's legs are spread pretty wide.  Bring the legs together and he's that much taller.

-Shoulder joints are too blocky.  The articulation wasn't well camoflaged here.  So the ball joint winds up making this trooper look like he's got shoulder pads on.

-Knees are knobby/not straight enough.  Again, the ball joint is a cool feature but it's not well hidden.  Also, the lower right leg is canted out in a way that doesn't look natural.  It seems like the joint wasn't properly aligned in the knee.

-Tunic skirt should be split on the sides.  But alas it isn't.  That limits the overall posability of the figure.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2007, 03:36 PM »
Jay, that comparison shot eases some of my fears, especially as it dulls the sheen on the costume...  The height thing looks substantially less distracting.  At least it looks less distracting than Vander's height is to me.  Cool shot with the other black suited impy's.  Curious how he stacks against a stormtrooper like was noted, but they should be about the height of the Imp. Officer figure so I have a vague idea about that regardless.

Thanks man, I appreciate that.  The ball joiints look really a lot better in your photo too. 

The knees don't bother me because they really do (when you think about the costume's look) appear like the bunched up fabric at the top of the boots, as they should in a way.  The shoulders don't match the squared look of the Imperial costume but I think that's what Hasbro was attempting...  Trying to hide the ball/socket in the "sharp" angle of broad shouldered jacket the Imperials wear.  Tough (impossible?) to do with a ball/socket joint I guess but I see the attempt.

The elbows look fine...  The height's only slightly distracting too, so it's improving to me, again... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 18, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Still no sign of these locally, although I got a few (Han, Luke, Biggs) via HTS earlier this week.  I got a chance to put them into the display, and its amazing how much the Ceremonial Luke has changed from POTF2 to now.  Its like two different characters, which I suppose is often the case with the buff figures from that time period.  Although this new Luke isn't exactly perfect (the paleness/head bother me a bit), it sure is a far cry from the older one.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Man, I picked the wrong year to quit online ordering and try 'traditional' means.

I haven't seen a trace of this wave...or anything outside of R2, Mace and Obi Wan for that matter.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 18, 2007, 04:57 PM »
Ruiner, I'm in the same boat except that I found one lone Rebel Honor Guard and Han at a semi-local Target last week.  Even though it seems that everybody's grandma has this wave, it's hardly out in force yet, not even appearing at Wal-Marts as far as I know.
Those pics are terrific!  I love me some articulation, but I can't help noticing the more natural sculpting of the POTJ trooper at the neck, elbow, and pants/boot threshold in the comparison pic.  Still, altering poses in a group shot is better than perfect pant wrinkles I guess.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 18, 2007, 05:00 PM »
There haven't been any signs of Wave 2 here yet either, so hopefully more stock is on the way everywhere.  Heck, our WM hasn't even gotten any Wave 1 in, they're still full of Enboo stuff from TSC.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2007, 05:14 PM »

I think that photo from RS above is a composite, so scaling from figure to figure might be off some...

I wish.

That's his actual height and scale.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2007, 05:27 PM »
There haven't been any signs of Wave 2 here yet either, so hopefully more stock is on the way everywhere.  Heck, our WM hasn't even gotten any Wave 1 in, they're still full of Enboo stuff from TSC.

Exact same situation here, except I've got Greatest Battles instead of Endboo. Looking forward to this wave though.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2007, 05:46 PM »
I wish.

That's his actual height and scale.

Yep, that's why I did my own comparison. He is taller, but looks great with others of his kind.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #314 on: April 19, 2007, 01:08 AM »
I don't have these either, but they've hit several stores in my area in sporadic numbers.  And they have hit at Wal-Mart around Pittsburgh but only a case here, a case there...  Same with TRU (though they seemed to pop up in more than one case at a time, but got cleaned out right away), and Target has been a case here and a case there...

I've not seen a single figure though from this wave.  I just know what the locals are finding.  Target, WM, and TRU all 3 have gotten these in around me though, but in very short quantities.

All in good time though.  I can't speak for you guys but we're still loaded with Saga at some stores.  There's a Boussh Leia army at my one WM that fills all 10 pegs.