Author Topic: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin  (Read 84506 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 30th Anniversary Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #240 on: January 8, 2007, 05:27 PM »
I ordered a case of Wave 2 from New Force Comics - just $79.94 shipped (works out to $6.66 per figure).

Can't beat that price.  It's basically the same as Target, but shipped right to your door!  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 3, 2007, 09:56 AM »
NFC has been sold out of this wave for a while now. For whatever reason, I had been checking back, just in case more became available and it payed off. I was able to order one case yesterday.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nick

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2007, 02:37 AM »
Received my wave 2 yesterday and I was disappointed.

Han Solo - Nice detail, good articulation but Han looks anorexic and a tad lanky.

Rebel Guard - woeful figure.  Reminds of a 70's plastic solider.  Cheap and nasty.

Death Star Trooper - Ok sculpting, ok articulation but what do The Empire give thier men in way of vitamins?  This chap has a serious does of rickets and he looks ridiculous.

Luke Skywalker - I like this one.  Nice sculpting, some really nice detail and decent likeness.

Biggs Darklighter - The best figure in the wave but still Hasbro **** it up with the ROM of Bigg's right arm.

Concept Bobe Fett - love the two heads but thats about it.

Overall - not a single figure that I consider to be a must have or even decent addition to anyones collection.  Here's hoping wave 3 is better.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Wave 2 already, I just found the first wave. Where did you find them?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2007, 10:29 AM »
can you please provide us with pictures of wave 2? not doubting you just curious of what they look like in their final form.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Nick

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Wave 2 already, I just found the first wave. Where did you find them?

I'm Uk based and R2Dtoys tend to get figures in well before thier official release date.

Will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2007, 10:07 AM »
Pics anyone? Wow, I think wave 2 looks great.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2007, 10:56 AM »

Rebel Guard - woeful figure.  Reminds of a 70's plastic solider.  Cheap and nasty.

Death Star Trooper - Ok sculpting, ok articulation but what do The Empire give thier men in way of vitamins?  This chap has a serious does of rickets and he looks ridiculous.

I don't know man, both are 14 points of articulation, removable helmets, nice sculpt.  Both look pretty nice to me.  It sounds to me especially with the Rebel Honor Guard that you just don't like the movie character or the uniform.  I hope more people feel like this, it'd make it easier for me to army build the hell out of them.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:57 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2007, 12:45 PM »

Han Solo - Nice detail, good articulation but Han looks anorexic and a tad lanky.

Luke Skywalker - I like this one.  Nice sculpting, some really nice detail and decent likeness.

Biggs Darklighter - The best figure in the wave but still Hasbro **** it up with the ROM of Bigg's right arm.

Concept Bobe Fett - love the two heads but thats about it.

Overall - not a single figure that I consider to be a must have or even decent addition to anyones collection.  Here's hoping wave 3 is better.

Really? I think this wave looks more awesome than you describe, but that's just me and I've only seen pictures. Biggs and Luke do look incredible though and Rebel Honor Guard does indeed look like a cheap 70s plastic soldier, cheap and nasty.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2007, 01:53 PM »

I feel somewhat the same about this one, and that's just based on the images.  I had high expectations of this figure, but I think this may be an instance where the articulation is negatively impacting the final product.  The joints look a bit bulbous, and not as well camouflaged as they are on some other figures like the Saga Gold Dutch Vander & TIE Pilot.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I agree with Dressel that I think you're being hard on the honor guard because of the character's outfit more than the quality of the figure, but that's ok too...  I find some stuff boring and it influences my opinion on things as well Nick.

The Death Star Trooper's a mixture.  I think I see some of what Hasbro was actually going with and it's not that the articulation wasn't hidden, at least from what I've seen, as much as it's their attempt at using the ball joint as PART of the sculpt.  For instance the knees especially...  The joint is at the top of the boot where the pants on the IMperial uniforms bunch up.  I thinK Hasbro was going for a bunched up "ball" of pants at that joint and it's not that the sculpting was bad...  It just makes the joint now look poofier, and to us more noticeable.

The elbows I can't tell if they're hideous or not from photos...  I'm curious to see it in person.  The shoulders though I think Hasbro was again trying to capture something of the Imperial uniform jacket by incorporating the ball/sockets as part of the sculpt.  The Imperial jackets are a little broader and "sharp".  A ball/socket's not easy to slip in there so I think the way the joint sits out is an attempt to sort of give that broader shoulder look to it.  Can't say myself how well that turned out though of course.  I've noticed they try to use ball/sockets to their advantage as part of the sculpt where possible though.  To me the knees are going to be fine I think, because of where the joint is.  It's the arms I hope are nicer looking in person.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 1, 2007, 12:06 AM »
im starting to think people hate the rebel guard only because he is not in a white uniform with a helmet that looks like it is smiling at you if you turn it upside down.

wave 2 looks awsome though. the DST figure looks good. he knee joints look fine and i am betting that it is just uniform and Jesse is right. they did they same thing on obi i beleive. the honor guard looks awsome. i am only hoping he looks as good in person. he is something different that we don't have.

luke is a well overdue figure and looks to be fantastic.

boba...well nuff said :)

biggs is another good looking figure although i would have prefered them to use a new sculpt but owell. he is a pilot and we dont have many of them.( good ones that is)

and Han well i have a luke from the falcon shooting scene with the head set buy never a Han. now i get my chance for that han and i am excited to get him.

this wave looks amazing and i cant wait for it. not saying it is the best but its got some pretty good figures with all of them being close to SA
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 1, 2007, 01:53 AM »
Looking very forward to this wave...

Han Solo - don't really need another Han, but I'm sure I'll get one, but no more than one.

Luke - I'll get one, maybe two if it seems to have good customizing potential.

Biggs - Already have at least 20 of Dutch Vander, and it's the same sculpt, so just one Biggs for me.

Fett - Hard to say, I like how it looks but I'm really considering a huge scale back on collecting this year.  A couple years ago I would have wanted at least a dozen of these for a fan fic army, but not I'm really only wanting a few.

Death Star Trooper - I hope I can hold back and just get 4-6 of these but chance are, on this one I WILL get at least a dozen.

Yavin Guard - Looks like the BEST figure out of the wave to me... generic looking figures like this that can be used in so many dioramas are a rarity I think, so I want a lot of these... have to get them.

:P

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #253 on: April 2, 2007, 03:09 PM »
Quick rundown, I got this wave last week via HK air ship at $89 for the case, overall a superb wave. My biggest complaint is the MQ Boba Fett. He literally falls in half when you try to open his concealed waist gun. the plug connection is so thin, not good for kids but still a cool figure overall. My other complaint is Lukes molded skin color. Its exactly like Habros ML White Queen so it takes away from the figure even though he is a nice sculpt. The Han is very cool and not as kit bashed as you think armas and legs are new but the real run away perfection is the Death Star Trooper he is the best figure in the wave. The case ratio is as follows x2 of everyone. Biggs is nice and the Ceromonial Dude is a bit boring but made very well. I am definatly army building with the DS trooper!
« Last Edit: April 2, 2007, 03:10 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 2, 2007, 09:55 PM »
That sounds great!  Can you take any pics?  Also, how does the Luke compare in size to any of his previous incarnations?
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke